Math Lessons for a Living Education

susieinms

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 15, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
We are almost finished with Book 4. I have to say this has been the math that has "clicked" for my daughter!

Most math books have cluttered pages. My daughter sees a sea of numbers and shuts down. This one is not overwhelming.

There is a story line throughout the book that keeps my little girl eagerly awaiting the next lesson.

And on top of that there are, what we call, fun days! These are days when math comes to life. Lessons which include going on a scavenger hunt for objects which have the same shapes she is learning about. I have to admit finding a nonagon was not a success, but it was fun and she learned the shape. Then there are cooking days, shopping days, measurement days.

How is this for real life: make a menu using a cook book for recipes, go shopping for ingredients, then cook. The child gets planning, addition, subtraction, factions and cooking all in a very practical way.

Square footage is taught buy drawing your home's floor plan and then measuring all rooms. Again in a very practical setting, the child is learning perimeter and area.

The way fractions, decimals, and percents are taught as being the same thing is pure genius! The charts which you print and laminate (or cover with contact paper or page protectors) makes working some problems with dry erase more enjoyable than just working in the workbook.

I have only two issues, but they are easily overcome and the good outweighs the not so good by a long shot.
1) For math where it is hard for the child to remember how to do, such as long division, there is not enough practice. I would prefer just a tad bit more in this area, so I add about 2 problems every now and then.
2) In this book the fraction cards your child is supposed to measure out and cut is quite difficult. I decided to measure and draw them myself and let daughter cut them out. One set was so complicated that I needed a special ruler to accomplish. Having said that, the last set can be done without if you wish. These would be better off provided as a printable.

Okay, long story short: if you have a child who learns best with real life, shuts down with pages and pages of numbers, enjoys a good story, then MLFLE may be just the math you want! We are very grateful for it and wish there were more levels than 5.

mshanson3121

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 13, 2013
  • Dates used: May 2013 -
We are only a few weeks into the course, on Lesson 5, but so far we are really enjoying this math course. I find it gives a good amount of review, without being too much review. Plus, you learn other neat facts along the way (like learning about eggs for one example). My son enjoys the stories. I find it gentle, but not easy in content, meaning that it's a solid program, approached in a gentle way. All the manipulatives you need are either included or can be found around the house. I love that there aren't pages of dozens of questions for each lesson, which just overwhelms my son. There are normally 3-5 questions per lesson. It's designed to be used daily, taking 1 week to introduce each new concept, and every week gives you review of concepts previously learned. Truly enjoy this!