Progressive Phonics

ErinD

• Reviewed on Sunday, July 6, 2014
  • Grades Used: K-1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I am so glad I discovered Progressive Phonics! I love that it's free and you don't even need to print it. My son and I read it right off the computer screen. It would work great on a tablet.

The phonics instruction is great and makes more logical sense than what we were previously using (The Reading Lesson) as far as the order of sounds taught. I also think it covers more phonics rules than I have seen in other programs.

I think one of the biggest pros about the books is that not all the words in the story are to be read by the child; only the ones in large red type. This makes the stories really interesting and amusing because they aren't restricted to only using words the child can read (like "cat sat"). My son actually enjoys reading them!

These are secular so there are a couple of witches and ghosts but for the price they are easily skipped.

avidal

• Reviewed on Saturday, June 30, 2012
  • Grades Used: k
  • Dates used: 2012
I recently found this free phonics program and love it. It makes teaching and learning phonics painless. My two really loved the phonics books. This program includes readers with phonics rules in them , flashcards, handwriting, memory games, and crossword puzzles all free to print. I just completed another great phonics and reading program, but wish I would have found progressive phonics sooner to use as a supplement. I will use this program with my gr 1 as extra phonics practice. It is a great resource when teaching kids to read.

Momto1DS

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 15, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-present
I decided to try Progressive Phonics after hearing about it from other mom's on this site. My DS had been using The Reading Lesson for the beginning of his kindergarten year but, he seemed to be bored with it despite the fact that we made it half way through the book. So I went to the Progressive Phonics website and downloaded the beginner books. We began at the first level (beginner) and he really seemed to like it. He liked the fact that I would read some words on the page and then he would read. He also told me that he liked the stories because they were funny. We are now at the end of his kindergarten year and he has completed all of the beginner level and half of the intermediate level. I plan to continue using it with him into first grade and hopefully he will complete the advanced level by the end of the year. He actually liked it so well that he has ask to keep reading it during his summer break.....so I can't complain with results like that!

LisaM

• Reviewed on Friday, November 25, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1-2nd grade
  • Dates used: 2011
I had heard of Progressive Phonics before but never tried it. I figured no free program like that could be that good. Oh my gosh! I was sooooo wrong! I cannot even tell you how wrong I was. It is the best phonics program I have ever used, and I have home schooled for 8 years. I highly recommend this free program. At least try it before bothering with other pay programs.