TruthQuest History

threeboysmama

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 13, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd-3rd
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
Truthquest is a guide for a literature-rich, Christ-centered way to look at history. If you don't have a good library system, you would need a large book budget. :) It's basically commentary and a book list, combined. You can use a spine - and the author recommends several - but you don't have to. She also lists specific non-fiction books dedicated to whatever topic you're studying, books that provide an overview of the era, and historical fiction. In the younger guides she also recommends activity books, but I'm not sure she does that in the ones for older kids.

There are samples, recommended optional spines, and a complete table of contents for each guide at www.truthquesthistory.com. There are now notebooking, timeline, and lapbooking components designed to complement each guide available, too.

When we used American History for Young Students with my ds, I read the commentary to him and we discussed it. We found using a spine that we read together and then a "book basket" full of choices for him to read alone worked well. There are lots of picture books recommended, as well as longer biographies and chapter books, so he had a variety to choose from.

What I like about it, in no particular order:

**The commentary makes it feel more cohesive (to me) than something like Biblioplan or All Through the Ages.
**The emphasis on it being HIStory, and how history is relevant today on a very personal level.
**The balance between secular history and extremely Providential history - I really don't like the history programs that come across that anything the white settlers did was fine because it was God's plan for America. This would be more relevant to the American history guides, of course. She (the author) is careful to point out that sometimes people made choices that weren't pleasing to God. You can often see God's hand of blessing and protection removed from America at those times. She doesn't gloss over the issues of slavery and how the Indians were treated, although in the younger guides she doesn't go too in-depth with it.
**She recommends some really good books.
**If she's not familiar with the book, she notes that.
**Lots of opportunity for great discussion - something I love for history, since there are so many opportunities to teach worldview!

Cons:

**The tone of the guides is definitely conversational and casual. We would sometimes skip some of the commentary or rephrase it in my own words to get rid of some of the slang and exceptional!!!!!! enthusiasm!!!!! :)
**It can be hard to schedule (at least until you've figured out what works for you!)
**There aren't hands-on activities scheduled, although the author does occasionally recommend coloring books, paper dolls, etc that would coordinate with the topic.
**It's definitely not open-and-go, unless you only use a spine or have an extensive home library. It requires some forethought to request and pick up library books.

For our family, the pros easily outweigh the cons, and we are so excited to see that a new ancient history guide is now available!

keep trying

• Reviewed on Monday, January 31, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3-5 & 5-12
  • Dates used: 2006 - 2011
I cannot say enough good things about this program! I have used both younger students and higher level. We own all the guides. I have used BJU, ABeka, Diana Waring, MOH, and other stand alone curriculums but have found TQH to be excellent. IT brings all things into focus from a historical perspective, shows the beliefs of the day as well as what was happening in gov't, the church, the market place, common home with the elite, etc. It is comprehensive and worth the purchase even just for the commentary. If you have a student that doesn't like to read there is enough information even with just a spine, you don't need to do a heavy amount of reading. If they like to read there are many titles offered. We have not had a problem being able to find something (usually have a large choosing from books offered) from the book lists. The insights offered by Michelle Miller are worth the cost of these books. This is a comprehensive program and well worth the price. It can encompass more than a history credit if different portions are studied. When I had a couple of questions when I was just beginning Michelle Miller has always been available to offer suggestions as well. There is also a yahoo group of users who suppoert each other with questions and comments, where to find ( in regards to book choices or extra things to implement). There is also a buy and sell site attatched.
If you don't enjoy history and want to, or if you do love history , or just want to see the parallels of yesterday to today and the possible tomorrows I'd suggest this curriculum. I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

l8-start

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 29, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009
TruthQuest -American History for Young Students I
Not a good fit for us :(

I guess I am in the minority, but my DD and I did not like TruthQuest history. I really wanted to love it, I really did. I loved the concept and that is was in the Charlotte Mason style, but it just did not work for us. We are more hands on and less reading. My DD is just learning to read so I ended up reading most of the books and she would fall asleep. Here is a pros and cons list.

Pros:
1. Christian world view and shows how history is about what God did through people.

2. Interesting and informative narrations.

3. Extensive book list to choose from.

4. The guide is inexpensive.

Cons:
1. No lesson plans- this was hard for me since I am a list maker/check-er off-er type.

2. Very few activities that involved arts and crafts or cooking

3. many books were out of print, hard to find or too expensive to buy- my public library is pitiful here in the middle of nowhere.

4. too much reading for a beginning reader and for me too!

Needless to say we have switched to a FREE curriculum I found on the web at
Memorable Places American History Grades 2-6

It still uses living books, but it also incorporates crafts (my DD's FAVORITE subject in school...ART)recipes, and links the lesson to science and world history. The best part it is as only heavy on the reading as you want it to be. The lesson plans are done and are available for FREE download.

carla36301

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 31, 2009
  • Grades Used: 4th through 6th
  • Dates used: 2006 through 2009
We used American History for young students I, II, and III for 4th through 6th grade. We loved it! The first year, I tried having him keep a notebook, but that just wasn't working. Finally, I just relaxed, read him the commentary, and we picked books from the list (usually biographies) and sometimes watched movies and documentaries to complement what we studied. We did no tests, but I could see that he was learning. Later in the day, during his play with his legos or action figures, he would recreate what we learned in history that day. (He denies this, however! LOL!) While I loved it, I feel like starting next year in seventh grade we need to go back to a more traditional textbook approach as I want accountability with tests, etc., but we thoroughly loved TruthQuest!