Christian Kids Explore Chemistry

churchkeys

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 25, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011
My son really enjoyed the simplicity of this book. We supplemented w/ 2 chemistry experiment books that were easy to look up projects that related to the chapter of study. What he learned was not as in depth as he will need for college, but it was a good solid foundation and he enjoyed it.

dlinca

• Reviewed on Wednesday, March 17, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-1010
Last year my 10 year old son asked if he could study Chemistry for 5th grade. I scoured the internet looking for the best choice of curriculum - one that was affordable, yet thorough and enjoyable.
I chose Christian Kids Explore Chemistry, and was thrilled when it arrived. (I'm always excited to get curricula in the mail :).

I looked it over and was confident that I had made a good choice.

As my son started to work through the book, a few things did come to light that I had not realized in the beginning.

1. The only answers provided with the book were for the Unit "Wrap-Ups", so his daily work has been checked by me, and I've had to go back through and basically read the text to make sure he's answering correctly. I emailed the publisher to ask about getting an answer key for the individual lessons, but never heard back from them. TODAY, right before I wrote this review, I went back to the publisher's website only to find that now there is an answer key available for download. That would have been helpful 23 lessons ago... The answer key is available on this site: http://brightideaspress.com/?p=259

2. Throughout the text, the student is expected to create "element cards" for the various elements that they've learned about. This is a great idea. BUT - it would have been nice if the book included a list; i.e. "These are the elements we've discussed in this chapter (followed by list of elements). Now create an element card for each one." Instead, the student is expected to go back and figure out which elements are new to a particular chapter and then make element cards for them. And as a parent/educator, the only way I can know if he's made all the correct cards is to once again go and read through the text myself and figure it out.

That being said - I do LOVE this book. The issues I've mentioned were major inconveniences, but the lessons really were well written. The experiments and "hands on" portions are very "doable" in that they don't require expensive supplies and there is not much risk of explosions or houses burning down. I see that as a plus. My son would say otherwise...although he has enjoyed everything he's done so far.

I would be VERY interested in using more of the Christian Kids Explore series, but only if the answer keys are available in advance for the entire book.

angelapurifoy

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 15, 2008
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
This curriculum is a wonderful introduction to the higher level sciences. My 11 year old son really enjoyed the chemistry. It is very simple, straightforward and teacher friendly. The experiments have also been helpful. Mainly household items are used for the experiments. We were able to finish the Chemisty in a fall semester and we will begin Physics in the spring. It is just enough of the difficult information to let the student know whether or not he or she would like to pursue the subject at a higher level. The test answers are in the back--no need to purchase but text. We are very happy with this tool.