BJU Press Heritage Studies (Bob Jones)

txwaandrews

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 2, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3rd Grade
  • Dates used: 2014
My daughter is 8.

WE LIKE IT!

We switched from an all A Beka curriculum last year, to an almost all BJU curriculum this year.

BJU for all the subjects we have (Spelling, English, Science, Heritage Studies) is very well laid out, organized and illustrated.

I like the way this history curriculum moves thru events. I think she's gaining a good understanding for early American History. The work text also mixes in map skills and historical pieces of literature and song.

Personally, I think kids should have a good geographical understanding of the world before moving into history. Since we didn't use this for Kinder/1st (she was in public school) or 2nd (used A Beka). I am not sure what BJU started off with in the younger grades to know what they have worked up to. But for us, geography is something I constantly mix in and refer back to when we work through these history lessons.

Also, I like for her to have timeline perspective. This curriculum does include that at the beginning of each chapter. We integrate that into a super nice TIMELINE BOOK we got from Sonlight.com.

I will say, with all BJU- reading comprehension is a must. Their curriculum is beautifully written and the questions require that you have read and understood what was taught. There's no cutting corners, and she picked up quickly after the first week, with all answers to "prove it". Meaning- find exactly where you read it and answer accordingly. This is a valuable skill IMO! What a curriculum should do.

I am really pleased at the study skills she's developed with this curriculum and this subject specifically. She is able to read through, highlight and make notes of things. Then refer back to them when she answers questions. This skill will serve her well in her future.

sreasen

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 2, 2013
  • Grades Used: K-5th
  • Dates used: 2006-2011
Pros: BJU Press does a great job at being very thorough. My kids loved this program through 3rd grade. It is even more interesting when you use the online distance learning feature with this course. The teachers make it very interesting with a lot of fun projects to make history "come alive".

Cons: Although the program is still very thorough for 4th and 5th grade it becomes VERY DRY!! My daughters dreaded history at this point. It's really just facts, facts, and more facts. How boring! We switched to Mystery of History for 2012-13 school year and we really can't get enough of it. Best switch we've done so far!

Love BJU Press in all but history is not something I would recommend for upper elementary.

gracereceiver97

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st-4th
  • Dates used: 2010-2013
I switched to using Heritage Studies after using Story of the World. The Heritage Studies series is very interesting for my children, and I find they are learning and retaining a lot. They like the textbooks; I often find them reading ahead to find out more information. I like that Bible verses are included in the text.

The Teacher's Guide is an invaluable resource. It gives you exactly what to say/ask for each lesson. It is a wonderful tool! There are supplemental maps and pages that can be photocopied.

Beginning in 3rd grade there is a workbook included with the curriculum, and I really like that. It helps reinforce the lessons for the day. The workbook is full-color.

For grades 1-3 I did not follow the lessons plans as laid out in the Teacher's Guide. The guide suggests you spread one lesson out over 3 days. We always completed each lesson in one day. Therefore we have finished each grade in half a school year. We are now on the 4th grade material, and I have found that there is more to read and learn, so we are going a little slower.

Biggest con with this material: Price. It is by far the most expensive home school curriculum I use. I would say that you are mostly paying for the teacher's guide. I find it is worth it though.

pemberley

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 22, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I've only used BJU history for one year...

We loved the activities. LOVED THEM. We loved the pictures in the book...but the book itself was lacking in the content department.

By the end of the year my son (who really is a bright child) had retained almost nothing from the text. The only reason we remember the activities is because we took photos of them. :)

The books are fun to look at...but for our family, we needed more "substance".