BJU Press Foreign Language (Bob Jones)

AnaRCHS

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 10, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009-10
So far, BJU Spanish 1 has been perfect for us. Although I speak Spanish, I grew up in the US so my knowledge of written Spanish and grammar is weak compared to my speaking skills. My husband does not speak Spanish but our children are at least exposed to the language, though I hadn't emphasized it to this point. I needed a curriculum which would introduce more vocabulary, provide detailed grammar, and provide dialogues for conversational skills. BJU is a perfect match for us because it does provide these elements plus introduces various Spanish-speaking countries, including cultural and geographical details, with each chapter. It also provides a challenging but not-too-difficult formal introduction to Spanish for students who may have already had some exposure to the language (such as in communities where there is a significant Spanish-speaking population). I would say that it would be helpful if the teacher has also had some exposure to the language as well (even a rusty high school Spanish course). Overall, BJU Spanish 1 was just what we were looking for.

Minniewannabe

• Reviewed on Friday, August 15, 2008
  • Grades Used: Elementary
  • Dates used: 2008
We are loving the "Pasaporte en Espanol" Kit B for elementary children. My 8 year old DD has already had about 2 years of Spanish using a multitude of curriculum, so she wasn't starting as a beginner. That's why we started with Kit B.

The program is so much fun. It begins with a Bible Verse and Bible Truth in Spanish which is repeated each day throughout a chapter. Then a series of words are introduced via large flash cards. There's only about 8 to 10 words per chapter so the children have plenty of time to learn their vocabulary. Next is a daily song or two which either correlates with the Bible verse or with the vocabulary words. If the parent doesn't speak Spanish, then the included CDs have all the necessary vocabulary and dialogues. These dialogues are used with a puppet that my DD now sleeps with. It's kind of an ugly iguana, but she loves it anyway. Finally, there's some easy workbook pages for the student which take less than 3 minutes.

Now for the parent, there's a very complete teacher guide which has each day's lesson plan spelled out verbatim each activity. The answer page to the workbook sheets are also there. The songs, Bible verse, dialogues, etc. are also included in this massive, ring-binded, teacher guide. Oh, and there's a little social studies lesson about a particular Spanish speaking country with each chapter. When the child completes this, he gets a sticker to go on his passport.

In summary, I couldn't recommend this program more. We are learning so much Spanish in a Christian teaching environment that we love.

Jane M

• Reviewed on Monday, January 21, 2008
  • Grades Used: Spanish II
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
My dd is a good student & is so frustrated with Spanish II that we have given up on it. We used the DVD (recording of HomeSat), and she complains that the sound quality is not good. She said that the teacher doesn't present the material well. My advice? Don't use BJU for foreign language. Disappointing as their other stuff is pretty good.

pathfinder027

• Reviewed on Friday, January 11, 2008
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
I do not recommend the BJU Spanish Curriculum. It is too hard for first year Spanish students, and not much better for second and third year students. It has no logical "flow" to the material, but jumps around erratically. The teaching segments are brief and not thorough enough, interspersed with "Actividades" which sometimes go beyond the level of the students. It tries to teach Spanish by "total immersion", using nothing but Spanish from the start, but that overwhelms the first year students. My 2nd and 3rd year students are ill-prepared for their levels, partly because the 1st year material was too hard for them to master.

There is a set of CDs for 1st and 2nd year, but they are a waste of money (and quite expensive). The speakers speak too fast for the students to grasp what they are saying. They use a variety of speakers, male and female, and their accents and rapid speech make them hard to follow. Some speak too softly or indistinctly, which makes them hard to understand.

I am trying to find a better Spanish curriculum for my Christian school for next year.