Wordly Wise

Summer123

• Reviewed on Friday, December 2, 2016
  • Grades Used: 5th & 8th
  • Dates used: 2016-2017
We used this program for the first time this year. My DD (8th grade - Book 8) likes it and but my DS (5th - Book 5), who doesn't like to write, not so much. However, being Christians and having a young earth view, for us it has been disappointing. My son pointed out in his book (Book 5) that there is an article where it mentions dinosaurs and millions of years. Then in another section, it talks about penguins and mentions that scientists believe that they once flew. Honestly, it would have been a decent vocab program if they could of made the book without those references. We haven't found anything like that (half way through) in the 8th grade book yet. We stopped using the program because I just want a curriculum that teaches my child vocabulary without having to be concerned that they are including their point of view on evolution based topics.

floridaokiegal

• Reviewed on Friday, July 27, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd-3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-present
My daughter did the Wordly Wise 3000 for 3rd grade last year. I found it to be challenging but not overwhelming and it worked for us. My son is now starting 2nd grade so I decided to have him do the Wordly Wise 3000 for 2nd grade. After doing one lesson, I have found it to be way too much for a beginning 2nd grader. First of all, I think 10 new words plus their multiple definitions per lessons is too many for a beginning 2nd grader. Too overwhelming. Then we got to the literature passage; it was a whole page long with fairly small print- unless your 2nd grade is way above grade level, it is just too much for them to attempt to read themselves. If you don't mind reading the passage to your student outloud, it might work ok but if you are wanting lessons that a 2nd grader can do independently, this will not work for you. I plan on holding off doing the rest of the lessons and maybe starting again toward the end of 2nd grade, when his reading skills are better.

Tammy K

• Reviewed on Friday, February 10, 2012
  • Grades Used: 5th-8th
  • Dates used: 2009-2012
Wordly Wise or WorLdly Wise?
Per the recommendations of some popular Christian homeschooling authorities, we purchased several year's worth of Wordly Wise. This would have been a great curriculum were it not for the liberal underpinnings (in the newest editions) that become increasingly pervasive as the levels progress. If you hold to a Biblical worldview, you may take issue with some of the presuppositions in the reading material, like "millions of years" and "global warming". For these reasons, we could no longer continue this curriculum.

Pokie3

• Reviewed on Monday, October 19, 2009
  • Dates used: current (2009)
Unfortunately, we do not like the program at all. I don't see it as exceptional and there's an awful lot of worldy viewpoint in there. A lot of the stories that incorporate the week's vocabulary words start with words like, "3 million year ago..." Seriously, my kids get enough of the world's viewpoint on the origins aof man. I don't need to add it to our daily lessons. I'm not looking for Christian curriculum necessarily, but something more neutral would be preferred.