Classical Academic Press Song School Latin

melanie.newlife

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 13, 2016
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
We love Song School Latin! We used level one this year, and it has been so much fun. The workbook has traditional activities as well as fun non-traditional ones like drawing and labeling your body parts in Latin or playing Simon Says in Latin. But the best part by far is the CD. The songs are catchy and well done (ie Mommy doesn't hate them and sometimes even sings along), and they really help them retain the words. Even my 3 year old and 4 year old have learned them! We listen to the CD in the car often.

They call it an "introduction" to Latin, and it is definitely low key and fun. We're not talking hard-core Latin grammar here, more like getting your feet wet with the language. I know ZERO Latin, so I bought the teacher's manual. I read reviews that said it wasn't necessary because the lessons are so simple, but I liked the extra practice sheets at the back you can photocopy. We do one lesson a week. On Monday we listen to the new song a few times, read the first page of the lesson, and trace the words. On Wednesday, we do the rest of the workbook exercises, then on Friday we do the extra practice sheet.

My only cons are #1 the CD comes with the student workbook, not the teacher's manual, but the workbook is consumable. So when I buy a new workbook for my other two kids in a couple of years, I'll end up with 3 of the same CD. #2 I agree with a previous reviewer about the handwriting style. It's not the handwriting style we use, so my son always complains that the letters are weird. But those are 2 very minor cons! We will definitely use level 2 next year.

kidswife

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 22, 2014
  • Grades Used: Levels 1 & 2 (2nd Grade)
  • Dates used: 2011-2014
I used this program for 2 of my children and it helps to make Latin their favorite subject (while they do it). It's very light and fun. Song School Latin 2 just came out, and it is great also. It starts the children learning about the idea of conjugation. I would not start a student on this earlier than 2nd grade though. I may even wait until half-way through 2nd grade for the rest of my children. The Level 1 book takes about half a school year, and I'm slowing down on Level 2 just so we don't have to move on to the next level so quickly. This is because the next level is Latin For Children Primer A and though my oldest child did well starting that at age 8, I don't think there is a need to rush it, as it gets progressively harder, fairly quickly. Let them get a little older to have the grammar sink in.

I plan on using SSL1 & SSL2 for the rest of my children, and am confident it is the best way to get my children hooked on Latin!

dmmetler

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 13, 2010
  • Grades Used: K/1
  • Dates used: 2010
My 5 yr old dinosaur fanatic decided she wanted to learn Latin because of the scientific names, and most programs certainly weren't appropriate for a 5 yr old. This one was.

The majority of the program is carried on a CD, but don't stick it in and push "play". The CD contains both Classical and Ecclesiastic pronounciations, so each song is recorded more than once. Be aware that if you rip the CD to an Mp3 player, you may find that it sorts the songs, not by track numbers, but by name, and if so, you'll end up with both "Salve/Vale"s sorted together. I had to delete the files and only copy the version I wanted to get it to the Ipod for Carschooling without trouble. The CD is mostly familiar melodies and rhymes, with lyrics that both give the Latin words and their meanings. There are no songs entirely in Latin. The pitch on some of the songs is a little low for children's voices to sing (this is the music teacher in me coming out).

The workbook supports the CD songs, with stories and activities, requiring only minimal writing. I do wish that they hadn't made most of the writing activities tracing, though, as they used a kind of strange, half cursive/half print font. I wish they'd left the lines open, and either had my DD write for herself, without tracing, or let the parents choose, if their child needed to trace, to write the words in highlighter or something, in the font their child uses. My DD especially enjoyed the stories. Every lesson introduces a few words, plus a little tiny bit of grammar.

We wrote the words in English and Latin on notecards and used them in a pocket chart and for matching games. There is a Monkey Match game available which does the same thing.

I bought the set that comes with the student book, CD, and teacher's guide. Were I to do it again, I'd skip the teacher's guide, because it's just the student book with answers. While I can see this being helpful for a higher level Latin curriculum, I think most parents could manage flipping back a page to check what a word means if needed-and it really is that obvious.

The program is designed for one lesson a week, 30 weeks, with a review every 4-5 lessons, or about one per grading period for a school year.