All About Spelling

AmandaM

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 17, 2014
  • Grades Used: levels 1&2
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My son was in third grade when we started homeschooling. I had a panic moment when I realized he couldn't even spell "cake." He spelled it "cack." I researched and chose level 1 hoping it would help. I have to say the change was IMMEDIATE! He quickly learned when we use c, and when we use ck. Now he and my 7 yr old daughter LOVE spelling. When they make a mistake, I keep quiet and wait. They almost always catch it and correct it.Turns out that we don't need the student pack, they work better using a dry erase board but the teacher guide is an answer to prayer for us! My son went from hating spelling (or as its better called in public school, memorizing) to telling everyone that it's his fave subject. He actually asks every day to "do spelling" first. I am ordering the level 3 book tomorrow and he is upset that we finished level 2 before I got level 3 in my hands! You won't regret trying it. I spend about 15 maybe 20 minutes at the most on it each school day. And many times when I say "That's enough for today" they protest!

kaybee

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2014
I wanted to love AAS. I really did.

But it was SO intensive. We had to start back at the beginning and do things that felt silly. We ended up never finding the time in the day to carve out for us to sit and do spelling, so it fell behind.

I have searched and searched for the perfect spelling program, and this still isn't it.

jeather

• Reviewed on Monday, July 7, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st - 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I honestly can not say enough about this program. It is truly amazing.

The curriculum goes through spelling 'rules' that help the student understand how spelling really works. The students learn a new rule and construct words using the rule they have learned. The program also covers words that are rule breakers - words that should follow a certain rule, but don't.

I was horrible at spelling in school, and now I am learning right along with my student. Even in level one, I learned several rules that I had never heard before.

I feel confident that this spelling program is so much better then the memorization drills that I had as a child. My son can spell with ease and I am one happy Mom!

babiroo

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 19, 2013
  • Grades Used: 6 and 9
  • Dates used: 2013
Both my eldest son and youngest daughter were hopeless spellers. We tried many different books and methods without success. Then we tried AAS and *happy dance* I've seen major improvement. It is very teacher dependent - you have to do it one on one but it only takes 10 mins a day and they both enjoy it.

They still make spelling mistakes but when I correct them and say "Why is this wrong?" they can tell me. It's a MAJOR step in the right direction!!

Two huge thumbs up!