Biology 101 (by Wes Olson)

• Reviewed on Friday, April 29, 2016
  • Dates used: 2016
I must caveat this review with the fact that I have not actually used Biology 101 with a high school student as their biology course. I was planning to, but after receiving and previewing it, I changed my mind. I thought I would add my thoughts here anyway because there are hardly any reviews posted for this curriculum.

Also, I should say that I am not one of those homeschoolers who is hung up about "rigor", or has to use hard or advanced materials. I consider myself pretty relaxed in that area.

Even so, after watching Biology 101, I couldn't bring myself to use it as a full biology course. It is very well done and enjoyable to watch, and I like the creationist perspective and the great visuals. There is a touch of humor but it is still very professional.

However, I feel that the amount of information presented isn't even as much as the God's Design for Life science series I have. The accreditation booklet on the 4th disc that is supposed to make this a full high school course is VERY light. The labs aren't really labs at all (buy a goldfish and identify the parts or go out for dinner and classify the items at the restaurant) and the whole thing is scheduled for only 27 weeks.

I felt like I would be adding so much to it that it wouldn't even be worth it.

I would recommend this DVD set as a supplement. It would also make a really nice life science course for middle school, where I feel the activities in the accreditation booklet would be more appropriate. I know others have used it successfully for high school and that's great. If you can make it work, then by all means, do. But for my family, we are going to look for something else.

• Reviewed on Monday, September 22, 2014
  • Grades Used: 11th - 12th
  • Dates used: 2011 - 2012
I personally used Biology 101 in my high school years and truly fell in love with it. I really never enjoyed science. I thought it was boring and humdrum, until I watched Biology 101 and was learning so many awesome things that Wes Olson was teaching and I can't tell you how many times I laughed and repeated what he did after watching a lesson with my brother.

This curriculum is very thorough and high school accredited, plus it is based on a 7-day week of creation, so was filled with wonderfully accurate statements and facts.

Although I used this curriculum in my last years of high school, it was surprisingly very entertaining that my little brother (he was in elementary grades) was quite inclined to sit with us and watch most lessons with us and he enjoyed it just as much as I did.

I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking for a good Christian biology curriculum that is both entertaining and full of amazing facts and visual education.