ACE Science

churchkeys

• Reviewed on Friday, August 24, 2012
  • Grades Used: 9th Biology
  • Dates used: 2012
I posted this on the ACE general link but then I saw this specific one so I am moving it here. I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake I did IF they think this would bother them:

I use this site frequently to read reviews on curricula and took the advice of so many regarding the "professional" VHS/DVDs from School of Tomorrow for Biology. I do not consider myself a musical snob, but I feel like the boy shouting out "He's naked!" to the multitudes surrounding the emperor and his "new" clothes!

The footage on these DVDs dates back to the 80's it appears (which I can overlook) but worse than that - the musical underscore - which I do not see how anyone can overlook - is like brainwashing music. The same music is looped over and over and over and over again for each scene within the lesson. My 14 YO daughter said it made her crazy. I didn't believe her until I tried it for myself and YES it makes you CRAZY. They take about 4 bars of music and loop it endlessly for 5 mins at a time. I cannot believe I spent the money I did on these videos. I am trying to figure out how to watch them w/ the sound off and narrate them myself.

Am I missing something? Is there a newer version that we don't have?? HELP - stop the music!

mmcke777

• Reviewed on Saturday, October 29, 2011
  • Grades Used: 4th and 8th
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
I am a public school teacher. As a special educator I have had a tremendous advantage of being in many classrooms at many different grade levels. I have seen what is taught and students' growth with various curriculums.

Even though I teach in the public schools, my spouse and I decided we really wanted to homeschool our own children. We are blessed that at least he can work out of our home and help with our homeschooling efforts. Our older child is very bright and accelerates through any curriculum with ease, but our younger child struggles and needs a lot of instruction and support through many subjects.

As we have tried a number of different curriculums at home, I have been very disappointed and frustrated many curriculums that do not provide step-by-step information to help the student through the problems, questions, etc. My children have been very irritable and frustrated at times with school because of the curriculums. Many days they have absolutely HATED school because of the books they have used. They lost their LOVE for learning!!! I couldn't believe my own children HATED school! We just recently changed to ACE in the past couple of years to just try a couple of subjects. I have to say that at the elementary level, the science curriculum covers SO MUCH MORE than what the children in the public schools get. In the public schools there is so much attention and focus on math, reading, and writing, the other subjects gets pushed aside - particularly science and social studies. Teachers have to "teach to the standardized tests" they are required to give regularly - and THAT takes away from any continuity in teaching all the subjects. The students end up getting a "hodge podge" of information. My own children are getting so much more than the children in the schools where I teach! Not only that... my children now LOVE school because of the couple of subjects where they are using the ACE curriculum! Everyday I come home to children EXCITED about what they learned that day!!!! I have read a number of reviews by parents who are very critical about ACE because they believe the curriculum is not at grade level, but any of these subjects can be supplemented if they feel the curriculum falls short. If a child is EXCITED about learning and they begin to have a love for learning, that alone is a HUGE step toward ongoing success. ACE inspires learning! Although, I am not sure I would agree that it is all that far behind from what I see in schools on a daily basis, there are so many options to supplement with!! I am thrilled that my own children have found a LOVE for learning by using ACE. I can add whatever I feel they need additionally!! I certainly do not see the love for learning in students at school that I NOW see in my own children at home!! I am thrilled that I found ACE!!!

4cornersmama

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 3, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010
I hate to write negative reviews but I can not let people walk into this curriculum blind. The PACE 3rd grade science was a joke. It had NO science, only religious (not even bibilical) propaganda - now after saying that - I prefer christian curriculum USUALLY. When I went to return the curriculum - ACE - the company would only give me a refund if I spent more then $75. Then there is a minimum of $15 or 20% restocking fee - which ever is higher. This curriculum is a joke across the board - the math is a full year behind and the remainder of the courses are not what they claim but a sad cluster of not even biblical junk. Sorry - but I hope I save at least someone some money by this review.