All About Spelling

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 16, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-present
All About Spelling suits my analytical learner. My 10yo dd really needs the rules about things spelled out first, and can take those explicit rules and apply them in all sorts of ways. It's different from just getting a lot of reading time in, and intuiting the spelling rules, the way I did as a child.

All About Spelling is clear on each rule, reinforces the review, and is attractive to see, touch and manipulate. The letter tiles, used with the writing hand, allow the child to feel the words as well as see and think them through. With a written spelling test every lesson, the ideas become well-engrained, and she is remembering what she learns. We are in level 3 and do it every few days. The books are not organized for school years, but levels, so they are flexible for those of us who school year round.

I like the emphasis on the phonics of syllables, and the labeling of them--it makes the rules clearer, and when there are exceptions it's clear why. We have seen a LOT of improvement in a very short time! Overall, very recommended to those homeschoolers who enjoy the rules made clear and plenty of review and practice too.

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 9, 2014
  • Grades Used: 4th & 7th
  • Dates used: August 2014
This is our first time using AAS & my 4th grade son is half way through level 1. Before we started school this year, he spelled 'ran' r-a-e-n and had a hard time hearing the sounds within words. After just 3 weeks of AAS, he hasn't had to repeat a single lesson and is writing the dictation phrases perfectly.

Recently, he was asked about his favorite subjects....he said, 'History and SPELLING!' I can't believe it. He is sounding words out now on other assignments as well and doing it correctly. Love this program! And so very thankful for it.

I also began using AAS with my 7th grader this year. He's already an excellent speller, but I was seeing gaps. He doesn't need to use the letter tiles, just does the work on paper. The spelling tips and some phonics review have been helpful for him in decoding larger words.

Note: the books do not cover a full school year, which I was confused about. You could do several within one year if you do spelling daily.

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 17, 2014
  • Grades Used: levels 1&2
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My son was in third grade when we started homeschooling. I had a panic moment when I realized he couldn't even spell "cake." He spelled it "cack." I researched and chose level 1 hoping it would help. I have to say the change was IMMEDIATE! He quickly learned when we use c, and when we use ck. Now he and my 7 yr old daughter LOVE spelling. When they make a mistake, I keep quiet and wait. They almost always catch it and correct it.Turns out that we don't need the student pack, they work better using a dry erase board but the teacher guide is an answer to prayer for us! My son went from hating spelling (or as its better called in public school, memorizing) to telling everyone that it's his fave subject. He actually asks every day to "do spelling" first. I am ordering the level 3 book tomorrow and he is upset that we finished level 2 before I got level 3 in my hands! You won't regret trying it. I spend about 15 maybe 20 minutes at the most on it each school day. And many times when I say "That's enough for today" they protest!

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2014
I wanted to love AAS. I really did.

But it was SO intensive. We had to start back at the beginning and do things that felt silly. We ended up never finding the time in the day to carve out for us to sit and do spelling, so it fell behind.

I have searched and searched for the perfect spelling program, and this still isn't it.