One Year Adventure Novel

aayee

• Reviewed on Monday, June 25, 2012
  • Dates used: 2010
Absolutely AMAZING!

I purchased OYAN for my "I love to read but hate to write" daughter... seem like a big leap from an I hate to write eight grader to using a high school curriculum for writing a novel, what was I thinking?!

She absolutely LOVED it and used her free time to finish her novel by Thanksgiving of the same school year. The curriculum takes the student step by step through the novel writing process. Because it's DVD based, I didn't do any teaching. The DVD's are well done and engaging and the accompanying workbook was perfect for following along with the DVD, and developing and keeping track of ideas. The access to the forum which comes with the curriculum has been invaluable. My daughter has received much feedback from others on the forum regarding her writing and has made many friends. The education doesn't stop there. There are continuing free webnars and there's also a summer writing workshop for kids who have finished OYAN. You get a great value for everything that you get with this curriculum.

For additional kids in the family, you will only need to purchase an additional workbook.

I guess I just can't say enough good thing about OYAN and how it has given my daughter confidence and transformed her from "I hate writing" to "I want to be a writer".

alittlefischy

• Reviewed on Monday, May 11, 2009
  • Grades Used: 9th-10th
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
Incredible course! Worth the money!

If you have a High Schooler that is creative and is filled with great stories, but just can not seem to finish a writing project, you have GOT to get this curriculum! Daniel Schwabauer is a great teacher and has lots of practical and helpful tips to make writing more meaningful and more interesting. Writing a novel is not so daunting with Mr. Schwabauer walking your student through the process step-by-step.

I got this class for my daughter, a gal who loves to read, has great story ideas, but never got past chapter one in any book she began. If you would ask her the greatest things she learned from the class she would say that she now knows how to start a novel and that she can efficiently organize her thoughts into a workable format.

I think the most amazing part for me was what happened in my daughter's CONFIDENCE as a writer and as a critical READER, believe it or not. When her class was nearly completed, she was asked to provide input for a novel her friend was writing. She read her friend's novel and I'll never forget the conversation I had as she was formulating her response e-mail to her friend. I asked how his novel was, if she enjoyed it. She said it had a great premise, and that it had a lot of potential, but that it really needed more conflict. Of course, I was confused. Conflict isn't a pleasant thing for most people. Then she began to explain to me how conflict effects a piece of writing and how necessary it is in order to bring about the emotional participation of the readers. She said it would make the difference between a classic and a book that was happy and fluffy and sits in a file cabinet with the 'other things I wrote in High School.' Needless to say, I felt like I had gotten my money's worth when I realized I had a child who could not only complete a novel, but could offer constructive criticism and helpful analysis of others' ideas as well.

This class did more for her than give her a credit for her High School Transcript. It gave her TOOLS to be able to use her gifts to tell her stories. It taught her what to look for in quality literature (she says she's a book snob now, like tasting fine foods... once you read a great book, it's hard to be satisfied with a plain, ordinary one.)

And I'm blown away by the fact that with this curriculum (and the password you get) my daughter can STILL (even though she took this class a year ago) get online and dialogue with Mr. Schwabauer about her ideas and get his input! She has met some of the most wonderful young writers world-wide through the One Year Adventure Novel website. These are also High School students that have a lot in common beginning with an interest in writing, so the students seem to really enjoy discussions on the forum. They are able to share their ideas and receive help on their novels! It really is impressive!

I highly recommend the One Year Adventure Novel Curriculum- I think it's worth the money! Daniel Schwabauer keeps it interesting, does all the teaching and is available to help the student online... there's not a better deal out there for Creative Writing or Novel Writing that compares to what One Year Adventure Novel offers!