Apologia Exploring Creation With General Science

amyknecht

• Reviewed on Monday, December 9, 2013
  • Dates used: 2011-12 and 2013-14
Ugh. I'd heard so much good about Apologia. My kids love the lower level books (zoology, astronomy, etc.). However, when we got to the upper levels (we've done Gen. Science, Physical Science, Biology) I started realizing how horrible the text books are. First, people talk about how much they love the "conversational tone" of Wile. But this is not preparing them for college science where they're presented with text books full of just facts. Students have to weed through reminiscing and rabbit trails to get to the "meat" of the text. The author talks down to the students. Further, my son circled every time he used the word "I" in a chapter: 57 times!!!!

From an educational standpoint I don't think the books stand up either. Too little practice given for difficult concepts. You read tons of material, answer only 10 or so questions per large section, fill out a study guide, and then take a test over a HUGE amount of material. Then it's forgotten, never to be addressed again. My kids have retained almost nothing from their science classes. On the other hand, my son did Earth Space Science with Abeka: every day there was reading and questions, then a quiz or two per week, then multiple tests per quarter with cumulative tests every semester. He knew his stuff when he was done.

pemberley

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 22, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
Still loving Apologia science!

For those who have used Apologia, you know how solid the education is when using their books.

For those who are new and are just now considering Apologia...let me share my thoughts...

Pros:
Written very well...written to student...written in conversational tone.
Experiments are simply but thought-provoking and very "to the point".
Easy flow.
Heavy on Creationist belief (though that can be a con as well)

Cons:
Lots to read...but is that necessarily a bad thing?
Heavy on Creationist belief (though that can be a pro as well)

I would love to see some "living book" suggestions that tie in with this text, but don't think it NEEDS supplements.

My son is certainly learning a lot through this book...and so am I! I enjoy it and I don't consider myself to be a science-minded person.

heksb

• Reviewed on Wednesday, December 30, 2009
  • Dates used: 2008
My DD used General Science in 8th grade and she really liked it. My smallest DD who was 1st grade last year did every experiment right along side my older one and she still to this day loves to tell people about blowing up a balloon with a 2 litre bottle of baking soda, cabbage juice and vinegar..lol. She at 6 understood the concepts that the experiment was showing and out of everything she did last year, I think the labs with her sister taught her more than anything. My DD is using Apologia Biology this year as well and she likes it ok, but we are changing to ACE for Chemistry next year.

AK_Mom4

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 9, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009
DS used General science this year for 7th grade. I say that HE used the curriculum because he worked completely independently. Each day, he would read the text and answer the On Your Own questions or take the test or do experiments. There is no TM - the set comes with a Student text and a book of tests with answers.

Pros: very complete general science course. DS very much liked the conversational style. While this is a Christian book, the author does a good job of presenting scientific material in a balanced fashion.

Cons: the first module is quite difficult with lots of names of scientists and their discoveries to memorize. Some of the experiments are pretty basic. DS complained that the chapters were too unrelated - each module really is a self-contained unit.

We ordered the lab kit from homesciencetools that goes with Apologia General Science and were very glad we did. It had several "hard-to-find" items that made the experiments much easier.