BJU Press Complete (Bob Jones)

NYS Mom

• Reviewed on Friday, December 2, 2016
  • Grades Used: 5th and 8th
  • Dates used: 2016
My first experience with BJU was grade 5 Language; and I liked it very much! The work is very organized in the teacher manual, very easy to do lessons, etc.
So knowing this, I switched my 8th grader to BJU as well, full curriculum, plus DVDs. HUGE mistake! BJU for middle school is highly disorganized! They send you these millions of printed pages that you have to put into a gigantic binder, one is with the Parent manual, one is with the Student worksheets, one for EACH subject,and they also send an additional video manual that works for all the subjects. Part of these three types of materials contain the SAME information, plus some extra.
I found this highly confusing at first, and very frustrating! I am comparing BJU to ABeka books and dvds, because I have used ABeka several yrs in the past, and they are much more organized!!

Also the DVD lessons that BJU provides, are a lot more boring than ABeka, and two of the subjects , Language and Science, do not contain individual lessons that you can pick and choose from the menu of the dvd, but they rather have a one long (usually 2hrs long) video, with about 4 lessons, one in the continuation of the next one, with no intreruption.

I will never use BJU again, I promise! I did it thinking it would make my teaching job easier; it did Not, it complicated it.

aleecex2

• Reviewed on Monday, August 13, 2012
  • Grades Used: ?
  • Dates used: ?
I am an Abeka mom of a will be 9th grader daughter. She excels with Abeka but it is getting to the point where it is so laughably out-dated it is ridiculous! Everything in Abeka suits her, she loves and excels at math, English in easy for her, reading is her favorite, and history and science isn't even like school. I want something that will be very similar for her to cope with as she snow preparing for college, is BJU the right choice, I would enjoy a possible list of curricula that might work if BJU isn't what I'm looking for.

mamauv8

• Reviewed on Monday, April 2, 2012
  • Dates used: 2001
Bob Jones is an excellent program to use for grades 1-6.I will use it for these grades religiously!! But after that it goes downhill! For grades 7 and 8 the lesson books are just a copy as to what is in the text and does not include a step by step lesson...needed especially for these grades. I would spend my whole summer planning my lessons!!

So we switched to SOS and that was a BIG mistake!!
So Cyber school here we come!!
Blessed journeys on homeschooling!!
Mamauv8

jnswhitmire

• Reviewed on Sunday, December 27, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd-3rd
  • Dates used: 2008-still
I Love this Curriculum... It's easy to understand.. Has lots of oppurtunities for hands on learning. It incorporates the Bible in every lesson. Also the Support team is wonderfull with questions and such... ( Ive only called twice in 2 years) They also include any corrections or extra resources they come across on their website... I have bought the whole kit both years and have only spent small amounts on extras which was all my own idea... other than basic school supplies there isnt alot of additional cost.. My sons handwriting was unreadable until I retaught him using the BJU method and the cursive letters I think are prettier.. I don't think that I have had any bad with any part of BJU other than cost but we all wish that the homeschool world was cheaper right?...LOL
12345678910...