Atelier Art curriculum

kaybee

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 5th
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
We started with Atelier Art last year and we LOVED it!
The DVD instruction model is wonderful. The kids can work on it independently without my help (which is good when there are multiple kids at multiple levels!)
I had one in 2nd grade and one in 4th (who used Level 5). I let them pick their own stuff for art this coming year and the now 5th grader wanted to try something else, but the 3rd grader wanted to stick with Atelier. I think that method of learning is best for him. I saw the younger one, in particular, increase in skill dramatically over the year.
Atelier switches it up enough to stay interesting, and it's fun. It's definitely worth the money, especially considering that it's not consumable.

yslek

• Reviewed on Monday, September 1, 2008
  • Grades Used: Level 2 (used with ages 6-9)
  • Dates used: 2006-2008
We've been very sporadic about using this curriculum and are only partway into module B.

So far, I'm quite happy with it. The DVD instructions are easy for the children to understand, and their projects have turned out to be much nicer than what they usually create on their own (something I remember liking about art class in school). My 4 year old daughter spontaneously joined in on the "shape monster" lesson, and my husband framed it in a cheap Ikea frame. It's really cute hanging in her room. :-)

I ordered the whole level 2 set, and mainly use the DVD. The Parents' and Teachers' Manual makes a handy reference. The only part I really didn't use was the set of art prints. They're nice, but my kids just didn't get into the artist appreciation aspect of Atelier.

The only other caveat I have is that there was one lesson where the media required/instructions listed in the manual were different from what the DVD instructor called for. It was a minor annoyance, but for something this expensive I wouldn't have expected that.

Overall, I think Atelier makes it easy to teach children "real" art lessons at home with ease.

Kelsy