Winning with Writing

Click for more information about Winning with Writing

CalmingTea

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 13, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
I don't know why more people aren't using this! Winning with Writing is so logical, orderly and clear. The 5th grade level comes in two semester books, each with space for most of the actual writing, as well as all the instructions. It is written clearly to the student, and follows a logical, orderly, step by step sequence. I think the author does a lovely job of not "talking down" to the children while still making the books friendly and approachable. This writing program teaches all of the genres and details of writing, poetry, fiction, as well as the all important essays and other types of communication. The author is definitely an orderly thinker. These books are affordable and they make sense.

I wanted something self teaching and clearly laid out but I did not want all the theological problems associated with using ACE or the CLE Mennonite curriculum. Also, the CLE has all LA tied together, which we did not need. With JakKris (the publisher of Winning with Writing) you can have separate grammar and writing and spelling, but it can all follow the same logical format and be mostly self teaching.

As with any program, your student will get more out of it if you interact with them on a daily basis. I plan to read the instructions with my daughter and check over her work every day. Even if no corrections are necessary, affirmation and encouragement is always useful.

ciskemama

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 6, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
I started using Growing with Grammar, Soaring with Spelling and Winning with Writing this year. We love the grammar, the spelling... but NOT really the writing. I felt the grammar and writing covered the same things, and the writing was very minimal. I added more writing that went along with the writing lessons they were learning. I just wanted more writing. I will stick with grammar and spelling (GREAT!) but will be searching for a better writing.

julie.brooks

• Reviewed on Saturday, March 30, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013
We switched to Winning With Writing in January after tiring of the previous writing program and feeling like there was very little writing in the writing program. My daughter loves the daily assignments in Winning With Writing-she actually looks forward to writing.

I like how the lessons start off with the basic sentence structure, move into identifying and correcting run-on and choppy sentences and then build up to constructing interesting sentences with the thoughtful use of descriptive writing.

We will use Winning With Writing for 3rd grade as well. (Winning With Grammar is also a great program.)

tracylynn75

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 11, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
We really have enjoyed Winning with Writing 2.
There is enough writing but not too much writing. There are light assignments 5 days a week. It is comprehensive and yet gentle.
We will definitely be continuing on with Winning with Writing 3.