Hooked on Phonics

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 5, 2016
  • Grades Used: Pre K-Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2012-2013 & 2015-2016
I really enjoyed this for pre-k. It introduced letters and sounds well and my child had fun while retaining all the information. However, it didn't work well for us in Kindergarten. If your child has a natural aptitude for reading, this might work fine but mine did not learn to read through this program. Yes, she is quick at memorizing things without truly grasping them so I discovered she could make her way easily through some of the lessons without learning how to read at all. She graduated from the program and I was frustrated to find that, even though she made it through, she could not read AT ALL and, quite frankly, hated even trying. So, half way through the school year, I reintroduced the book "Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons" and had to start from scratch. Granted, reading doesn't come easily to her and we've shed a few tears along the way, but, thank God, with this new book she is reading and reading outstandingly well. AND now it flows easily for her. So, with Hooked on Phonics, yay for pre-k, nay for Kindergarten.

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 8, 2014
  • Grades Used: K and 3rd remedial
  • Dates used: 2014
We are in our 9th year of homeschooling. I have taught several children to read using other curriculums. I just decided to try HOP this year with my daughter (K) and am kicking myself for not using this sooner!! It is awesome! I don't know why I never consisered at as reading curriculum before. I guess I just thought it was more of a game. I bought the newest version of K from christianbook. It has DVDs in it, colorful readers, and the layout of the workbooks are more interesting. I liked it so much, and my daughter started reading right away. I decided to get some and work on remedial with my 8 year old son. He has learning challenges and is not reading well at all. I bought and old 1993 edition from ebay. This edition has the tapes, flashcards, and the workbooks are just plain lines, and it has no reading books. It is working very well for my sond though and he is making tremendous progress. It's like reading excercise for the brain. He gets tired easy so we are just taking it slow, doing two pages a day. But I can already tell a difference in his reading. Now, I've done some research because I like a mix of these versions best. (I like the music tapes better than the dvd's that come with the newer version, and I like the flashcards in the old edition, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have reading books) So i found a version that has both. It is the 2005 version. The box that has both colors on the front (like orange and red and says 1st grade) K is yellow and purple, and 2nd is blue and green. This version has the music on cd, it has the flashcards, and the reading books. This is the best version in my opinion.
My Kindergartner is doing CLE Kindergarten II (which I love, love, love!) and HOP as her curriculum. After 3 previous kindergarten children I have found the perfect K curriculum.
Hooked On Phonics is a great curriculum for learning to read OR for remedial work.

• Reviewed on Friday, April 19, 2013
  • Grades Used: boxes 1 (yellow) - 5 (blue)
  • Dates used: 2004-2013
I used these with my daughter, starting when she was 3 years old. She is now in the 5th grade and reading at the college level.

I started my son at the same age. He is now 5 1/2 years old and has completed levels 1-5. He is now working through the Master Reader series.

The Hooked on Phonics series has been amazing. My children are reading far, far beyond grade level and parents jaws actually drop when they hear my children read.

• Reviewed on Monday, March 25, 2013
  • Grades Used: Pre k
  • Dates used: Sept 2012- Still using it
I am still getting the hang of it! I have the complete set 1-5(I think it the complete set lol), Very easy to use. I use it with Looney Tunes Phonics. Love it!