AVKO Sequential Spelling

Click for more information about AVKO Sequential Spelling

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 24, 2015
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2015
We have been using this program for about a month and we love it. A friend gave me an older version of this program and we started at the beginning. My son caught on fast and LOVES it. He feels like he is getting better at spelling. It takes about 15 minuets to complete the days spelling lesson/test. No games, memorization, or rules, just the test and your done. The words build on themselves and you are able to make connections about rules on your own. Two days into this program my son started getting almost all the words right, talk about a confidence boost. This program is great, we love it!

• Reviewed on Monday, February 18, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2013
We are new homeschoolers for the 2012-2013 school year. We have only been using this book for a couple of weeks. We had abandoned spelling completely for the last couple of months. (were using Abeka and it just wasn't working for us, the words were a little to hard for her level and were not related word families). We started right at level one. My daughter is a great reader, but has always spelled things like they sound in her head. This method has been wonderful so far. Spelling takes about 15-20 minutes each day, max. And because we started at the beginning, she has had early success and the word families are exactly what we needed. And everyday after we do the list, she draws a picture of anything she wants from the list of words. She loves that. I will post an update after we have used it for a few months.

• Reviewed on Friday, August 24, 2012
  • Grades Used: 5 levels
  • Dates used: 2007-2012
We just completed Level 5 of SS. I am in disbelief of the reviews here. My kids are as different as night and day and both are now excellent spellers, including myself. We worked about 2 years w/ the recommended approach and then they got so good we started spelling out loud. By level 3 - our lists took about 10 mins a day. Probably the drudgery would come if you insist the student right the misspelled words over and over again. I'm not sure, but I wonder if everyone started at the beginning like they were supposed to (no matter your level) and if they used the dry erase board technique just erasing parts of the word each time instead of the entire word. All to say - we love SS and have successfully mastered spelling w/o memorizing rules.

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 10, 2012
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010
Well this was a bust for my daughter. She is a perfectionist and the program works by having the kids spell their new words cold everyday and then fixing their errors. Well my daughter hates to make errors, so she considered every day a 'test' that she was failing, even though making errors is kind of the point of the program. We had tears daily and I realized this program just won't work for a kid like mine.