Monarch Online (Alpha Omega)

eydee

• Reviewed on Friday, January 19, 2018
  • Dates used: 2018-Current
Finally! I have struggled for 10 years to find a curriculum that will work for us and this is it. We have only been using it for 2 weeks, but enough to know it is what we needed. I work from home and needed something fairly independent. I would recommend that you be involved throughout the day as needed to keep an eye on their progress and reassign as needed. The thing is this program is so flexible and easy to learn and use. A big selling point for me was membership payments at $39 per month made it possible to try it out and see if it would work. I could quit at any time. I can preview all the lessons, leave notes on each problem, control all grading. You really have so much control. I had tried time4learning for two weeks prior to this at $19.95 per month and there is no contest! And, coming from a Christian perspective I don't have to worry what will come up in this. You can choose any grade across the board for each subject, print out lessons. They have just done a wonderful job. It's no wonder it's one of Cathy Duffy's to picks!

troykati

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 1, 2015
  • Grades Used: 9th,5th,3rd
  • Dates used: August 2015-present
This is my first year homeschooling on my own and I LOVE this program. It is super user friendly and allows me to keep good records of what my kids are learning. It's definitely challenging for my 9th grader who has been in public school up until this point, but he says that he is actually remembering what he is learning.....how can you argue with that? It's great that when he is struggling with something that I can open my teacher page and the program takes me right to the spot in the lesson where the answer can be found. It makes helping him find the information easy without giving him the answer. The only thing that I wish is that there were more video demonstrations for the science projects, but youtube has been an awesome resource to use along side this. I would definitely recommend Monarch to both those who are new to homeschooling, and for seasoned families just looking to make things easier.

And the text to speech option is GREAT. The voices are realistic and the words are highlighted as they are read.

There is also a 30% military discount for active military on their yearly plan as well as electives, and their customer service has been wonderful.

aggielanddad

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 2, 2015
  • Grades Used: 5, 7, 8 soon all of high school
  • Dates used: 2011-2015
We used this when it was basically new..full of bugs. We used mixed curricula. Lifepacs, sometimes one or teo units, monarch for a subject, or additional information and testing.

We have used the placement tests to make sure we are jumping in at the right place. If you only used this at 12th geade level you no doubt missed the 9th grade units on research papers and essays. .. snd they are loaded with samples and references to both the parent and Student to make use of. Dare I say that you are not giing to get the mist out of this jumping in at the last grade level...

I have saved all the essay, research, book report and speech teaching tools on my Dropbox so if my son needs a reminder on how to make a great research or essay...he can go get the steps.

I should also say that if you drop your child off at school and do nothing else but let the teacher and school take care of him, then you have missed the first rule of parenting... stsy involved. The same is true of monarch, Lifepacs and s.o.s. ... don't expect the program to do it all for you.

We expect our son to take notes...by hand, keep a binder per subject. He writes out all vocab and uses in sentences before reading the assignment. We have usuall looked through everything the month before and have indicated where additional research, books, news articles and more are necessary.

AOP monarch and sos and Lifepacs are great tools...some doing work for you...but they still need YOUR HELP.

Our dear friends have a recent graduate that used sos and monarch all the way. ..and is on his way to a & m next fall...not bad for a so called deficient program with a lack of content and material!

g123

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 25, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
The technology of this curriculum is great in theory. The grading and scheduling work well. But this curriculum greatly suffers in actual material. Much of it is outdated. The videos and learning games are very shabby and elementary. The daily reading can range from one paragraph to several pages. The writing assignments are not well explained and often on topics barely covered in the reading, and of which research is overly difficult. The science and math subjects are perhaps the worst part of the curriculum along with the writing assignments and projects.

I could go on, but overall I would most definitely not recommend this curriculum unless a hefty overhaul is completed. Your child's education will suffer because of this curriculum.