All About Spelling

jeather

• Reviewed on Monday, July 7, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st - 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I honestly can not say enough about this program. It is truly amazing.

The curriculum goes through spelling 'rules' that help the student understand how spelling really works. The students learn a new rule and construct words using the rule they have learned. The program also covers words that are rule breakers - words that should follow a certain rule, but don't.

I was horrible at spelling in school, and now I am learning right along with my student. Even in level one, I learned several rules that I had never heard before.

I feel confident that this spelling program is so much better then the memorization drills that I had as a child. My son can spell with ease and I am one happy Mom!

babiroo

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 19, 2013
  • Grades Used: 6 and 9
  • Dates used: 2013
Both my eldest son and youngest daughter were hopeless spellers. We tried many different books and methods without success. Then we tried AAS and *happy dance* I've seen major improvement. It is very teacher dependent - you have to do it one on one but it only takes 10 mins a day and they both enjoy it.

They still make spelling mistakes but when I correct them and say "Why is this wrong?" they can tell me. It's a MAJOR step in the right direction!!

Two huge thumbs up!

jo-jo

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013
My son is in first grade and he is doing well with level one. I have not tried any other spelling programs though. Im going to continue with AAS for step 2 and hope it goes just as well.

Jenny R.

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 7, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st - 2nd
  • Dates used: 2011 - 2013
All About Spelling changed our family's experience in learning how to read. Before this program, we used 100 Easy Lessons. It was tedious and painful, but the end result was that, by the time they reached approximately lesson 50, they could read. And then it took a long time to get them to WANT to read because of the negative experience in learning it.

With All About Spelling, we enjoyed ourselves. I can't say that the program was easier to implement, but it FELT easier to administer. It was more enjoyable and relaxing, and my son clearly felt more successful sooner than my other children did, even though I wouldn't say that he "learned to read" any sooner.

However, now that he's in third grade, the benefits of the three levels of All About Spelling are more obvious. He is an excellent speller. He remembers all the rules. Even I learned rules that I never learned before! He is an excelling reader, reading and understanding material far above his grade level.

I still have one more to teach how to read, and I will absolutely use this program again.