Time4Learning

bailbrae

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 10, 2015
  • Grades Used: PreK - 11th
  • Dates used: Early 2007 to present
When I pulled my oldest son out of public school two months into his 1st grade year, the idea of homeschooling had NEVER crossed my mind. We spent the rest of that year piecing together a curriculum with workbooks and materials that other homeschoolers had given us.

The beginning of 2nd grade year, my parents decided they would "sponsor" us and bought us a complete boxed curriculum.

We. Hated. It. :(

Spent months being miserable with the planning and textbook thing. We are, and always have been, techies. Anything on a screen is a win around here, lol.

Early 2007 we discovered Time4Learning and have never looked back. It was online, with nothing to install, which means we weren't limited to one computer...back then, we didn't have laptops and my boys spent a lot of time with my parents. Instead of my son just missing school days when he was down there, he could log in and use their computer, which was awesome.

It's affordable. Really. I never had to buy a whole year at a time or sign a contract.

It's flexible. Over the years, we have used it as our core program, and we have used it as a supplement to a more interest-led/child-led approach. Either way, it's there and it's what we need at the time.

My boys can log on and work independently. They don't have to wait on me (unless they need me), and I don't have to spend hooooours planning lessons. While I could assign specific lessons to them if I wanted, they have just always completed lessons in the order that T4L presented them.

Record keeping - this is my FAVorite part of it! I don't have files or folders or binders of papers that I have to find room for. T4L keeps track of everything for me. When I'm ready (I usually just do it annually), I save their records as a PDF and throw it on my external hard drive.

My oldest is currently in 11th grade, still using Time4Learning (and has since 2nd grade). My youngest is now in 6th grade and has only ever known T4L, since Pre-K. Is it for everyone? No. No homeschool curriculum or program is a fit for every family. But it works for us.

The only drawback we had, and I had it with both of my boys, was the transition from 2nd to 3rd grade. It goes from super animated and "read to you," to less animated and more reading on their own. Neither of them enjoyed feeling like they were going from happy fun time to actual school work, lol, but once we got over that hump, things settled down for them both. :)

I would say that it's at least worth a shot for those looking for something secular and online.

momof3redheads

• Reviewed on Friday, August 28, 2015
  • Grades Used: 3rd-8th
  • Dates used: 2010-2014
I've been reading a lot of the T4L reviews on here and let me first state-I am NOT being compensated for my review. I have used t4learning on and off with 2 children. My reasons for not continuously using it is simply, fluctuating finances and the inability to use and pay for only the sujects I need at that time. (That would be a perfect scenario for me.) I have never had issues with customer service, they have been nothing but nice and I have frozen and canceled my account so many times that I suspect I have a rep. ;) Yes there are occasional glitches, and no it is not the perfect curriculum, I have yet to have found that with any curriculum. And yes they do delete your files. But they give you plenty of warning before they do and I find it irritating that people are incensed that they do this when all we have to do is print out our own reports regularly or even daily. No big deal. I personally think they are great because they do what no one else is doing in the way of a fun, innovative, animated, and challenging online curriculum in which the parent is given a break and only needed to supervise or help with explanations from time to time. Where else do you have the flexibility to change grade levels when needed? And the resources available through the parent dashboard and parent forum. Thank you T4L for giving us options!

ffgirl4060

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 19, 2015
  • Grades Used: 6-7, 9-10
  • Dates used: 2012-2015
I used this company as a supliment to my other curriculum for several years. I enjoyed the simplicity of it and my children enjoyed it also. I however discovered that through the process of learning online the development of penmanship and math skills had suffered greatly. I decided to move toward another curriculum and cancelled my membership. I was charged the next month. So I asked for a refund and again made sure that I had previously cancelled my membership. This has gone on for over 3 months and I quit using my credit card that I signed up with and keep getting declined notices and emails. I have never had such a difficult time trying to cancel my "no contract, cancel anytime" account. They are extremely unprofessional and unwilling to hold up their end of the deal. I would highly recommend against using this unethical wolf in sheep clothing. They are not worth the hassle.

hamid

• Reviewed on Saturday, June 20, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
Time 4 learning is agreat website for home schooling everything is interactive. I give it 5 stars
12345678910...