Math Mammoth

• Reviewed on Monday, August 10, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
I ordered this because I had used 2 levels of Math-U-See and didn't like that one after a while--not enough variety in the topics covered and the directions in the teacher's manual were too confusing for my son (for example, for addition problems with 9, they want you to think of the 9 as a vacuum that sucks up one from the number you're adding to it, so 9 + 7 = the 9 sucks up 1 from the 7 so it becomes 10 + 6). It was also too expensive. I read a ton of rave reviews for Math Mammoth. I like the price of Math Mammoth and that it covers a lot of topics. The book we have now goes over addition, subtraction, time, calendar, and money. However, Maria (the lady who wrote the curriculum) claims the curriculum is "self-teaching" and that the directions are written into the workbook so there's no separate teacher's manual. How in the world does "Solve using addition" count as self-teaching? There is very little explanation. I have an almost-6-year-old, a 16-month-old, and a 4-month-old. I have to tend my other two kids. The whole reason I bought this curriculum was because of how it was advertised as being "self-teaching". I wanted something that my son could read and work on independently and maybe have me help at the beginning. I don't want something where I have to sit there and re-explain everything with every. single. problem! I'm not that great at math myself, so trying to explain it clearly to a 5-year-old with almost no help is frustrating. Luckily my husband is a math-whiz so he can help.

I'm still using the workbooks since we already paid for them but I wouldn't recommend them unless you can explain math to children in a way they understand and just want to use the books instead of having to print worksheets off the internet.

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 28, 2015
  • Grades Used: 1&2
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
I completely agree with all the above positive reviews! Our boys enjoy Mammoth and the way Maria presents it - it makes life easier for me not having to prepare lessons. Having boys who like to be hands on with learning, manipulatives can very easily be brought into your lessons. You can make it as lively or as boring as you'd like it to be.

On the printing front I'd just like to add something that has really helped us - we started out printing the chapters one by one and then filing them, but with young boys pages were getting torn and sometimes a paper jet would turn out to be the missing math page.... I took my flash drive to a local printer and they printed out the rest, including the tests, and wire bound it for us. Now we have our books, nicely put together and no more loose pages. We printed them mainly black and white, but I went through it all first to check which ones would be more appropriate in colour, eg. Geometry. Sometimes this is necessary. If you can afford to go all colour, then do so by all means, but it's not a must.

We live out in Namibia, so doing printing online isn't so easy for us. Most of you will probably be in the States and I'm sure online printing and binding services will be more easily available. I find that spiral binding is even better as it doesn't have the open space for pages to slip out over time. Wire binding is the second best option in my opinion, but that's the best available for us now and it's working just fine.

I hope this helps - happy schooling ;-)

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 3, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
I seriously tried this math program twice just thinking I was missing something...if this is not common core to the Nth degree I dont know what is. It takes the most simple math concept and makes it not even make sense anymore...and I am a MATH major!!
Useless time is spent breaking down problems which does absolutely no good. This was a real waste!

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 15, 2015
  • Grades Used: k-3
  • Dates used: 2012-2015
I ended up using Math U See with my 17 year old when she was young. I can't tell you how much money I spent to try curriculums that didn't work for us before settling. If this is your situation you don't need to spend a dime today in order to try Math Mammoth. provides educators and parents with plenty of free samples at every level. Maybe it won't work for you and your child is like my daughter who needed the manipulatives and tactiles for everything. Even so, it's free to try it out and rule it out. There's no shipping, not a ton of harassing emails when you sign up, and if you do end up liking it, you'll feel great about the price.

I don't know if Math Mammoth was around when my daughter was young and I was looking. It was available for my younger 3 children, though. I bought grades 1-3 and will soon be buying the next set. I really like the easy to follow structure and the ability to do multiple topics to give the kids a break from the same old worksheets covering the same topics every day. It goes into depth and in itself is a complete curriculum comparable to many others on the market. I seldom find the need to find extra resources to teach a topic, and the information and instructions at the beginning of each segment for teaching it make the job easy. My children learned much more than my daughter in any year because it was presented at a faster pace, but not so fast that they couldn't keep up by any means. I think it prevents them from getting bored.

Being able to buy them as printable ebooks instead of expensive textbooks or consumables helps me save money, but they are available in print at a fair price as well. The ability to print off only what I need and have them on-hand for review whenever I need them is a saver for me. Also, they really have terrific customer service that is second to none if you have a download problem like I did. I was shocked at how quickly Maria took my problem and made it her own-in less than 24 hours.

I have very little to say that is negative about the curriculum. I think the only thing that really posed any hardship at all to us was the size of the answer spaces. If you have a child that writes large, it can sometimes get messy or they may run out of room. With 3 children using it, it's only my middle child that has this issue and so it's really an individual problem rather than a fault with the curriculum.