Hooked on Phonics

galabar

• Reviewed on Friday, April 19, 2013
  • Grades Used: boxes 1 (yellow) - 5 (blue)
  • Dates used: 2004-2013
I used these with my daughter, starting when she was 3 years old. She is now in the 5th grade and reading at the college level.

I started my son at the same age. He is now 5 1/2 years old and has completed levels 1-5. He is now working through the Master Reader series.

The Hooked on Phonics series has been amazing. My children are reading far, far beyond grade level and parents jaws actually drop when they hear my children read.

janean92

• Reviewed on Monday, March 25, 2013
  • Grades Used: Pre k
  • Dates used: Sept 2012- Still using it
I am still getting the hang of it! I have the complete set 1-5(I think it the complete set lol), Very easy to use. I use it with Looney Tunes Phonics. Love it!

momof3ns&p

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 22, 2013
  • Grades Used: Pre K - 2nd Grade
  • Dates used: 2008-2012
I have taught 2 of my children to read using this program. It was easy to use, truly open-and-go, and the kids loved it!

It is not a complete LA program, and I think maybe that is why it gets some bad reviews. Perhaps those disappointed with it were expecting a complete program? Anyway, HOP only teaches reading, so if you're looking for a complete program, this isn't for you. However, if you want a gentle and effective approach to teach your child to read, you may want to check this out.

One of the things I loved most about HOP was how quickly my children were reading "real" books. They were very simple, with sentences like, "Cat sat," but what a morale booster for the kids! They were so excited when they were able to read a book for the first time.

Some reviews have complained about the CDs included with the program, and I must confess, my kids hated going through the CDs. However, there is no hard and fast rule that says you must follow along with the CDs. We just simply quit using them and went with just the workbooks and flashcards.

My daughter is now in 4th grade and is an excellent reader, and my son is halfway through 1st grade and just completed the program (through 2nd grade level). Both are reading well above grade level. Hooked on Phonics made my job easy as a homeschooling mom. I would highly recommend it!

Wumsmama

• Reviewed on Sunday, September 23, 2012
  • Grades Used: Pre-K
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
Not the program for us (to start with at least). I purchased the entire system at once because it was the best price. I attempted to start my 3.5 year old on the Pre-k set last year and she wasn't ready yet. A year later, we started again and although she is engaged by the DVD, she gets easily bored with the website games. So far, there are only two different games for both the Pre-K levels 1 & 2. Each letter has a "game" but it just alternates between the same two. I also don't feel that the workbook gives enough practice so we supplement with other materials as well. The flashcards are ok, but we found the Leapfrog Tag Junior flashcards to be MUCH better (they're interactive!). For the price, I guess I just expected more of an inclusive system.

Finally, as an ECE, I am not a fan of teaching the alphabet in order. I have used several different approaches/ systems in my own classroom, but almost exclusively start with the consonants and base the introduction on contrasting sounds and the ease of comparison between the sound and letter name (i.e. m & b are introduced first because the letter name and sound are similar and I introduce them together because the sounds are very different from each other).

With all that being said, after reviewing the material in the subsequent grades, we may continue to use the program as a supplement once she progresses out of the emergent and letter name stages.
12345678910...