Core Knowledge

AllisonC

• Reviewed on Friday, October 19, 2012
  • Grades Used: Not used yet.
  • Dates used: October, 2012
Just so you all know, it's not just the "What Your Child Needs to Know" books. You can purchase curriculum resources for Core Knowledge at www.coreknowledge.org. They sell starter kits for each grade.

avidal

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 13, 2012
  • Grades Used: k-3
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
This is not a curriculum. They are a series of books that tell you what your child should be learning on grade level.They cover every subject. They are inexpensive especially used. They are well worth the money.They are a great resource for homeschoolers when picking new curriculum, and will help you figure out where you need to supplement. The books have stories, poems, songs. and saying. Although it is not a curriculum there are many things you can teach from the book. I even used it as a supplement in my curriculum at times. I used it on a regular basis. I just can't say enough how helpful it it. I recommend it for new homeschoolers who want to make sure they are covering all thier basis. The books are called everything you kindergarter needs to know, everything your 1st grader needs to know and so on.

titianmom

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 18, 2008
  • Grades Used: K-8th
  • Dates used: 2000-2008
Hello,

I'm not sure if Core Knowledge has actual curriculum, but I would like to pass on to folks who are new to homeschooling that the Core Knowledge "What your child needs to know" books make excellent Scope and Sequence books to ensure your kids have covered what is needed for each year of schooling.

I usually keep one on hand for reference. When I first started homeschooling, I picked up their Kindergartner and 1st grade books and used them as guides when designing my own homeschooling package for my daughter. (It really is easier than it looks if you have a good Scope and Sequence...)

Anyway, I used the public libraries and created my own materials for those 2 grades and did just fine. At that age, the kids are little sponges and it doesn't take a really expensive curriculum to teach your kids the basics. Honest. A library is a God-send. And the Core Knowledge series is a great way to start out and to ensure a well-rounded education all the way through 8th grade.

Kim