Landry Academy

home4028

• Reviewed on Saturday, October 18, 2014
  • Dates used: Oct 2014
We took the plunge and signed our son up for the Physical Science two day lab intensive. This comprised of two whole days of labs and science activities. We had not had any experience with Landry academy prior to this intensive.

Our son was understandably hesitant regarding this class. After all, he would be stuck for two whole days with kids he didn't know in a class he wasn't sure he'd like. But, the class was great. The teacher had great classroom skills, knew her information, kept the kid's attention, and conducted the class well. As for the social aspect of the class - my son had a great time and made new friends. We would gladly sign up for another Landry science intensive again.

Pros: With this class a whole years worth of science labs are taken care of in two days led by a knowledgable teacher with supplies I didn't have to hunt down, purchase, and then store. While the labs aren't exactly the same as in our chosen science book, they are similar and teach the same general concepts. As for lab reports, the kids were to complete a lab report as homework the first day and then the teacher went over what they wrote the next. With that guidance and input, they could then complete the remaining lab reports on their own. These then complete the lab science.

Cons: The price - it's a bit steep. Yet, now that we are done with the class, I think it was worth the cost. You can get discounts by signing up early for classes (up to a year in advance). The location. While the class was located near a larger city, it was still a trek for us and staying overnight just wasn't an option.

Given those considerations, I would gladly recommend this class and will most likely sign up for another intensive in the future.

wdworkman

• Reviewed on Monday, November 19, 2012
  • Dates used: 2012
My son did his first Landry Lab intensive (Physical Science) last week and loved it. The whole thing was very well organized. He and a couple of other boys were even doing some extra things on their own during break time and working together on the "homework" between day 1 & 2. If we can afford it, I'm sure we'll sign up for another one next year.

The kids were put into groups to do the labs and work together. It seemed like a very relaxed, fun atmosphere, but they really got a lot done in two days. They come home with a comb bound notebook which contains an explanation/directions of each lab followed by the pages where they've written in their results. I think it will be easy to refer back to this notebook as he works on Science throughout the year.