Apologia Jump In

nojo317

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 23, 2013
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
I would not recommend this program for a student who struggles with language arts in general because it's designed to be used independently (the book is written to the student and there isn't a teacher's manual to teach from (there's a guide for helping you grade papers, and that's about it.) While you can read along with your student, if you aren't comfortable teaching writing, you'll basically be learning alongside your child with no "intel" from a manual to assist you.) My son struggles with writing and dislike it as a result, so I thought this might be a good fit; however, it did not work well for him and didn't do much to improve his attitude about writing or improve it much overall. It may be a good program for a student who can work independently in language arts, learns things fairly easily, and doesn't need much teacher instruction. If, however, your student would benefit from a teacher-led program, consider looking elsewhere.

mn_kids

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 24, 2010
  • Dates used: 2010-2010
This is a fantastic writing program!! My son is enjoying it tremendously and it is farily independent which is nice also.

Marian

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 24, 2010
  • Grades Used: using with a 4th grader
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
We are in the middle of using Jump In this year. My son is just a little bit young for it, but we are going slowly, and may not do the whole book in one year.

I love this book!! I have looked at and tried so many writing books and never seen anything so effective, practical and well put together. The text uses clear, highly engaging, often light-hearted language, and breaks everything down into totally un-intimidating chunks and steps that make sense. I'm impressed by the way increasingly refined, mature writing is introduced and encouraged in such simple language. The workbook invites just enough written response along the way to keep students tracking with what is being taught. When it's time to tackle a full writing assignment at the end of a unit, a suggested schedule for the writing process is presented to ease your student into it. No lesson is too long, and most lessons could be done independently by most students if necessary.

I wish that Jump In was a series instead, with similarly great books for the elementary and high school level!

lgraves

• Reviewed on Friday, April 10, 2009
  • Dates used: 2008-present
I love this workbook!!! I have a reluctant writer (boy) who is not so reluctant any more!! This is a fantastic incremental writing book for late elementary and up that covers all types of writing, including essays and research papers! Your student learns a little each day by doing a "skill." I haven't really done much teaching, besides answering a few questions and checking his work. This book really makes it fun to learn writing!