Atelier Art curriculum

yslek

• Reviewed on Monday, September 1, 2008
  • Grades Used: Level 2 (used with ages 6-9)
  • Dates used: 2006-2008
We've been very sporadic about using this curriculum and are only partway into module B.

So far, I'm quite happy with it. The DVD instructions are easy for the children to understand, and their projects have turned out to be much nicer than what they usually create on their own (something I remember liking about art class in school). My 4 year old daughter spontaneously joined in on the "shape monster" lesson, and my husband framed it in a cheap Ikea frame. It's really cute hanging in her room. :-)

I ordered the whole level 2 set, and mainly use the DVD. The Parents' and Teachers' Manual makes a handy reference. The only part I really didn't use was the set of art prints. They're nice, but my kids just didn't get into the artist appreciation aspect of Atelier.

The only other caveat I have is that there was one lesson where the media required/instructions listed in the manual were different from what the DVD instructor called for. It was a minor annoyance, but for something this expensive I wouldn't have expected that.

Overall, I think Atelier makes it easy to teach children "real" art lessons at home with ease.

Kelsy