History Alive! by Diana Waring

travelbug

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 17, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013
I started out with this program for my daughter, after doing extensive research on various programs. It looked fantastic and engaging, and I loved the hands on aspects, as well as the ability to adapt it to the different learning styles of students.

We brought it home, and we hated it. Sigh. Sometimes our best efforts just don't work. I found that there were just too many options -- you could do this, or that, or that, or that. And I'm the kind of person who likes variety and choice. I don't like scripted programs that tell me exactly what to do, and I'm always willing to put in some time to teach a program and prepare. I found some activities were in the teacher's manual, while others were in the student book. The literature suggestions didn't interest us at all. The audio CDs drove my daughter crazy and she simply refused to listen to them (Diana is very, very animated).

Just for comparison, I found that the program is less in depth than Story of the World, which we ended up using. Not a flaw, just a note.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this program, but it just didn't work for us at all.

ErinD

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 16, 2013
  • Grades Used: 5th, 3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-13
We began using History Revealed in our homeschool last year, starting with Ancient Civilizations and the Bible.

Likes:
1. This program is Biblical.

2. It's multi-level. I love doing history as a group and we've enjoyed doing it together. Even my 4yo enjoyed listening to the audios and we can re-use each level for each go through history. I think it will be especially good for high school.

3. There is so much to choose from! If you like having a guide FULL of options, then this is for you. There are articles, audios, Bible reading, book suggestions, crafts, art ideas, recipes, research suggestions, maps, timelines, etc etc etc. It's impossible to do it all but it's perfect for pursuing interesting rabbit trails while still covering the basics of each time period.

4. It's interesting! Diana's audios are especially interesting and engaging, often causing us to research things we really want to know more about.

The only thing I can think of that might be a downfall is the planning involved. Since you can't do everything, you do have to pick and choose (and plan) what you are going to cover, which books you'll read, etc. But even this isn't that big a job, it just requires previewing the chapter and making a checklist.

We will be continuing next year with Romans, Reformers and Revolutionaries and are very much looking forward to it.

Ericka

• Reviewed on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd-7th
  • Dates used: Fall 2009
We are using History Alive, Ancient Civilizations and the Bible with 5 students of different grade levels. I love this curriculum. It is very in depth and teaches history in an exciting way! We love the recommended reading and have been able to find something for each reading level. Many books I ordered used from Amazon, but some we checked out from libraries in cities surrounding our small town.
I ordered this curriculum after reading reviews on this site. There were a couple that stated this curriculum took a lot of parent planning and organizing. I did not find this to be true. I looked over the book list for the months topic (ie ancient egypt) and checked online to see where to get the books. I also printed the daily assignements for the month and what page in the student or teacher's book to find them in. My children were in charge of reading and following the instructions and choosing a project to prepare and present at the end of the week. I loved that there are enough project choices to cover each childs learning style! The younger children use the lower elementary version of the book and require just a little more help.
Overall, my children and I are very enthusiastic about History Alive - the cd's, the projects, the research, and Biblical reference have all been excellent. It has encouraged us all to dig deeper and have greater discernment about our past, present, and future.
I definitely recommend this history series.

lgraves

• Reviewed on Friday, April 10, 2009
  • Grades Used: 6th-11th
  • Dates used: 2008-present
I use the Ancient Civilizations and the Bible curriculum with all my children in middle/high school. This is the most fantastic History curriculum I've come across! Ms. Waring presents History in Biblical context with SO MANY activity suggestions for everyone. We don't do 75% of the suggestions, but we still learn a TON! We do the Bible passages, time lines, maps, articles, CD's, and a few extras, and still cover so much interesting material. The CD's are very exciting to listen to. I wish I had learned History from a Biblical perspective this way. We're getting ready to start her second volume, and I can't wait!