Answers in Genesis

Becky Peterson

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 28, 2014
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
We have used Answers in Genesis, God's Design for Life, Heaven & Earth, and Chem and Ecology sets. We are currently in our second rotation of God's Design for Heaven & Earth.

Pros: Foundational, accurate, lots of data, for all ages. Special features on scientists, or special topics. Projects and experiments are simple, and they actually work. :)

Cons: Needs more pictures and perhaps student sheets for younger kids. Some of the worksheets are really hard, or just boring for little kids. I think this curriculum is best for 5th-8th grades, but still you may need to find supplemental material. I loved Enchanted Learning for the astronomy aids.

We watched documentaries and checked out extra books at the library for more pictures. This curriculum is a great way to get through a lot of topics in one year (astronomy, earth science, weather, for example).

brandyrc22

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 16, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
THANK YOU AIG, we LOVE it. We used just the OUR PLANET EARTH book this year. This was our first year home schooling, I took my children out of school because I was SICK of them getting the world view shoved down their throats. My K5 came home last year crying about the world is going the flood because of globel warming, I was so angry this is a 5 year old we are trying to teach and instill our christian values and beliefs in and then they have to hear this mess in school, needless to say my mind was made up. So in the search for curriculum I wanted something that was Bible based all around. We happened upon the AIG and can not be happier. Although we do have the older version without the TM and worksheets and test that have come out since then, I do not regret making this choice, and will continue using this curriculum until we run out of books to use. I am so thankful they now have a TM and plan on purchasing it just to help cut down on the planning time, although I did plan all our lessons and test this year and found this book interesting reading. we even purchased the Creation VS. evolution movie from the AIG website, both of my children loved the movie and it was on a level that my 1st grader understood.
Although the review of the book says it is for 1st-6th I would not recommend it for anyone younger then the 4th grade. Some of the reading is a little higher leveled then that even. So I would say a 4th grader at a higher reading level.
All in All we LOVE this series and can not wait to get on with the next book. I have even looked into other movies on th AIG website by Ken Ham to help supplement our science program.

megartso

• Reviewed on Friday, January 15, 2010
  • Grades Used: 1st and 4th
  • Dates used: 2010
We just started using this program after Christmas break. We were using Considering God's Creation but believe it or not all the cut and paste pages were driving my daughter crazy! I was also looking for a little more depth that I did not have to come up with on my own. Not to mention the new full color photos in the new edition that the kids just love to look at. The lessons are short yet in depth. You could easily complete 3 a week if you desired but you can also go at your own pace without feeling like you are "behind". So far I have nothing but high praises. Young Earth creation with true depth in scientific study.

rigger

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 27, 2009
  • Dates used: started 3 Aug. 09 - present
We love the God's Design series! I had a hard time finding a science curriculum that would keep my daughters attention. I spent several hours online looking and 2 days at the State Homeschool convention. I then found the new 3rd edition God's Design series on the Answers in Genesis website. The new third edition is FULL COLOR. Plus when you order the sets, there is a teachers manual with a CD-ROM that has all the student worksheets, quizzes and tests. No more consumable workbooks that you have to keep buying over & over, or worrying if you can find for your younger children. I ordered the whole set. After looking over ours, families in our homeschool group have also ordered this. It's a huge winner with my daughter. I originally scheduled science 3 days a week, but she insisted on doing it every day. She loves the books. The activities are great, too. I especially appreciate the "spotlight on scientists" through out the books (like Louis Pastur, George Washington Carver, Marie Curie).