Artistic Pursuits

Click for more information about Artistic Pursuits

kaybee

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Dates used: 2012-13
I was not a huge fan of AP. We had Grades K-2, book 1. I felt like it was a little dry and the art projects themselves weren't very interesting or fun.
I think it was a good idea and that in theory it should be good, but in practice it just didn't live up to the hype.
I much prefer something the kids can do more independently for art.

Nikki

• Reviewed on Monday, March 30, 2009
  • Grades Used: K-1st
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I am extremely pleased with Artistic Pursuits. I spent a lot of time looking for a true art curriculum for my young dc that wasn't just cut-and-paste type of activities. My daughter has always been, and wants to become, an artist.

We're just finishing book 1 and are ready to go with book 2. I like how the lessons give a background history lesson pertaining to art. There is discussion and observation about a work of art. Then there is the actual art lesson with examples done by children. I find these examples useful to show to my dc, as well as myself so I know about what to expect from my own dc. Book 2 concentrates each lesson on a particular artist. I like how we get exposed to different works of art from different periods.

I also like that we are get some experience with different art media. Sure, you could get by with fewer supplies probably, but we love learning how we can use the different art media. Sometimes, we will do a lesson the way it is written and then do it again using another of the media (oil pastels, watercolor crayons, chalk pastels, etc) just to see the different effects we can get.

Right now we are doing about 2 lessons per week. If my daughter had her way, we would do art first thing every morning! Even my son, who has absolutely NO intentions of being an artist, likes the projects and has made some very nice works. I also love to do the projects with them.

We look forward to more Artistic Pursuits and are very pleased with this true art education for art history, appreciation, and instruction.

Nikki

Jess McC

• Reviewed on Monday, December 1, 2008
  • Grades Used: !st grade
  • Dates used: 2008
We've been using this with our rising 6yo for the last few weeks. I did quite a lot of art in my pre-children days; dd is not as keen on art as I was at her age. I was looking for a textbook/workbook approach to art because minimal preparation is essential for us at the moment.

I've been delighted with this course. We're using the blue (first) book and it's just the right level - a year ago and I don't think she'd have been interested.

The lessons are in three parts; the first page talks about what artists do - eg, communicate, use photographs etc; the second page is art appreciation; the third is a project using simple media and using what the student has learnt from the previous 2 sections. There are even illustrations of pictures done by children; great for my dd who sometimes needs something to spark her own imagination.

My daughter's art - and confidence - has progressed by leaps and bounds just in a few weeks. This course is ideal for pretty much any child but perhaps especially one who doesn't want to spend ages doing art - the whole thing can take as little as 1/2 hour. A lot of courses get children from day one to sketch from life. That has never interested my dd and I was so pleased to see that the projects so far have been in some way from the imagination - guaranteed to appeal to small children!

Also, living in the UK, we were pleased to be able to buy the course here from Conquest Books.

Highly recommended!

kazc33

• Reviewed on Sunday, November 16, 2008
  • Dates used: 2008
We have just started with this curriculum about 10 weeks ago.

I have to say it is as brilliant as the last reviewer says it is. My daughter loves it and completes it independently. Some of the art she has produced using the techniques taught and inspirations provided by Artistic pursuits are brilliant.

I love that it is complete - teaching artistic techniques, art history and culture, and provides stimulus for unique artworks. Also, learning about artists and their works is built in.

After reading some reviews myself, we bought both the colour book and the black & white book, and are alternating between them, one week for each. I am very glad we did this as I am sure she would become quickly resistant to using only black & white.

Since my daughter is very artistic, and I am definitely not, this curriculum is a huge relief to me.