Modern Curriculum Press Plaid Phonics

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 13, 2015
  • Grades Used: 2ND-6TH CURRENTLY
  • Dates used: 2010-2015
I also used this curriculum in public school and I don't understand why schools have left this amazing program!!! My son has dysgraphia and could not spell a lick when I pulled him out. Although he'll never be a natural speller, the MCP program has helped immensely with spelling. It can be used with any spelling program. We used it with Catholic Heritage (awesome spelling program) initially and we are now registered with Oak Meadow school where I take his spelling words from his writing and curriculum. The MCP phonics is a straight forward phonics program and we will use it through grade 8.

Calming Tea

• Reviewed on Friday, September 17, 2010
  • Grades Used: Myself K-3, used K and B
  • Dates used: 2009-10
I actually used MCP Plaid Phonics myself in Catholic schools. I can pronounce any new word, and have always spelled well. In fact all the children in my Catholic school class were excellent readers and spellers by third grade and I attribute that to good teachers and Plaid Phonics.

Now my daughter is using Plaid Phonics. We use the 1994 version. It is almost exactly what I used in school. The way it is laid out is better for the student.

The 2003 version often has them writing the whole word, whereas the old Plaid versions often have the student writing just the new phonics phoneme that needs to be learned. Additionally the 1994 version has less clutter.

My dd is a natural speller and reader and I know with Plaid Phonics and MCP Spelling Workout she will be able to read and spell anything for life. It's also not too expensive.

PS to teach her to read I used CLP Adventures in Phonics A (which is an affordable and awesome reading program!!)