ACE (School of Tomorrow)

mom72016

• Reviewed on Monday, January 16, 2017
  • Grades Used: 1st-12th
  • Dates used: 2001- Current
We've homeschooled for 17 years. During the first few years of our homeschooling journey we used a myriad of curricula, but it wasn't until we found ACE that we knew we had landed on something solid that worked for our family, and we have never looked back. Is ACE a perfect curriculum? No, it is not, but we all know that the perfect one does not exist. As a wise mentor once told me, "The curriculum that works is the one that gets done."

Homeschooling is so much more than academics. It's creating a love of learning, it's character building, relationship building, and instilling a strong work ethic in your children. The curriculum is only one tool in the toolbox of homeschooling. I've now graduated two of our children using the ACE curriculum and they have gone to college, and are successful adults. This, I know, had little to do with the brand of curriculum, and everything to do with teaching my kids HOW to learn and to LOVE learning.

What I love about ACE is that it set me FREE. I stopped wondering if I was teaching my kids enough. I stopped comparing what I was doing with other homeschooling families. I stopped looking at every magazine or website and every new curriculum thinking I was missing out on something great. Settling in on ACE brought incredible peace. It's affordable, requires little prep, is biblically centered, and academically solid. It's "open and go" and easy to transport. We are a very busy and active family so ACE allows us so much flexibility. When I have time, I can supplement other materials (usually media, or art/science projects) and books to expound on what they are learning. On the days I don't have time to do that, it's perfectly fine because I know that ACE by itself is enough. I also love that my children have learned to be independent and take responsibility for their learning.

What my kids love about ACE is, well, pretty much everything. I've asked a couple times if they'd like to try something new and I get a resounding, "No! We love ACE!" They have learned to set their own goals, read explanations of new concepts and try to figure it out on their own before they ask me for help, and feel a sense of accomplishment after finishing each individual pace. They love telling me, "I don't need your help, mom. I've got this. My pace explained it to me." They also adore the characters and how they get to "grow up" with them.

I do "score" my children's work and I do not allow them to do it (which is what is done in an ACE school). This is one thing I do not agree with regarding the suggested way to implement ACE. And the cartoons, sure, they are outdated, and at times legalistic or silly, but my kids still love them and know what we agree with and what we don't. It's a non-issue, and as mentioned already, they adore the characters.

ACE is not for everyone, but that doesn't make it an inferior curriculum. Most people who have this view have either had a bad experience at an ACE school, or they did not use the curriculum correctly or see it all the way through. Because ACE uses a mastery approach, it's slower in the younger grades and picks up around 4th-5th grade. High school is quite intense, as would be expected. Still though, my children were not bogged down with hours upon hours of work. They still had the freedom to work, and be involved in activities and ministry, which was, and is, extremely important to our family.

In conclusion, ACE, while not perfect, is an excellent curriculum that I am thankful we found so many years ago. I would recommend it to anyone.

Mary Jane

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 17, 2016
  • Grades Used: Several Grade Levels
  • Dates used: 2004-2014
Hello! I thought I'd share an article from Pace Success, called "Reasons Students Like ACE". The focus is mostly on teens (teens give their input here) but we also hear from the parents. I thought it was a good article that others here might like to read. Here's the link:

Here's the homepage to this site:

I used ACE for 10 years of our homeschooling- not for all subjects- we used Bible, English, History, Science, Literature and Creative Writing, and Animal Science. Also used ACE Spanish. We really enjoyed ACE when we used it.

Irish mom

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 17, 2016
  • Dates used: 2016
I have just begun home education using the ACE curriculum this Summer and so far so good. I am using ACE kindergarten, ABCs with ACE and Christi and 2nd grade PACEs. I have found the PACES excellent for my two older kids.... They like the layout, the tests and stars on their progress charts. Learning the Bible verses is excellent too. I would be of the opinion that ACE is ahead of the public school actually. What I would say is that I too got the Kindergarten binders but cannot keep up the daily lessons and help the other two children. So I use the Kindergarten PACES and tailor it to my son. I do Maths every day with my second grader and than one of the other subjects IE English, Science etc. I also supplement some phonics and reading books myself so it's not ALL PACES. To me ACE is a curriculum tool I can use, not a tool to rule my day....I would recommend ACE....but use it to your needs and supplement where you feel to. ACE is wonderful to see the kids progress. I supervise and correct all their work, I give them reward stickers and they are not allowed to look at any material during a test. That way I know and they know if they are learning.....

5skoold

• Reviewed on Friday, August 12, 2016
  • Grades Used: Rr01-Rr12 (kindergarten)1001-1012 1st grade
  • Dates used: 2014\2015 2015/2016
I used ACEs kindergarten with Ace and Christi. The package came with 4 large 3 ring binders which were the teachers manuals. It was laid out really nice easy to use. Daily lesson plans which I really appreciate.The kit also came with goal cards a development test, a growth chart, progress report cards a master record sheet a kindergarten graduation certificate, Animal Abc cards the number train which is a train with 10 numbers on each part of a train until it gets to 100 which is alone on the caboose. It also comes with quite a few stickers and several other things. It has 12 Paces per subject. Overall the grade I would give all the material is an A+. The stuff they put in the kits are really nice really worth the money. The customer sevice is AWESOME they will answer the phone in a timely manner and help in any way they can. Ive called I dont know how many times and they are always super friendly and helpful. Unfortunately that's not all I base my opinion about a curriculum on. As for the curriculum itself the Kindergarten really taught what our public schools teach in preschool for 3-4 year olds. I would recommend it as a structured preschool program. They were constantly saying absolutely no writing in Kindergarten in the manual. In our public schools the kids are taught to write all their letters and numbers 0-20.
I also used 1st grade with ACE and Christi and the ABCS with Ace and Christi came with it. It came with 2 large 3 ring binders which were teachers manuals. An ABCs pretest and post test and an ABCs certificate lots of stuff in the student kit. The lessons were laid out well the materials are really nice and it comes with quite a bit of stuff 12 paces per subject. I think ACE is really behind. My cousin Is in the same grade as my daughter and he attends public school he was already reading when coming out of kindergarten, my daughter was too but because I taught her not because of Ace as they don't teach that until 1st grade. His homework was way beyond what ACE was teaching. Everything you do is pretty much memorize fill in the blanks or circle the right answer for instance if you read a story that says "Ace loves wags. Wags loves Ace. Ace and wags are pals." The review would go Ace loves_____. Wags wegs or wogs Wags ______Ace. Loves leaves lost Ace and Wags are_____.pals pens pal (and you choose and fill in the blank) it's literally verbatim what you read in the story. The math is like if you do 1+2. 3+1. 2+1. 1+3 then the review will be the same questions i really dislike that. If your child is good with memorizing chances are he/she could excel and not learn anything in this program. Ive seen people say that they move them up to the next pace level within a year but even if, its still the same basic ,memorize, fill in the blanks, forget and so on. I do love their bible reading I really loved the God-centeredness and kjv (were die hard KJVers in this house :).) I like the dreamesque American family portrayal of Ace and his community but I see this as a CON because nobody is really that perfect and no child (well mine anyways) is really that perfect and even though my kids didn't notice or care other kids may be more observant. It doesn't bother me because I get that they're trying to show kids a model child to follow but seriously he and christi are so perfect in every way I always found it funny. I will probably never use ACE again as I just cant believe how far behind our public schools and alot of the other curriculums the work is.
12345678910...