History Alive! by Diana Waring

ErinD

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 16, 2013
  • Grades Used: 5th, 3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-13
We began using History Revealed in our homeschool last year, starting with Ancient Civilizations and the Bible.

Likes:
1. This program is Biblical.

2. It's multi-level. I love doing history as a group and we've enjoyed doing it together. Even my 4yo enjoyed listening to the audios and we can re-use each level for each go through history. I think it will be especially good for high school.

3. There is so much to choose from! If you like having a guide FULL of options, then this is for you. There are articles, audios, Bible reading, book suggestions, crafts, art ideas, recipes, research suggestions, maps, timelines, etc etc etc. It's impossible to do it all but it's perfect for pursuing interesting rabbit trails while still covering the basics of each time period.

4. It's interesting! Diana's audios are especially interesting and engaging, often causing us to research things we really want to know more about.

The only thing I can think of that might be a downfall is the planning involved. Since you can't do everything, you do have to pick and choose (and plan) what you are going to cover, which books you'll read, etc. But even this isn't that big a job, it just requires previewing the chapter and making a checklist.

We will be continuing next year with Romans, Reformers and Revolutionaries and are very much looking forward to it.

Ericka

• Reviewed on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd-7th
  • Dates used: Fall 2009
We are using History Alive, Ancient Civilizations and the Bible with 5 students of different grade levels. I love this curriculum. It is very in depth and teaches history in an exciting way! We love the recommended reading and have been able to find something for each reading level. Many books I ordered used from Amazon, but some we checked out from libraries in cities surrounding our small town.
I ordered this curriculum after reading reviews on this site. There were a couple that stated this curriculum took a lot of parent planning and organizing. I did not find this to be true. I looked over the book list for the months topic (ie ancient egypt) and checked online to see where to get the books. I also printed the daily assignements for the month and what page in the student or teacher's book to find them in. My children were in charge of reading and following the instructions and choosing a project to prepare and present at the end of the week. I loved that there are enough project choices to cover each childs learning style! The younger children use the lower elementary version of the book and require just a little more help.
Overall, my children and I are very enthusiastic about History Alive - the cd's, the projects, the research, and Biblical reference have all been excellent. It has encouraged us all to dig deeper and have greater discernment about our past, present, and future.
I definitely recommend this history series.

lgraves

• Reviewed on Friday, April 10, 2009
  • Grades Used: 6th-11th
  • Dates used: 2008-present
I use the Ancient Civilizations and the Bible curriculum with all my children in middle/high school. This is the most fantastic History curriculum I've come across! Ms. Waring presents History in Biblical context with SO MANY activity suggestions for everyone. We don't do 75% of the suggestions, but we still learn a TON! We do the Bible passages, time lines, maps, articles, CD's, and a few extras, and still cover so much interesting material. The CD's are very exciting to listen to. I wish I had learned History from a Biblical perspective this way. We're getting ready to start her second volume, and I can't wait!

FreeInHim

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 17, 2008
  • Grades Used: Sixth
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
Love it - Love it - Love it !!!

No way to say enough things about this program. My daughter started at Waring's Ancient Civilization this year and we will continue on with the next two. Diana Waring has a tremendous way of bringing HisStory to life, connecting the dots, and making the wonderful puzzle pieces fit.

We loved the ability to pick and choose from her ideas within each unit's phase. Sometimes we took all 4 weeks to complete a unit, sometimes we took more. The research and reporting ideas would hook us from one to another. Her articles are full of information and fun to read. The audio CD's are great to listen to and our entire family (from our youngest to daddy) enjoyed her style.

I loved the supplemental reading choices. Most of the suggested materials we could find at our local library. At the very beginning - of course - those are harder to find, but that would be the case no matter the curriculum of choice from a Biblical perspective. After about the 2nd unit, we had no problems. A lot of the books we ended up purchasing after reading simply because we wanted it on our shelf.

I can only say that my daughter and I loved all of it. We are looking forward to more years with Diana Waring!