Veritas Press History

homeschooljess

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 5, 2017
  • Grades Used: 6-12th
  • Dates used: 2017
When I was asked to work on a Veritas Press Self Paced course review, I was pretty darn happy. I like reviewing products from companies that I’ve heard about from other homeschoolers whom I trust. I always want to know what all the buzz is about!

Before I get into the Veritas Press Self Paced Course review though, I’d like to give you some general info about the company – Veritas Press is a company that offers Classical Education from a Christian worldview.

In terms of Classical education, Veritas uses the Trivium as the building blocks for all their curricula. The Trivium = three different stages of learning and they include the:

Grammar Stage: Young children (in grades K–6th) are naturally inquisitive and they are willing and able to memorize lots of material. In this stage, Veritas Press uses historical and biblical timelines to help children absorb lots of information. Also, they teach children the basics of Latin and math.
Logic Stage: As children get older (7th–9th Grade), children tend to become a bit more argumentative. This stage of learning is called the Dialectic or Logic Stage. In this stage, Veritas Press teaches students about cause and effect, and how to think and argue using logic. While students are learning to reason, they’re also learning how they can express themselves via the written word.
Rhetoric Stage: When kids are in the 10th–12th Grade, they become more concerned about how they are perceived. At this stage, Veritas Press teaches rhetoric and how to communicate effectively.
This is a great video overview of the Trivium.

Regarding their Christian perspective, Veritas likes to say they have– “an unapologetic, Christ-centered focus”.

Veritas Press Self Paced Course selection is expansive. Each of the self-paced history courses has 160 lessons covering 32 historical events. Each of the 32 events covered has 5 lessons, usually completed one per day so that one event is covered each week. At that pace, the course is completed in 32 weeks. The first lesson of each five lesson sets includes a graded quiz (for which the student may refer to his or her flashcards), and the fifth lesson of each five lesson set includes a graded test (which is closed book).

So, what course did we review? The Veritas Press Self Paced Course focused on the Old Testament and Ancient Egypt course (a journey through the beginning of history).

So, can you name all the twelve tribes of Israel? Do you know the seven days of Creation? How about the order of the major dynasties of Egypt and where they fall related to biblical events? No? After taking this course, your children will know all of this!

That’s because the course covers important events from Creation to the fall of Egypt – all in chronological order (chronology is stressed in this course). All of the following is covered – whew-that’s a lot of information!

Creation
The Davidic Kingdom
Solomon’s Reign
Alexander the Great Conquers Egypt
Egypt Falls to Rome
I’m going to talk about the first ten lessons, and show screen shots from them – as these are the lessons my daughter has been working on for the last two weeks. She’s doing one lesson per day.

Here are some of the things taught in the first 10 lessons:

The Bible is always true. If something doesn’t agree with the Bible, it’s untrue. The Bible is God’s word and can always be trusted.
The Tree of Knowledge may have been a Pomegranate tree.
Adam’s sin made us guilty before God.
The lessons include interactive, live action teaching videos; an animated talking Great Sphynx; games and more.

Here are the many things my daughter and I like about the course:

There’s an overview of the course as well as a supply list – as a parent, I appreciated being able to review both before my daughter started the course. Whew! I didn’t need any supplies until lesson 18!

Read more of this review at HowToHomeschool.net.

zippymom

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 9, 2013
  • Grades Used: 5th grade
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
My DS used the 1815-Present Veritas Self Paced History course that is available online. Lessons are presented in an interesting video format with built games for review and a quiz every fifth lesson. The timeline history cards are needed to aid in memorizing the information. We also added in some suggested reading and timeline figures for our wall timeline. The content is solid and engaging. My son enjoyed the lessons for the most part and he retained the information well. He was able to complete the lessons independently. Our only complaint is that the lessons would some times get "hung up" on a game or video and we would be unable to finish the lesson until the next day. This was very frustrating. We also had problems at time with not being able to get the lessons to load at all...it was as if their servers were overwhelmed with users. We got this course at a discount through a Group Buy and because of that I think it was worth it. If I had paid full price for the course I would have been disappointed in the issues we had with our access.

marygq

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 28, 2012
  • Grades Used: elementary online self-paced course
  • Dates used: 2012
Enrolling in this course is the best money I've ever spent on homeschooling. I love teaching my kids reading, grammar, math, and science, but history is where I felt lost. I really didn't have a good grasp of history and so many terms sounded familiar but I didn't know anything about them.
I used a variety of curricula which let me learn with my children, and it was often fascinating, but I didn't have the foundation to keep up a good pace or plan ways to make the information stick with my kids. This video course is just great teaching! It is funny, reviews constantly, and seems to anticipate all the questions I have that would otherwise send me on a trail to find more information. It is thorough and sets high expectations for what young children can learn, yet makes it accessible.
There are two levels of reading lists. When you enroll in the course, you can print the schedule which is very clear and not too fast-paced. The books may be a little above a student's reading level but they're excellent to read aloud.
The course in arranged to correspond with 32 cards that form a timeline for the period you choose to study. A memory song is constantly reviewed to teach the children the sequence of events. There are 5 lessons for each card, with each lesson taking about a half-hour, except the last lesson which is a quick test.
It is a relief to have someone else teaching history in our homeschool, but I'm still completely involved. I don't have to watch every lesson at all; with all the review, If I just join in on part of the week's lessons I learn so much. Wonderful to sit back and enjoy learning with my children!

aecaswell

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 29, 2012
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
My daughter is absolutely in LOVE with history and the bible thanks to this curriculum. The talking sphynx makes her laugh out loud. She also loves the memory songs and sings them all the time. The program reinforces concepts repeatedly which really seems to make the information stick. It takes no effort on my part to get her to do her lessons. We save Veritas Press History for the end so that it is the "dessert" of her educational journey each day.