Growing With Grammar

Click for more information about Growing With Grammar

kurtzo8

• Reviewed on Friday, December 5, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
We decided to take a break from R&S this year and try GWG. It was a big mistake at our house. My dd has already covered everything she has learned in the previous years through other programs. She says the program is very BLAH in her opinion. She has asked to go back to R&S next year. If your child is strong in grammar already, the 7th grade level may not be very challenging or interesting for your child. Thats what has happened here.

kaybee

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 4th
  • Dates used: 2013-14
GWG is not a great program.
I used it last year because I was looking for something more independent. At first I thought I liked the program - it was pretty straightforward and simple. But over time it never really added much. The workbook pages were repetitive and the kids weren't really retaining the information. At the end of the year I realized they weren't really moving forward with grammar - it had really stagnated over the course of the year.
I wouldn't recommend it.

julie.brooks

• Reviewed on Saturday, March 30, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013
We started using Writing With Grammar after Christmas along side First Language Lessons-which we used since the beginning of the school year. We like First Language Lessons, but we wanted a more writing-intensive program (Language Lessons is more orally structured). My daughter really enjoys the lessons and that is half the battle especially for our easily distracted little girl.

She hasn't retained all the information we have covered, however, I think most kids don't. Repetition at each grade level along with maturity helps the information to be retained. We will continue using both programs for 3rd grade.

Grammar without tears is always a good thing:)

narnia

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 24, 2013
  • Dates used: 2012
This is a good program, but I've always used Rod & Staff. In my opinion, Rod and Staff is a superior english curriculum. If R&S isn't to your taste, then this is the next best. After giving this program a try, I found it to be a little more boring than what we were used to.Where R&S makes it easy to do a lot of the lesson orally, it is not as easy with GWG, although it can be done.