BJU Press Heritage Studies (Bob Jones)

sreasen

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 2, 2013
  • Grades Used: K-5th
  • Dates used: 2006-2011
Pros: BJU Press does a great job at being very thorough. My kids loved this program through 3rd grade. It is even more interesting when you use the online distance learning feature with this course. The teachers make it very interesting with a lot of fun projects to make history "come alive".

Cons: Although the program is still very thorough for 4th and 5th grade it becomes VERY DRY!! My daughters dreaded history at this point. It's really just facts, facts, and more facts. How boring! We switched to Mystery of History for 2012-13 school year and we really can't get enough of it. Best switch we've done so far!

Love BJU Press in all but history is not something I would recommend for upper elementary.

gracereceiver97

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st-4th
  • Dates used: 2010-2013
I switched to using Heritage Studies after using Story of the World. The Heritage Studies series is very interesting for my children, and I find they are learning and retaining a lot. They like the textbooks; I often find them reading ahead to find out more information. I like that Bible verses are included in the text.

The Teacher's Guide is an invaluable resource. It gives you exactly what to say/ask for each lesson. It is a wonderful tool! There are supplemental maps and pages that can be photocopied.

Beginning in 3rd grade there is a workbook included with the curriculum, and I really like that. It helps reinforce the lessons for the day. The workbook is full-color.

For grades 1-3 I did not follow the lessons plans as laid out in the Teacher's Guide. The guide suggests you spread one lesson out over 3 days. We always completed each lesson in one day. Therefore we have finished each grade in half a school year. We are now on the 4th grade material, and I have found that there is more to read and learn, so we are going a little slower.

Biggest con with this material: Price. It is by far the most expensive home school curriculum I use. I would say that you are mostly paying for the teacher's guide. I find it is worth it though.

pemberley

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 22, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I've only used BJU history for one year...

We loved the activities. LOVED THEM. We loved the pictures in the book...but the book itself was lacking in the content department.

By the end of the year my son (who really is a bright child) had retained almost nothing from the text. The only reason we remember the activities is because we took photos of them. :)

The books are fun to look at...but for our family, we needed more "substance".

sshilling

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 26, 2010
  • Grades Used: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th
  • Dates used: 2008-2010
I am a co op teacher. My goal is to make history as interesting as possible. I want others to see how exciting history is.

For the 6th and 7th grade world history BJU curriculum, I thoroughly enjoyed it and my students loved it. They gave great suggestions for enrichment activities to do. We played games such as Mancala and Parchessi. We made some meals and even created some wool like the Mongols. My kids really enjoyed it and I could see that grasped all of the information because it was easy to understand.

On the other hand, the 8th grade US History and 9th grade Geography curriculums were HORRIBLE!! I don't think you could get more dry and dull as you could for these texts. They were painful for me to read and I love the subjects! I wish that the publisher would have carried over the suggestions/teacher's manual style from the 6th and 7th grade texts. They could have done so much more to make these subjects come alive.

10th grade world history was okay. I did like how it tied in scripture to the chapters. Other than that, I don't really see the difference there between a public school text book and a homeschool text book. This means that the teacher is going to have to be very creative to make the subject come alive. I have taught previously so I had a my bag of tricks to use to liven up the topics and that was a huge blessing!