BJU Press Math (Bob Jones)

Mrs. K.

• Reviewed on Friday, January 25, 2013
  • Dates used: current 2013
We don't have any struggles with math, so I wasn't real fussy with choosing a math curriculum. I just wanted it to be thorough and painless. I really liked the cute, colorful pictures that BJU offered along with the curriculum that kept my children knowing all they needed to. They did well and didn't complain...until this year (6th). I have the current new edition, but I guess now that Math is getting harder, the whole formatting changed and we were just not liking it. It no longer has room in the book to do work and instead of being able to pull out a page to bring with us (front and back would equal one lesson), they now have the facing sides (back of one page and front of another) as one lesson. So we have to cart the whole fat book around. I would recommend K-5, though! There's a chapter review and cummulative review after each lesson. Easy to follow. I didn't even get a teacher book until 3rd grade. (only had to skip a few questions because of that, certainly not worth the $50-$60 manual) I will be looking into Saxon for grades 7+.

laura291

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 18, 2012
  • Dates used: 2012
Bob Jones Math 6 was NOT a good fit for my son. We ordered the DVDs (which were VERY expensive, and is a lease so you can't keep the DVDs) because I wanted him to be able to watch his lesson ahead of time, and felt it would be easier for him at this level to have a Math teacher, than for me to struggle through the concepts myself to teach him. The DVD was very boring. The teacher was from the early 1990's and I thought she did a great job, although you could tell the age of the material was old. She added so many side stories, that it didn't keep his attention. I slotted 1 hour for Math, and it often took that long just to watch the DVD, not to mention do the assignments. His sister was using Saxon with the DIVE CD and was done in less than half the time, and I felt she was retaining a lot more. BJU also doesn't review old concepts learned, so my son was quickly forgetting a concept he once had mastered. About half way through the year I decided to cut my losses and I ordered Saxon Math for my son, and returned BJU (which, after 30 days you don't get money back for returning the program). He is enjoying that a lot more, and it's not full of side stories that really have nothing to do with Math.

knoxbury

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 16, 2011
  • Dates used: 2007-present
I like BJ Math, with one caviat. It does a good job at helping kids understand Math concepts and it's brightly colored and fun. They also add stories between units and my boys love that. My only complaint is that they do not incorporate drilling on Math facts. My 4th grader is very behind because of that and now we are going to need really catch up this year.

My plan is to use a different math curriculum for my next K5 son that really drills those math facts and then I'll switch to BJ in 3rd or 4th grade once he has those down solid.

LisaCM

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 20, 2011
  • Dates used: 2009-2001
I have found BJU math to be a great curriculum so far for k-2. It is a good blend between mastery and spiral; it spends a chapter on a topic before moving on to another topic. It then comes back to that topic in greater depth later. I have looked at almost every math curriculum available, and have found BJU to be a balanced choice for a mastery type curriculum. I like that it is colorful, the teacher manuals are very helpful (scripted), there are just enough problems each day (and there is a review book if you need extra) and my daughter likes the story themes that run through the year. My one complaint is that it isn't heavy on fact review (it isn't an integral part of the daily work, that is); I have supplemented with other speed drills and Flashmaster. I do not agree with an earlier post that it is behind. I believe it is on grade level, if not a little ahead.
12345678910...