Math Mammoth

TaylorTribe

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 28, 2015
  • Grades Used: 1&2
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
I completely agree with all the above positive reviews! Our boys enjoy Mammoth and the way Maria presents it - it makes life easier for me not having to prepare lessons. Having boys who like to be hands on with learning, manipulatives can very easily be brought into your lessons. You can make it as lively or as boring as you'd like it to be.

On the printing front I'd just like to add something that has really helped us - we started out printing the chapters one by one and then filing them, but with young boys pages were getting torn and sometimes a paper jet would turn out to be the missing math page.... I took my flash drive to a local printer and they printed out the rest, including the tests, and wire bound it for us. Now we have our books, nicely put together and no more loose pages. We printed them mainly black and white, but I went through it all first to check which ones would be more appropriate in colour, eg. Geometry. Sometimes this is necessary. If you can afford to go all colour, then do so by all means, but it's not a must.

We live out in Namibia, so doing printing online isn't so easy for us. Most of you will probably be in the States and I'm sure online printing and binding services will be more easily available. I find that spiral binding is even better as it doesn't have the open space for pages to slip out over time. Wire binding is the second best option in my opinion, but that's the best available for us now and it's working just fine.

I hope this helps - happy schooling ;-)

taratankersley

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 3, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
I seriously tried this math program twice just thinking I was missing something...if this is not common core to the Nth degree I dont know what is. It takes the most simple math concept and makes it not even make sense anymore...and I am a MATH major!!
Useless time is spent breaking down problems which does absolutely no good. This was a real waste!

turf14

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 15, 2015
  • Grades Used: k-3
  • Dates used: 2012-2015
I ended up using Math U See with my 17 year old when she was young. I can't tell you how much money I spent to try curriculums that didn't work for us before settling. If this is your situation you don't need to spend a dime today in order to try Math Mammoth. Mathmammoth.com provides educators and parents with plenty of free samples at every level. Maybe it won't work for you and your child is like my daughter who needed the manipulatives and tactiles for everything. Even so, it's free to try it out and rule it out. There's no shipping, not a ton of harassing emails when you sign up, and if you do end up liking it, you'll feel great about the price.

I don't know if Math Mammoth was around when my daughter was young and I was looking. It was available for my younger 3 children, though. I bought grades 1-3 and will soon be buying the next set. I really like the easy to follow structure and the ability to do multiple topics to give the kids a break from the same old worksheets covering the same topics every day. It goes into depth and in itself is a complete curriculum comparable to many others on the market. I seldom find the need to find extra resources to teach a topic, and the information and instructions at the beginning of each segment for teaching it make the job easy. My children learned much more than my daughter in any year because it was presented at a faster pace, but not so fast that they couldn't keep up by any means. I think it prevents them from getting bored.

Being able to buy them as printable ebooks instead of expensive textbooks or consumables helps me save money, but they are available in print at a fair price as well. The ability to print off only what I need and have them on-hand for review whenever I need them is a saver for me. Also, they really have terrific customer service that is second to none if you have a download problem like I did. I was shocked at how quickly Maria took my problem and made it her own-in less than 24 hours.

I have very little to say that is negative about the curriculum. I think the only thing that really posed any hardship at all to us was the size of the answer spaces. If you have a child that writes large, it can sometimes get messy or they may run out of room. With 3 children using it, it's only my middle child that has this issue and so it's really an individual problem rather than a fault with the curriculum.

travelbug

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 17, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I love this program and highly recommend it. We started out with MUS, which was a disaster for us, and switched over to Mammoth.

Who we are:
-my daughter hates math, no matter what the program
-she is very good at math
-she likes the use of manipulatives, which are easy to incorporate in this program
-I love math, so I find it easy to explain concepts to her without the use of a teacher's manual (though the concepts at this stage are not complex anyway)

I find that this program does an exceptional job of helping kids develop a deeper understanding of math concepts -- I don't really know how to explain it best, but I find Maria, the author, comes at concepts from a lot of different angles. By the time kids finish with a given concept, they really get it.

The grade 1 program, for a kid who is pretty good at math and who doesn't hate it, would probably require about 15-20 minutes a day to get through it in one year. Grade 2, it's looking like would be a 1/2 hour or less per day.

MM is very engaging, I think. The variety in presentation is great, as is the use of graphics (as opposed to simply have a bunch of black and white equations that say some variety of 2+3=__). It can be printed in color, which, as expensive as it may be, has been a huge bonus for us. It really helps a lot.

If you sign up for updates on the MM website or on homeschool buyers coop, you are likely to get this for half price. That makes it a phenomenal deal. I bought the "everything package," up to grade 6, for something like $130.

I admit it is a bit of a pain to print out (though it is possible to purchase preprinted copies), but the price makes it well worth it. I printed out everything for gr.2 and 3 at once, with the tests reviews filed at the end of each chapter, and was done with it. It took a while, but I found this to be the most efficient way to go about it. You could also print it out as you go.

Maria's customer service is also great.

I highly recommend this program.