ClickN READ Phonics

homeiscool

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 22, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
We purchased Click n Read through Homeschool buyers co-op and were given a free membership to Click n spell on their Facebook page. My daughter did not like either program. She was bored with it and groaned when I told her it was time to do phonics/spelling. There was NO game aspect to it. It is very repetitive. Just not worth the $$ in my opinion. I plan to try it with my son who will be in kindergarten this fall. We have already tried it a couple of times and I had to make him sit and complete the lessons. I'm sure he would enjoy the Looney Tunes version of it more. I wish they would change it to that format. We did a trial of abc mouse and he LOVED that program. It costs more but includes all subjects and he really enjoyed it.

Marie131

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 16, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
I used this program with my 6 year old son for only a few months and we did not like it at all.

First of all, the program teaches many of the consonants sounds with an "uh" sound (i.e. "v" says "v-uh"). Not only is this incorrect, but also confusing for my 6 year old. In the program, it asks children to identify which letter makes the various sounds, my son often gets confused because it will say, for example, "v-uh" and he will click "u" (which does make the "uh" sound).

Another problem I have found is that it doesn't always read the child's responses correctly when using the keyboard to identify the letter sounds (and yes it is a problem with the program, not my child, because the program tells me that my responses are incorrect too - which I assure you they are not!).

I also find the sequence of the program to be a bit unusual. It often has difficult sight words built into the same lesson with more simple phonograms. The child isn't recommended to progress if they get 4 incorrect responses. I find that my son has no problem with the letter sounds, so he becomes bored, but gets stuck on the difficult sight words, so he becomes overwhelmed.

Prior to using this program, my son's reading skills were rapidly improving. We switched to this program because I wanted to try something different and I thought it would be nice having him work a little more independently. Not only did he not enjoy the program, but his reading skills also completely stalled while he used it. We have switched back to our former program and he is making improvements once again. I never should have ventured away from what was working in the first place!

The price was very reasonable (I ordered from homeschool buyers co-op) and I can transfer it to my preschoolers. I will give it a try with my 4 y/o, perhaps he will enjoy it more. We are planning to use All About Reading and All About Spelling for the two of them for next year.

JHelles

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 4, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010
Used this for a while a year ago; it seemed very thorough and well done. Lots of repetitive practice of particular skills, which I think is good, but done in an engaging way. I'm sure it generates good results if you stick with the program. My only negative is that individual lessons can be quite long for kids.

vanessak72

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 2, 2011
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten and first
  • Dates used: 2008
I read to our little ones even as babies, I started homeschooling using Rod and Staff with them. After using R&S for awhile we decided to try ClicknPhonics. That was when we lived in New Mexico. When we moved back to Alaska and they went to a private school, my 2nd grade son was tested to read at a 7th grade level and my 1st grade daughter tested at nearly a 4th grade level. Of course we read every morning and night together as a family which probably helped and my kids do a huge amount of reading on their own but I really believe ClicknPhonics helped kick it off. Needless to say we didn't take 3 years to do all 100 lessons! Just 3 months! I read the small print AFTER we already finished, realizing we finished much quicker then recommended. We are homeschooling again this year! I put them in private school hugely because of my worry that I was maybe not doing a good enough job with our two little ones and the tests showed that actually we did very well and so off we go with new confidence!