The Math Worksheet Site

joyfulmommakim

• Reviewed on Wednesday, November 23, 2005
  • Dates used: since 2004
My only complaint with The Math Work Sheet Site is that it has not been around since we started homeschooling in 1997!

If you are a homeschooler looking for an inexpensive yet comprehensive way to teach basic and some advanced math skills, then this is the perfect site for you. The Bryce family has done a perfect job putting together a math worksheet generator that creates Math worksheets for this homeschooling mom every day. It 's a huge time and money saver, and works well to review the basics over and over again with younger grades.

Recently I have begun to use the more advanced worksheets to help my 7th grader in Math, reinforcing key concepts and giving her added practice that supplements what she is learning in Saxon 76.

Overall I would give this site five stars! Whether you are looking for something to teach basic math facts and concepts, or something to supplement what you are already using, the Math Worksheet Site is an excellent tool to have in your toolbox!

Cmanning

• Reviewed on Wednesday, November 23, 2005
  • Grades Used: Pre-K - 6th
  • Dates used: 2003-2005
Comprehensive and fun math site for pre-school and school-age children. Specifics I like:

1. Breaks the huge topic of math down into subjects, with levels for each subject. This makes much more sense than grades, and takes much competitive pressure off of siblings! Also easy for us non-math-types to use, and makes for a well-rounded education in "thinking math."
2. Pre-school thinking skills. A 4 y/o can have great fun with patterning and counting the pretty pictures. This is more of a "game" than work, and is much in demand.
3. CONTROL OF VARIABLES. I can be very specific about what I want to work on, for example, I can make a worksheet where the numbers 3,4, and 5 are added to the numbers 0-12, or choose a more specific range. I can choose vertical or horizontal problems. This helps target problem areas and document progress.
4. RANDOMIZATION. Once I select the material I want to work with, I can click "Create It," print the worksheet, hit the Back button, and clicking "Create It" again prints a completely different worksheet within the same range. This means unlimited worksheets in any area.
5. HIGH VISUAL CONTENT. The examples used are like having two-dimensional manipulatives - the student can often SEE the math concept at work rather than trying to digest a description of the concept.
6. Inexpensive. One subscription covers all my kids' math needs for a year - more than worth it.
7. (Here's the acid test) They like it! The combination of fun graphics and ease of understanding make it a favorite of the kids. My oldest is also working through a Saxon math text, and asks, "After this, do I get a worksheet (from the Math Worksheet Site) too?"