Great Books Academy

MargaretH

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 6, 2010
  • Grades Used: K-4th
  • Dates used: 2006-2010
I use the Great Books Academy homeschool program and have for several years with my three children. They have a call center that is open 9-5, M-F for orders. The number is posted on their website: 816.220.2626. I have never had trouble reaching them there. Perhaps someone was calling the wrong number. I have had only reasonable time pass for email replies - except on weekends. I cannot speak to the Art class they offer other than I find it fine - there may be something better, I don't know, but it is good and gets far better in the higher grades. But there is no better literature program, and nothing I have found comes close to their level of academic excellence, which is what they are all about. I guess if customer contact is your main priority there may be better - though I have had no problems at all - but if academic excellence and quality is your goal, especially the Great Books in high school and for college credit, then nothing compares or comes close to Great Books Academy.

TeriTrent

• Reviewed on Saturday, October 17, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009
I'm trying to follow by the Great Books Academy guidlines. I love the idea of a classical education; however, I have tried to call them several times to ask questions about their lesson plans and certain parts of the curriculum that I can't get information about elsewhere, for example National Geographic Map Essentials. They WILL NOT call back, nor will they email. I had to order a $10 lesson plan just so I could try to figure this curriculum out because I can't get an answer any other way. Then when I tried to order off their website, the 5th grade section was incomplete, i.e. I couldn't order certain materials. I tried to call the number provided for phone ordering and the girl told me that I couldn't order over the phone and since they were just a warehouse, she didn't know anything about the curriculum. So basically, I can't order online or over the phone, and I can't get a call back to save my life. There are no sample lessons online so just be prepared to be ignored. I'll provide an update if they ever provide better customer service. I won't be holding my breath.
P.S. Their recommendation for elementary art is a joke. If they had done their research, they would know that Artistic Pursuits is more in line with classical education then Draw, Write Now. And this coming from supposed Ph.D's?