Reading Eggs

annegirl1919

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 24, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: spring 2012
this was a wonderful way for a child to get instruction and practice learning to read without the homeschooling parent's direct and/or constant involvement. for a busy homeschooling parent looking for a fun way for a child to learn a subject without you, give this a try! you can get a free trial, and by the end of ours, i was quite glad to buy a subscription.

StephR

• Reviewed on Friday, January 20, 2012
  • Grades Used: Kinder/1st
  • Dates used: 2010
We signed up for reading eggs when they had a special so it was something like $69 for the year. We thought it was a great deal for a year because although our daughter is a great reader (picked up some second grade books and seriously considering Konos--just can't find anything bad about it!) it's great, I believe for someone lower leveled then her because it was a lot of repetition for her, but I thought repetition would be good. Only bad or maybe just her skill level, she'd find ways just to do play-games vs learning-games so we had to watch her closely. OR...maybe her great reading ability is due to reading eggs. Our subscription is up and she flew through all the levels but we are considering continuing for my son who is still on 1-10s and just learning ABCs and how to use computers. I think that's another thing, you've got to be able to trust your child on the computer. Overall review: HIGHLY recommend and will probably be back. :-)

missionarymom

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 19, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2011
I let my ds play for a 5 week free trial. I really did not think it would be worth paying $50 for a 6-month period. However, I was amazed at how much his reading improved during that 5 weeks! He went from barely reading short vowel words to reading almost everything! Many times I would ask him how he knew certain sounds (because I had not covered them with him), and he would say that he learned it from Reading Eggs. I decided that it really was worth the money. Two months later, he still loves to play Reading Eggs!

mommydebs

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 18, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st grade
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
Our son is eleven years old. He has ADHD, short term memory issues, moderate delays in expressive and receptive language, as well as cognitive issues. Reading and math are a big struggle for us, so I am constantly looking at things to help reinforce these skills. I believe Reading Eggs does that. It does not take the place of a full curriculum. However, as a tool to make learning to read more fun, it's great.

Each child gets an egg. He/She can decorate the egg according to preference. Your child will earn eggs to spend as he/she progresses through the lessons and builds skills through various games. My son loves his egg house. He works to earn eggs so he can put up posters, add furniture, and buy things for his "little egg guy."

The reason I decided to spend 50.00 for six months was a sample lesson my son did. First, they gave a quick test to place my son on the right level. Then, he started lessons, moving further and further along a brightly colored reading map. His first lesson was putting together a sentence. They showed the sentence, they read it to him. Then, all of the words fell to the ground. They read the sentence again and asked him to put it in the right order. He did, and then it fell again! He put it in order one more time, got some encouragement from the character on the screen and went on to the next little game. Now, I love this, because it involves the repetition factor that my son really needs. Not all games are like this. This is just one of many different types of games. At the end of each lesson a story will be read incorporating words the child has practiced in the form of several games.

At the very least, if you have a reluctant reader, a special needs child, or just a normal child needing a little reading practice, you should take the free trial and see if you like it. My son has completed 2 whole levels, and he still likes to play it every day. I am happy, because he is playing and learning.