Monarch Online (Alpha Omega)

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 1, 2015
  • Grades Used: 9th,5th,3rd
  • Dates used: August 2015-present
This is my first year homeschooling on my own and I LOVE this program. It is super user friendly and allows me to keep good records of what my kids are learning. It's definitely challenging for my 9th grader who has been in public school up until this point, but he says that he is actually remembering what he is can you argue with that? It's great that when he is struggling with something that I can open my teacher page and the program takes me right to the spot in the lesson where the answer can be found. It makes helping him find the information easy without giving him the answer. The only thing that I wish is that there were more video demonstrations for the science projects, but youtube has been an awesome resource to use along side this. I would definitely recommend Monarch to both those who are new to homeschooling, and for seasoned families just looking to make things easier.

And the text to speech option is GREAT. The voices are realistic and the words are highlighted as they are read.

There is also a 30% military discount for active military on their yearly plan as well as electives, and their customer service has been wonderful.

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 2, 2015
  • Grades Used: 5, 7, 8 soon all of high school
  • Dates used: 2011-2015
We used this when it was basically new..full of bugs. We used mixed curricula. Lifepacs, sometimes one or teo units, monarch for a subject, or additional information and testing.

We have used the placement tests to make sure we are jumping in at the right place. If you only used this at 12th geade level you no doubt missed the 9th grade units on research papers and essays. .. snd they are loaded with samples and references to both the parent and Student to make use of. Dare I say that you are not giing to get the mist out of this jumping in at the last grade level...

I have saved all the essay, research, book report and speech teaching tools on my Dropbox so if my son needs a reminder on how to make a great research or essay...he can go get the steps.

I should also say that if you drop your child off at school and do nothing else but let the teacher and school take care of him, then you have missed the first rule of parenting... stsy involved. The same is true of monarch, Lifepacs and s.o.s. ... don't expect the program to do it all for you.

We expect our son to take hand, keep a binder per subject. He writes out all vocab and uses in sentences before reading the assignment. We have usuall looked through everything the month before and have indicated where additional research, books, news articles and more are necessary.

AOP monarch and sos and Lifepacs are great tools...some doing work for you...but they still need YOUR HELP.

Our dear friends have a recent graduate that used sos and monarch all the way. ..and is on his way to a & m next fall...not bad for a so called deficient program with a lack of content and material!

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 25, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
The technology of this curriculum is great in theory. The grading and scheduling work well. But this curriculum greatly suffers in actual material. Much of it is outdated. The videos and learning games are very shabby and elementary. The daily reading can range from one paragraph to several pages. The writing assignments are not well explained and often on topics barely covered in the reading, and of which research is overly difficult. The science and math subjects are perhaps the worst part of the curriculum along with the writing assignments and projects.

I could go on, but overall I would most definitely not recommend this curriculum unless a hefty overhaul is completed. Your child's education will suffer because of this curriculum.

• Reviewed on Monday, April 8, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd & 5th
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
We are thrilled with Monarch! It is our first year homeschooling after being in a wonderful public school system. Monarch stepped right in at the appropriate grades seamlessly and then took my girl's academics to another level. As a homeschool "rookie", I appreciate the organization of the curriculum maps, the ease of grading and district reporting.

My kids love the technology and the discipline of the work calendars to keep pace properly with the program. One weakness I have feared in homeschooling is the lack of organization and keeping pace with educational standards ... Monarch solved these problems for me. We purchased two laptops (ours are Mac, but PCs are fine too) and we can do school on-the-go anywhere. Due to our extensive ministry travel schedule, this works perfectly for us! Kids can work independently on everything or we can read and "teach" the lessons aloud. One fun way is to run your computer into a large screen TV and do the lessons aloud on the big screen ... almost like a classroom smartboard.

As with any curriculum, there are weaknesses. I find that Monarch lacks some in creativity to keep the learning fun and engaging because you are anchored at a computer, but that is my strength! For me, the best part of teaching is the constant interaction with my children and ability to participate in a creative learning experience. Monarch enables me to do just that ... it covers all the academics thoroughly, aligns them with common core standards, gives me all the tools to keep up, and yet the flexibility to add many creative learning projects and experiences. And ... it includes them in the grading percentages! Just click "print" and a report comes out that you mail your school district. Thank the Lord!

Once you learn the parent portal and the many scheduling features, you can navigate through almost any issue. Monarch tech support is tremendous as well!

I've known many other families on Monarch who all have the same opinion. Our kids have been able to participate in state testing, NYS regents exams, and SATs without any issues. In fact, they are better prepared! They learn to test without stress, how to research topics and write tremendous reports, as well as how to become motivated, independent learners.

I highly recommend Monarch!