A Beka History

J in VA

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 14, 2011
  • Grades Used: k-4
  • Dates used: 2005-2009
I found the K-3 fair to good but not overly impressive.

My comments are mostly about 4th grade.I found it to be quite patriotic and seeming to promote that to be Christian is to be pro-America. I also did not like that the entire 20th century was crammed into the last chapter or two of the book and primarily dealt with WW1 and WW2 as if they were the only things that happened for that whole century. Perhaps spreading US history over two years would have allowed greater coverage and depth.

The books seem to have a bit of a spiral approach which I like for math but not history. By the end of 4th grade, my dd was moaning about history (usually one of her favorite subjects) and was begging to study some other history from some other perspective.

Homeschool Child

• Reviewed on Friday, September 10, 2010
  • Grades Used: K5-4th
  • Dates used: 1999-2003
I used this for the first 5 years I was in elementry school. I liked it for the first 2 years and then after that I hated it. It was very boring. It just covered names and dates nothing more. There are much better curriculems out there to use.

Jen F

• Reviewed on Friday, March 5, 2010
  • Dates used: 2006-2009
There are things I liked and did not like about this history program:

Pros:

This curriculum is not concerned about political correctness; it just tells history the way it was, but in an age-appropriate manner.

It presents the Founding Fathers and America in general in a positive light.

In addition to the usual historical figures, I read about important people that I never learned about in public school. My son is more fully informed than I was at his age.

The books present the Bible as being accurate and truthful, and in the 5th grade history book, it explained who many of the ancient peoples mentioned in the Bible are, and who their modern descendents are. This helped ME immensely in my understanding of the Bible and the current Middle East conflicts.

Good, practical, geography lessons. Lots of maps and worksheets which my son loves.

Cons:

This is a traditional, memorize-names-and-dates approach.

It doesn't delve as deeply as I would like into topics.

It is very Pro-Protestant. My Catholic husband was irritated at the subtle jabs made toward the Catholic Church. They went over my son's head, but did not escape our notice.

All I can say is attend a materials display (you can find one near you at www.abeka.org), flip through a history book, and check it out for yourself. I hope this helps!

SoaringEagle

• Reviewed on Friday, January 8, 2010
  • Grades Used: Grade 1
  • Dates used: September 2009 - January 8, 2010
We just finished reading the grade 1 reader, My America and My World. Even though it was short, I liked it and my dd did too. We read 2-3 pages once a week. Very colorful, beautiful pictures, overview of some of our presidents, symbols, states, countries, etc. I'll be using this with my son too. A gentle intro to history.