BJU Press English / Writing & Grammar (Bob Jones)

txwaandrews

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 2, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3rd Grade
  • Dates used: 2014
We are on chapter 3. My daughter is 8 and I would say that English is one of her stronger subjects- naturally.

We really enjoy this curriculum. We switched from an all A Beka curriculum last year, to an almost all BJU curriculum this year.

BJU for all the subjects we have (Spelling, English, Science, Heritage Studies) is very well laid out, organized and illustrated.

For English, the teachers guide is useful, I use them for all subjects. Lessons all start out with presenting the lesson, then guided practice, then independent. Chapters all end with a review, cumulative review (includes content from previous chapters for reinforcement) then a test.

My daughter enjoys this and she's gaining knowledge. It's not cumbersome and it allows for some creative writing as well. I think each day, her English skills are being fine tuned.

I will say, with all BJU- reading comprehension is a must. Their curriculum is beautifully written and the questions require that you have read and understood what was taught. There's no cutting corners, and she picked up quickly after the first week, with all answers to "prove it". Meaning- find exactly where you read it and answer accordingly. This is a valuable skill IMO! What a curriculum should do.

cknipp

• Reviewed on Monday, May 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd-5th
  • Dates used: 20012-2013
Our first year homeschooling after taking our boys out of public school was scary!I researched every typeof curriculum out there! That was overwhelming. I only used BJU Science last year and my boys like it so much that I regret not choosing more BJU for other subjects.

I just settled on next year's choices and BJU is going to be used to English, Science, History, and Reading.

I use things differently than most. I skip the teacher editions and most gasp at this.... My background is in elementary education so I don't need the answer key and I didn't find much more new information in the TE's. BJU isn't cheap so it helps to use the student texts and supplement with my own teaching and activities. It makes it less teacher-intensive as well.

BJU English is great in its approach and order. I love the alternating chapter on grammar and writing. I will add in videos from BrainPop or print extra practice if they struggle with a concept. The student worktext is a great spine and very thorough.

sreasen

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 2, 2013
  • Grades Used: K-6th
  • Dates used: 2005-2013
I love love love this program! My kids have been using this curriculum for all of elementary school and they score high on standardized testing every year in English/ Grammar. I've heard that Abeka is better but in my opinion BJU Press does a great job with sentence diagraming, grammar, and even the composition chapters. Very pleased!

loesje22000

• Reviewed on Friday, July 29, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st-3rd
  • Dates used: 2007-2011
We used 1st grade as a EFL program. That didn't work for us, beceause the focus was on learning to read not learning English. 2nd grade was a good year dc liked it very much and learned to write. 3rd grade we became irritated about the grammar sections. Again the same topics, just ticking boxes or writing T and F.
We still like the writing sections, but BJU is too expensive to get here to do it partially.
So we will switch next year.
We plan to work with Galore Park English.