Spelling Wisdom (Simply Charlotte Mason Co.)

home4028

• Reviewed on Monday, June 11, 2012
  • Grades Used: 4-5th
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
Spelling Widom uses a Charlotte Mason approach to spelling. These books teach spelling by using copywork and dictation exercises. Copywork is introduced, the student copies the work and notes how the words are spelled. Then, dictation is done with the student attempting to correctly spell each word as dictated. There's a little more to it than that, but there's the gist of it.

After using the list method of teaching spelling to my kids using various curriculum, I moved on to this method. Comparing Spelling Wisdom to the other curriculum I have used, I very much prefer the copywork and dictation method mainly because I see the results I am looking for- correct spelling. Spelling Wisdom has done all the work of finding appropriate quotes and literature to copy that introduce spelling words and concepts at an appropriate pace.

Each lesson consists of the quote/ copywork to be studied. We currently do 2 lessons per week and so the book we are going through now will last us about 2 years of school. That's why the books are arranged according to a range of grades and not just one separate book per grade. Also, as the student gets further along in his lessons, the quotes to study become longer. Note that Spelling Widsom book 1 is recommended for grades 3-5. This, according to information on the website, is because the Charlotte Mason approach suggests not attempting spelling lessons before 3rd grade.

These books are non-consumable so they may be purchased once and used over again. I also appreciate the construction with a spiral binding so the book lays flat while the student is doing their copywork.

I very much like this method of teaching Spelling and the Spelling Wisdom books are perfect for our needs. And, as the kids have become more proficient with their handwriting and typing, we use these exercises to practice those skills, also. We will definitely be sticking with the Spelling Wisdom books for years to come.

mommy2gr8kids03

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 5, 2011
  • Grades Used: Book 1: Grade 3
  • Dates used: Still using it.
We are currently loving this program! It is so pleasant to finally find a spelling program that works and doesn't feel like pointless drill work. The dictation sentences that are used are just right for the grade level, and even a little advanced, so don't feel like you have to rush through. We are covering one lesson a week right now but hope to move up to two a week soon if we can. It's a great program and we bought the pdf download which was great because I hate waiting for things to ship. LOL