Atelier Art curriculum

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 14, 2015
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
We really liked Atelier 1. I like that it's 18 modules on DVD, so it allows for flexibility to fit it in with other art programs. I like the DVD. My kids really, really like art, so we use many programs, and the DVD gives me a break a little and offers variety. But that being said, I was a little disappointed in the quality of Atelier 2. A few of the projects involved making a sort of corn starch glaze over chalk, and it didn't work for us at all. Some of the projects were redundant with drawing in black markers than painting with tempera paint. BUT - that being said, I had hung all my kids' art around our school room with clothes pins, and the art that caughts visitors' eyes the most were the Atelier ones. So, that's interesting. On the con-side, the DVDs are expensive, and the program is seeming dated. We are still going to buy Atelier 3 this coming year, but if the projects are a bit lack luster again, I will stop investing in it. Atelier 1 worked well for my 5 and 7 yos. Atelier 2 has been used with a 2, 4, 6, and 8 yo. My 2 yo's work is obviously off the mark, but my 4 yo was able to follow along and produce good results.

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 5th
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
We started with Atelier Art last year and we LOVED it!
The DVD instruction model is wonderful. The kids can work on it independently without my help (which is good when there are multiple kids at multiple levels!)
I had one in 2nd grade and one in 4th (who used Level 5). I let them pick their own stuff for art this coming year and the now 5th grader wanted to try something else, but the 3rd grader wanted to stick with Atelier. I think that method of learning is best for him. I saw the younger one, in particular, increase in skill dramatically over the year.
Atelier switches it up enough to stay interesting, and it's fun. It's definitely worth the money, especially considering that it's not consumable.

• Reviewed on Monday, September 1, 2008
  • Grades Used: Level 2 (used with ages 6-9)
  • Dates used: 2006-2008
We've been very sporadic about using this curriculum and are only partway into module B.

So far, I'm quite happy with it. The DVD instructions are easy for the children to understand, and their projects have turned out to be much nicer than what they usually create on their own (something I remember liking about art class in school). My 4 year old daughter spontaneously joined in on the "shape monster" lesson, and my husband framed it in a cheap Ikea frame. It's really cute hanging in her room. :-)

I ordered the whole level 2 set, and mainly use the DVD. The Parents' and Teachers' Manual makes a handy reference. The only part I really didn't use was the set of art prints. They're nice, but my kids just didn't get into the artist appreciation aspect of Atelier.

The only other caveat I have is that there was one lesson where the media required/instructions listed in the manual were different from what the DVD instructor called for. It was a minor annoyance, but for something this expensive I wouldn't have expected that.

Overall, I think Atelier makes it easy to teach children "real" art lessons at home with ease.