Alpha Omega Horizons Math

jo-jo

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013
I'm new to homeschooling as of this year and I find Horizons math to be excellent for my first grader. Both teacher and student are happy with the curriculum. We really like the math manipulative as there are not too much or too little of them. We will be purchasing the 2nd grade level soon.

CalmingTea

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 27, 2013
  • Dates used: 2011-current
Horizons Math is amazing. I have used K, 1, 3, and now 4 with my dd. Every year it gets very very difficult in the second book. And every year I think my dd is not going to be able to do Horizons anymore. But we always truck on. We slow down lessons, all the way from 3 pages to 1 page per day. I teach the difficult new concepts carefully and re teach if necessary and then CLICK! A light turns on in her brain, and she moves forward, and amazes me.

My dd has seen Saxon and tried it for a few weeks and it had her in tears with how easy and boring it was. The black and white pages also made her depressed. She loves the color and cheerfulness of Horizons and sometimes draws cute little mice or cats alongside their artwork.

My dd loves math and she says, "I'm good at math. It's one of my best subjects!" and it is! She is doing some math concepts right now, in 4th grade, that some kids don't do until 6th grade. And she truly understand the concepts.

My dd happens to have the abillity to apply those concepts to real life and word problems, but you may want to supplement here and there with real life math and word problems because Horizons does not have a lot of those, or of mental math. We use the Mental Math from my son's old Saxon books because I love their Mental Math. MY dd thinks it's fun.

Now, if your child is average in math skills, use Horizons a half a book lower than grade level. Also be forewarned that in 4th grade and up you do need some notebook paper (we use graph paper) for extra work on the side, as there really isn't quite enough room for all your child's work.

Mommy101

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 26, 2013
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
Overall, I believe Horizons demonstrates a solid program with enough color to interest my daughter. However, I have found the Teacher's Manual to be of no help whatsoever, excluding the answer section! The daily lesson instruction is full of objectives with no real instruction on how to teach the new concepts. I have had to refer to you tube in order to clarify how to regroup mixed fractions or add/subtract fractions with differing denominators, for example. Au other program we have used for Math had much more to offer in terms of teaching tips for Mom. Interestingly, my 6 years olds are using Horizons K this year and it offers loads of instructions for the teacher. Why would a parent need excessive instructions in Kindergarten math, and none in 6th grade math? That does not make any sense. I have found this to be quite frustrating this year and we will not be using Horizons next year. I would not recommend this program to anyone in higher elementary/middle school math.

gracereceiver97

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: K-5th
  • Dates used: 2007-2013
I have a generally favorable opinion of the Horizons Math program. I have used it since I first start home schooling in 2007, beginning with Kindergarten. I am currently using it for 4th and 5th grade Math, and I plan on using it again next year as well.

Each lesson starts with an explanation of the introduced concept followed by problems to test the knowledge of the concept. Then previous concepts are reviewed from lesson to lesson. This way the student usually remembers how to do the different math theories. If my children already know how to do some of the math concepts that are presented to them over and over again I will often have them skip the problems. But the reinforcement IS helpful.

I like the full-color work book pages. And my children enjoy the fun puzzles. I also like that the majority of these puzzles contain Bible verses. It is wonderful how Horizons incorporates the Bible into its math.

I would suggest that if you are going to try Horizons you start with the younger grades. I have heard that it can be challenging for some students to transition from other curriculums to Horizons; Horizons seems to be more difficult or advanced. My children do not have a problem with the lessons being too challenging, but I HAVE used this program with them all along. And I'd like to add that my children are at different skill-levels when it comes to their math abilities. Therefore I personally do not find Horizons to be too challenging for my children.

I mostly use the Teacher's Guides for the answer keys. The supplemental worksheets that can be purchased for $5-$10 are helpful to have instead of constant photocopying at home.
12345678910...