Catholic Heritage

apapetti

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 13, 2015
  • Dates used: 2010-2012
I pulled my son out halfway through grade 2 and found Catholic Heritage. It was gentle and exactly what my son needed at the time. It is a newer Catholic program and for us, that was the problem….it was too new. I had to drop it for grade 5 because at the time the middle school program wasn't really organized enough. That has now changed , and if I wasn't so wrapped up in my current curriculum, I'd go back to CHC. I think it's hard to make major curriculum changes at the middle school level. I've committed to NOT changing curriculum in middle school unless there is a big problem. My current curriculum is also accredited, which was important to me for middle school.
Of all the Catholic programs it is the least DRY and the most engaging. They are now using a Catholic textbook series for middle school and it's very rich and interesting. I wish they had started with that before. We just came into it at too early of a time. Their spelling, grammar and reading programs are impressive and my son found them fun. I would like to see them have a list of supplemental outside reading. That is important to me, although I was good at finding good books on my own.
If I had to choose a Catholic curriculum now starting out, it would be CHC. If they decide to go for accreditation, it should be easy for them….great and solid curriculum through grade 8.

mshanson3121

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 13, 2013
  • Dates used: January 2013 -
We are have tried/are using a few of CHC's resources:

Geography: We will be using their Tour a Continent this fall which I love the layout of. It's set for grade 2, but could easily be done by K (with help) or grade 1, which is when we'll be using it. It's a great introduction to geography. I love that it is easy to use in a Charlotte-Mason approach, by adding in great living books.

Science: I ordered and looked over their Behold & See: On the Farm with Josh and Anna book. I really liked it, it's a nice gentle introduction to science, and the topics are sure to appeal to the younger grades. The only reason we didn't do it, is my son is such a science/animal lover that I decided to go with something that goes a little more in depth - but again, for the majority of kids, I would say this is PERFECT.

Bible: we used Faith & Life 1 and I enjoyed it. The once a week catechism is a great introduction. We found the lesson just the right length to keep young attention spans. Now, we only had the Student Text, we didn't have the corresponding Activity Book, which I think would really help expand the lesson, and we'll order it for next year (I had been given a copy of the student text).

Character: We ordered and started Building Good Character. This was the only thing of CHC's I was so-so on. First, the pros: my son LOVED coloring the character card, being able to put it on the fridge and earn stickers. It really gave a great visual tool. Also, the character traits they cover are excellent choices. However, the cards on their own I find a little weak. You color the card, discuss the trait, and that's it. There's a little verse or scripture that you can use as copywork/memory work, but that's basically it. Now, on each card there is a story suggested from the Devotional Stories series, which helps expand the lesson, which I think is a great idea, except that to purchase the character cards and the two devotional books is $50. I found instead Hubbard's Cupboard (http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/character.html) which offers a free online character program, which covers many different character traits, and it's basically the same: there's a chart you can print off, the child can color, you can add stickers to it if you want, but it gives you a memory verse, Bible stories and other Bible scriptures that go along with the trait, to help you expand the lesson, as well as a little song. So, we're using that instead. If in the future CHC were to offer a bundle deal, say $35 for the character cards and two devotional books, then I would be more likely to recommend it.

Phonics/Reading: We are using Little Stories for Little Folks, and we are in love. My son absolutely LOVES using this phonics program. He actually asks to do his "reading" now. What's great about this course is that it is used for PreK up to grade 1. So you only have to buy the one course. You can use it as standalone, or also use their Handwriting and Spelling courses to reinforce the lessons (we'll be using the spelling this fall). My son loves that he actually gets a little book to keep, and I love that it gives him the needed review. All the materials you need come with the course and there are many resources: alphabet flashcards, phonics flashcards, the Silly Sentences game (which my son loves). This course truly makes learning phonics/learning to read, fun.

Momto4nmore

• Reviewed on Wednesday, December 15, 2010
  • Grades Used: 4,5,6
  • Dates used: 2006-2008?
Catholic Heritage Curricula "CHC" is a wonderful and gentle presentation of information for children to learn. That is the best way to put it and I was saddened to read some of the reviews. We are active, love our co-ops, gym days, etc. I liked CHC for the simpleness to give my children the knowledge and practice, without the "fluff overkill". But I do not like Saxon either.
Also, if your children are wigglers, you like Charlotte Mason's teachings, you lean more towards Catholic unschooling...>Basically CHC lesson plans are extremely flexible. And at such a low cost, I can be between 2 planners( i am starting K & 1 now). All you need is in the planners, very thorough for new parents. Please remember, if your child needs more "to do", check out museum/zoo classes, join a co-op, volunteer locally, try a few hobbies.. Let the child explore. I no longer tell my six year old it is time for school work- It is time for home learning, then we have play learning.

boo

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 18, 2010
  • Grades Used: K,1,2,3
  • Dates used: 2008-2010
This curriculum puts first things first. Language Arts: The Devotional Stories for LIttle Folks teach the lessons that I want my children to learn. There are supplemental books. My 3rd grade daughter read The King of the Golden City last year and Olivia and the Little Way this year. These books are powerful treasures. She is also working on her first book report. CHC recommends one per month. Spelling is 2 pages per week plus writing list words and rewriting those that need work. The book also includes scriptural verses that defend the Catholic faith. My K daughter is learning to read with LIttle Stories for Little Folks. Social Studies: We will be revisiting the Character Cards from the 1st grade plans. In Grade 2 my daughter made a book with about 4-5 pages for each continent. It has become a keepsake. In grade 3 she is creating brochures for countries. My K daughter is making brochures too. Science: My k and 3rd grader are enjoying Behold and See 3. They are making science journals to go along with the book. We use the lesson plans and supplement where needed. For example we use Writing with Ease because my Gr. 3 daughter responds better to this type of writing instruction. This curriculum does involve parent involvement and library use. It is more interesting for us to read from a library book and do a brochure than go from workbook to workbook. CHC is the right fit for our family.