Moving Beyond the Page

TDavis

• Reviewed on Friday, April 18, 2014
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten (5-7)- 8th grade (12-14)
  • Dates used: 2006-2014
When we first started homeschooling, I had pulled out my son halfway through kindergarten. I had no idea what I was doing or what we should look at. One of the first issues that we ran across was the lack of non-religious curriculum available to homeschoolers. We dabbled in a few available resources during that first year. Initially, we had good luck with Calvert because my son wanted everything to look like school. He got over that. Then we tried out Oak Meadow. It moved to slowly and the emphasis on de-emphasizing technology was not a good fit for our family.
One day, my son came to me and said, "I don't understand why all of the subjects are not connected together. I don't like that. I want my history, science and everything to match." So the search for unit studies was on. Initially, I put together my own. He was 6, how hard could it be, right? I quickly found out that my lack of knowledge on what was available made the job time intensive and cost prohibitive.
So, when I found Moving Beyond the Page, I was initially very excited...secular, unit studies, literature based, project oriented? It was everything we wanted. So, of course, I was skeptical. ;) We tried out one concept (9 weeks of school) and we really liked it. Then we tried another concept, and we really liked it again.
We have been die hard Moving Beyond the Page users and supporters ever since.
I have three children using it. The first, of course, was my son. Then my second came along. She is dyslexic. She didn't click with it immediately, but now she uses it alongside her brother and sister.
My 3rd child started out using the 5-7 (by this time, my oldest was using the 8-10). I knew that the youngest was very academically ahead, but it took getting through 5-7 and starting 6-8 before I realized how FAR ahead she was. When we began the 6-8 level (she was 6), she would do her work and then turn around and ask to do what her brother was doing. After doing that for a unit or so, I realized that she was just as capable of doing the 8-10 level as the 8 year old. She has been working at that level as him ever since.
Currently, we are getting ready to finish up the 12-14 level (11, 12 and 13 year olds) and are very sad that we are coming to the end of our time with MBTP.
Pros:
-literature based (no text books)
-project oriented, hands on
-unit studies
-secular
-Student driven in the older levels
-Available online or typed copy

Cons:
Really, none for our family. We are all very visual learners and unit studies has been a great match for us.

vsheldon

• Reviewed on Friday, January 25, 2013
  • Grades Used: 6-8, 9-11
  • Dates used: August 2011-Present
I'm not sure how I feel about MBtP. On one hand, my son really took off on his own with some of the topics and enjoyed what he was studying, on the other hand, it was very parent intensive, and too much to manage when working outside of the home. Also, we had absolutely no luck with any of the science experiments. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to use up our curriculum and give it a fighting chance this year, or move over to Oak Meadow.

smlott

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 31, 2012
  • Grades Used: 6-8, 7-9, 8-10
  • Dates used: 2008-2011
We have had great experiences with Moving Beyond the Page, but I think we use it a little differently than most. Aside from age level 6-8, which gives you no choice but to include the science and social studies, we have only used the literature units. It works perfectly for our family to use the literature unit guides as a "super duper" study guide. Not that I dislike something like Progeny Press, but you would never get all of the creative activity choices in a study guide like that as you get with MBTP. I think it makes the literature stick with you. We have a separate grammar, spelling and writing program, which is ok. We check out all literature from the library, so our only cost is $15 for each literature unit guide, which is no more expensive than something like Progeny Press. When our cost is so low, I don't feel badly about not completing ALL activities as we have other writing that must be done as well.

neen1274

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 28, 2012
  • Grades Used: 5-7 and 6-8
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
I used MBtP for two years. I was extremely please with it the first year. For my first grader, it was challenging, exciting. It encouraged thought and creativity.

I like the comprehensive nature of the lessons. Jean Piaget, in his research on learning, believed children learn best when they are active participants in the learning process.
I believe this curriculum encourages that active learning process. I, also like that the lesson incorporate different standards under the same core subject. From my educational background, I realize how beneficial this is to learning.

I like that it made thought processes necessary and not just wrote repetition and regurgitation.

Using it for second grade was a slight challenge with the level of hands on activities. I knew the curriculum was full of them and my son LOVED them.
We used the borrowed book feature the second year to keep costs down, and ended up purchasing a four or five of them because we enjoyed them so much.

I left MBtP and used a different curriculum this year.
I missed the connections made by MBtP.
I have and would recommend this curriculum to those who would like a creative, challenge for a learner.