BJU Press English / Writing & Grammar (Bob Jones)

cknipp

• Reviewed on Monday, May 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd-5th
  • Dates used: 20012-2013
Our first year homeschooling after taking our boys out of public school was scary!I researched every typeof curriculum out there! That was overwhelming. I only used BJU Science last year and my boys like it so much that I regret not choosing more BJU for other subjects.

I just settled on next year's choices and BJU is going to be used to English, Science, History, and Reading.

I use things differently than most. I skip the teacher editions and most gasp at this.... My background is in elementary education so I don't need the answer key and I didn't find much more new information in the TE's. BJU isn't cheap so it helps to use the student texts and supplement with my own teaching and activities. It makes it less teacher-intensive as well.

BJU English is great in its approach and order. I love the alternating chapter on grammar and writing. I will add in videos from BrainPop or print extra practice if they struggle with a concept. The student worktext is a great spine and very thorough.

sreasen

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 2, 2013
  • Grades Used: K-6th
  • Dates used: 2005-2013
I love love love this program! My kids have been using this curriculum for all of elementary school and they score high on standardized testing every year in English/ Grammar. I've heard that Abeka is better but in my opinion BJU Press does a great job with sentence diagraming, grammar, and even the composition chapters. Very pleased!

loesje22000

• Reviewed on Friday, July 29, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st-3rd
  • Dates used: 2007-2011
We used 1st grade as a EFL program. That didn't work for us, beceause the focus was on learning to read not learning English. 2nd grade was a good year dc liked it very much and learned to write. 3rd grade we became irritated about the grammar sections. Again the same topics, just ticking boxes or writing T and F.
We still like the writing sections, but BJU is too expensive to get here to do it partially.
So we will switch next year.
We plan to work with Galore Park English.

jriddle

• Reviewed on Monday, June 20, 2011
  • Dates used: 2005-2011
We're not Bob Jones exclusive, but we have loved Bob Jones English 2. We have used it for each of our four kids, and they have learned all the fundamentals from this program: sentences, how to write a report, basic grammar.

We combined it with Rod and Staff, and Climbing to Good English, and so far we've had English/grammar success without any of the more rigorous programs. Considering the pressure to get into Shurley or another more intense option, I just wanted to say that Bob Jones does a great job with this early elementary level.