Veritas Press History

zippymom

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 9, 2013
  • Grades Used: 5th grade
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
My DS used the 1815-Present Veritas Self Paced History course that is available online. Lessons are presented in an interesting video format with built games for review and a quiz every fifth lesson. The timeline history cards are needed to aid in memorizing the information. We also added in some suggested reading and timeline figures for our wall timeline. The content is solid and engaging. My son enjoyed the lessons for the most part and he retained the information well. He was able to complete the lessons independently. Our only complaint is that the lessons would some times get "hung up" on a game or video and we would be unable to finish the lesson until the next day. This was very frustrating. We also had problems at time with not being able to get the lessons to load at all...it was as if their servers were overwhelmed with users. We got this course at a discount through a Group Buy and because of that I think it was worth it. If I had paid full price for the course I would have been disappointed in the issues we had with our access.

marygq

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 28, 2012
  • Grades Used: elementary online self-paced course
  • Dates used: 2012
Enrolling in this course is the best money I've ever spent on homeschooling. I love teaching my kids reading, grammar, math, and science, but history is where I felt lost. I really didn't have a good grasp of history and so many terms sounded familiar but I didn't know anything about them.
I used a variety of curricula which let me learn with my children, and it was often fascinating, but I didn't have the foundation to keep up a good pace or plan ways to make the information stick with my kids. This video course is just great teaching! It is funny, reviews constantly, and seems to anticipate all the questions I have that would otherwise send me on a trail to find more information. It is thorough and sets high expectations for what young children can learn, yet makes it accessible.
There are two levels of reading lists. When you enroll in the course, you can print the schedule which is very clear and not too fast-paced. The books may be a little above a student's reading level but they're excellent to read aloud.
The course in arranged to correspond with 32 cards that form a timeline for the period you choose to study. A memory song is constantly reviewed to teach the children the sequence of events. There are 5 lessons for each card, with each lesson taking about a half-hour, except the last lesson which is a quick test.
It is a relief to have someone else teaching history in our homeschool, but I'm still completely involved. I don't have to watch every lesson at all; with all the review, If I just join in on part of the week's lessons I learn so much. Wonderful to sit back and enjoy learning with my children!

aecaswell

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 29, 2012
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
My daughter is absolutely in LOVE with history and the bible thanks to this curriculum. The talking sphynx makes her laugh out loud. She also loves the memory songs and sings them all the time. The program reinforces concepts repeatedly which really seems to make the information stick. It takes no effort on my part to get her to do her lessons. We save Veritas Press History for the end so that it is the "dessert" of her educational journey each day.

sage64

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 3, 2011
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
My daughter is using the Old Testament/Ancient Egypt self-paced course. She loves this program. We will definitely continue with Veritas Press.