Progressive Phonics

avidal

• Reviewed on Saturday, June 30, 2012
  • Grades Used: k
  • Dates used: 2012
I recently found this free phonics program and love it. It makes teaching and learning phonics painless. My two really loved the phonics books. This program includes readers with phonics rules in them , flashcards, handwriting, memory games, and crossword puzzles all free to print. I just completed another great phonics and reading program, but wish I would have found progressive phonics sooner to use as a supplement. I will use this program with my gr 1 as extra phonics practice. It is a great resource when teaching kids to read.

Momto1DS

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 15, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-present
I decided to try Progressive Phonics after hearing about it from other mom's on this site. My DS had been using The Reading Lesson for the beginning of his kindergarten year but, he seemed to be bored with it despite the fact that we made it half way through the book. So I went to the Progressive Phonics website and downloaded the beginner books. We began at the first level (beginner) and he really seemed to like it. He liked the fact that I would read some words on the page and then he would read. He also told me that he liked the stories because they were funny. We are now at the end of his kindergarten year and he has completed all of the beginner level and half of the intermediate level. I plan to continue using it with him into first grade and hopefully he will complete the advanced level by the end of the year. He actually liked it so well that he has ask to keep reading it during his summer break.....so I can't complain with results like that!

LisaM

• Reviewed on Friday, November 25, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1-2nd grade
  • Dates used: 2011
I had heard of Progressive Phonics before but never tried it. I figured no free program like that could be that good. Oh my gosh! I was sooooo wrong! I cannot even tell you how wrong I was. It is the best phonics program I have ever used, and I have home schooled for 8 years. I highly recommend this free program. At least try it before bothering with other pay programs.

wdkretzing

• Reviewed on Friday, June 3, 2011
  • Grades Used: Pre-K to 2nd
  • Dates used: 2007 - 2010
I HIGHLY recommend Progressive Phonics. I had previously spent so much money purchasing and trying many other different Phonics Programs at the used homeschooling curriculum fairs and my daughter just found most of them boring or overwhelming. However, someone told me about how I could download Progressive Phonics for just $20 (at the time) so I did. I tried it with my daughter and she absolutely loved it! She was actually reading extremely well by the time she got into kindergarten. It is a story-driven approach written by two very talented teachers that just keeps progressively building in new short vowel sounds, long vowel sounds, blends, dipthongs, etc. into each successive story. The stories are really cute and funny. You basically read the majority of the words in black to your child and you let them read the words in red to you as you are both reading the story together. The pictures and graphics used on each page are engaging and are fun since they will often have games like "What's missing in this picture? (compared to the previous picture)". There are some wonderful teaching tips for introducing sounds at the top of almost every page. Each chapter (or book) includes extra pages at the end which can be printed out as flash cards or memory game cards. There are also extra pages at the end which can be printed out for practicing printing and handwriting. My daughter is going into 3rd grade now and she has consistently been scoring way above average in reading and phonics for the past several years.
I have nothing negative to say about this program.
Go ahead and try it. You have almost nothing to lose. Because it has proven to be so successful for so many, I believe the authors received a special grant which allows them to offer the program now from their website, "www.progressive phonics.com" for a ridiculously low cost. Don't let that fool you though. This program to me was worth way more than any other program that I tried.