Real Science 4 Kids

vsheldon

• Reviewed on Monday, August 29, 2011
  • Grades Used: Pre-level 1 Chemistry
  • Dates used: Present
I just started Pre-level 1 Chemistry with my boys, who are 1st and 3rd grade. The main text is so wonderful that my 3rd grader will sneak off with it throughout the day to read it on his own! I've looked through all of the labs and they all look so simple, educational, and fun. My boys are so excited by our science shopping list for the week, it includes M&M's! I really believe that this program is a blessing to our homeschool, and I will update my review after we've completed it.

srhkrby

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 27, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009
We are currently using the Level 1 Chemistry with my 9 year old son. I felt like we had been jumping around several topics with our prior "textbook" science. We are going to use Level 1 Chemistry, Biology, and Physics in one year. We do one chapter per week and there are 10 chapters in each book. The lesson takes about 15 minutes to read and explain. We do science twice a week and on the second day we do the experiment. The experiment usually takes about 45 minutes.

This science is great for a few reasons. I like that it is written at an age appropriate level. The author is very good at explaining topics in a clear, kid-friendly way. It just makes a lot of sense. In the teacher book, they give you extra information just in case your child has more questions past what is covered in the book. This gives me a great foundation to teach from without doing any prep work. I love that the experiments use household items. Rarely do I have to go to the store because we didn't have something for the experiment. This makes it much easier to complete one lab per week. I also love that the experiments actually work!

I highly recommend Real Science 4 Kids. The only drawback could be the price! Shop used!

ceanne

• Reviewed on Friday, June 5, 2009
  • Grades Used: Pre-Level 1
  • Dates used: 2008
We are using Pre-Level 1 for my kindergartners which at the moment includes Physics and Biology with Chemestry and Earth/Space on the way. RS4K makes these concepts easy to understand and comprehend along with making the learning fun and attractive to little eyes. The common complaint is the size of the curriculum but once the four books are out it will span a years teaching and the company is always adding new items to the curriculum such as KOGS (linking art, history, language ect to the science) and online resources to expand the curriculum as well as a resourceful yahoo group. Visit www.gravitispublications.com and you are able to view the whole book online to get a good idea of what you get before you purchase. Look for them at your local curriculum conference.

elkhollow

• Reviewed on Saturday, December 6, 2008
  • Grades Used: BiologyPre level 1
  • Dates used: 2008
Based on all these wonderful reviews I bought pre level 1 biology for my first grader. I was disappointed with how skimpy it is. I found out later that it is supposed to be used with the chemistry and physics books in the same year rather than as a complete full year curriculum. We are classical homeschoolers and I was looking for a life science program for first grade. In order to use this I would have to heavily supplement. There are only ten chapters and one experiment per chapter. There are no recommendations for further reading or for websites if your child is really interested in a topic. I am more pleased with R.E.A.L. Science (Life). It is a very meaty book and will last all year. It also gives me recommendations for books and websites. To be fair, though, what little there is to the RS4K book is well done. It is interesting reading and makes concepts understandable to young children. It's a bit pricey, though, for only one third of the year and too much trouble for me to make it last all year long.