Writing with Ease: Strong Fundamentals (Complete Writer)

ErinD

• Reviewed on Thursday, November 6, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st-4th
  • Dates used: 2009-present
Writing With Ease is a simple, effective way to teach elementary kids the basics of writing using copywork, narration and dictation. It is easy to implement and takes very little time. I have had two sons complete the series, another who is entering level four, and another who's just started level one. I am very happy with the results I've had with this program, and I love how simple it is, which is why I keep using it.

I use the teacher guide and not the workbooks because I like to use passages from our science, history and literature for writing. This streamlines our day and means we don't need to do writing separately as its own subject.

I find it fairly simple to find appropriate passages. I look them up on the fly and usually have no problem selecting one quickly of the appropriate length (I generally ignore the grammar requirements because we are not always in the same place in grammar as what the text suggests). Just in case, I keep Pathway readers close by if I'm desperate.

It is also easy to accelerate a student who needs more challenge, or slow it down for a student who needs more practice. It works for pencil-phobic writers and it works for eager writers (you just might have to be prepared to accelerate).

By the end of level four, my students can write a very nice paragraph, which we keep practicing on into middle school, as well as adding outlining.

I do find it essential to do Writing With Ease alongside a good English program (which I'm sure most people do anyway) because the English lessons are where we learn the punctuation, grammar, types of paragraphs, topic sentences, and other details of writing construction.

momof5babes

• Reviewed on Friday, March 22, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st-3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
I have used this for the last 2 years... I started with level 2 when my oldest was in 2nd grade, and we now use levels 3 and 1 for my 2nd oldest. We have really loved this curriculum! It has been very gentle and non-intimidating for my squirrely boys who don't necessarily LOVE to write. I have seen HUGE improvement in my oldest child's retention and comprehension in reading and being able to form his thoughts and put them to paper in sentences that really make sense and contain good grammar. We are moving to a unit study next year, so rather than using the workbook with Susan W. Bauer's selections, we will be following the format using the text, but wrapping the assignments around the books our unit studies will center around. I actually have found the complete opposite to be true of what the previous reviewer said, that it is a very SIMPLe approach and has been very nicely laid out for the parent. My kids have loved it, and they are not avid writers by any means!

SwissMom

• Reviewed on Monday, October 24, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2009
I was very disappointed with this program. I ordered the hardcover book and the workbook for level one. I suggest looking at the hardcover book at the library, if available, before purchasing. It brought daily frustration. While the copywork passages were simple,the narration excerpts and exercises brought frustration and tears.

We ditched the program and used Aesop's Fables for narration and "the moral" as our own copywork. Simple, sweet, inexpensive, fantastic!

At Level 1, WWE was far too complicated for such a simple process (copywork and narration). I felt is was a waste of our money, when better programs (and less expensive) are available. We also do not need the grammar help or pointers, as we use a different grammar program (Rod and Staff in Grades 2+). It is keyed to use with First Language Lessons, written by the author's mother. (IMHO if you use First Language Lessons, you DO NOT need to add Writing With Ease. FLL was written to be a stand alone program, complete in itself.)

We continued with copywork in 1st grade, Delightful Dictation with Spelling in 2nd (which is copywork and dictation), and are now using the free Progressive Composition series written by Ida Brautigam (available on googlebooks). All three have been age appropriate and a huge success!

We also continued with narration, but with Aesop's Fables in 1st, select lessons from Primary Language Lessons in 2nd, and Progressive Composition Lessons in 3rd (copywork, dictation, narration, and more is all included in this vintage freebie!)

lizzybee

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 5, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd-4th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
I am using Writing With Ease with my dyslexic daughter, and it's been a very gentle introduction to writing for her. She has finished the first level and we're currently using the second level. We're using it about 2 years below grade level, so we used the Level 1 book for 3rd grade and the Level 2 book for 4th grade. WWE has helped my daughter learn to process and remember what she hears, answer questions in grammatically correct sentences, learn the mechanics of writing, and improve her handwriting. She enjoys the literature selections, so we've borrowed many of them from the library on CD so that she can listen to the entire books.