Monarch Online (Alpha Omega)

aimsych

• Reviewed on Monday, April 8, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd & 5th
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
We are thrilled with Monarch! It is our first year homeschooling after being in a wonderful public school system. Monarch stepped right in at the appropriate grades seamlessly and then took my girl's academics to another level. As a homeschool "rookie", I appreciate the organization of the curriculum maps, the ease of grading and district reporting.

My kids love the technology and the discipline of the work calendars to keep pace properly with the program. One weakness I have feared in homeschooling is the lack of organization and keeping pace with educational standards ... Monarch solved these problems for me. We purchased two laptops (ours are Mac, but PCs are fine too) and we can do school on-the-go anywhere. Due to our extensive ministry travel schedule, this works perfectly for us! Kids can work independently on everything or we can read and "teach" the lessons aloud. One fun way is to run your computer into a large screen TV and do the lessons aloud on the big screen ... almost like a classroom smartboard.

As with any curriculum, there are weaknesses. I find that Monarch lacks some in creativity to keep the learning fun and engaging because you are anchored at a computer, but that is my strength! For me, the best part of teaching is the constant interaction with my children and ability to participate in a creative learning experience. Monarch enables me to do just that ... it covers all the academics thoroughly, aligns them with common core standards, gives me all the tools to keep up, and yet the flexibility to add many creative learning projects and experiences. And ... it includes them in the grading percentages! Just click "print" and a report comes out that you mail your school district. Thank the Lord!

Once you learn the parent portal and the many scheduling features, you can navigate through almost any issue. Monarch tech support is tremendous as well!

I've known many other families on Monarch who all have the same opinion. Our kids have been able to participate in state testing, NYS regents exams, and SATs without any issues. In fact, they are better prepared! They learn to test without stress, how to research topics and write tremendous reports, as well as how to become motivated, independent learners.

I highly recommend Monarch!

jacquestara

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 26, 2012
  • Dates used: 2012
We bought this program, to help our son work more indepenedantly this year considering we are travelling to China in November to bring home our 2.5 year old daughter.

Since the beginning of school, I've been racking my brain over WHAT is going on and why it's not working.

We have been using Saxon Math for the past 2 years and when doing a standardize test, our son (who just finished 6/5 Saxon) was testing (in comparison to public school children) to be working at a grade 8 level. When switching over to this grade 6 program, he has been getting C's, D's and F's. Quite startling, I'd say.

Both my son and I have been UBERLY frustrated and both often in tears. I thought to myself, this is certainly NOT easier than teaching him his lesson daily in Saxon and certainly won't be easier once we bring our lil' peanut home!

Though there ARE things I like about this program, we are officially switching back to our Saxon math and Growing with Grammar. For Science, Geog/Hist and Bible, we will stay with this program to feel we at least got some of our money's worth.

A few lesson's learned:
the math does not review work done in previous lessons (it's a 'do your lesson and move on').
keep in mind your child's learning type (my son's is 'getter done kinda guy' so with more independant programs, like this, I could not see in his body language if he 'got it' or if he did not)

Best of luck.

portnoi728

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 7, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: present
I ordered 3rd grade Bible & Math for my 9 year old son mainly because I have 3 younger children that were running wild during school time, and I needed some help that wasn't teacher intensive. After just 2 lessons, I realized this was NOT for us. It is not well done AT ALL! It is very expensive too. I requested a refund as I had only used it twice, but NO ONE responded to my emails. I decided to give it a try for a week, but my son hates it. The questions on the Bible are difficult to figure out what they are getting at, and require writing and spelling that is beyond his ability anyway. I am very disappointed that I wasted my money on this product and will not recommend it to anybody.

Carrilynn

• Reviewed on Tuesday, July 19, 2011
  • Grades Used: High School
  • Dates used: 7/2011
We are trying Biology for the upcoming year; will let you know.