ACE (School of Tomorrow)

Aliangeleyes

• Reviewed on Friday, October 10, 2014
  • Grades Used: 6th-8th
  • Dates used: 1980-1982
I am currently looking to start homeschooling my son who is 13yo in 8th grade. Considering my daughter as well (10yo). Work only p/t as I have had to drop back my hours to help my son 3-4 hours a day by literally re-teaching him schoolwork and in recent educational diagnostic testing ....found out that while he has a very high IQ, he has two learning disabilities related to executive functioning. I am considering Homeschooling as the public schools could no address his needs the way I can as I know him best. Public systems seem to expect to be able to teach every child the same way and get the same results. He is at risk and may fall through the cracks so to speak....if I don't make a change. There are various other reasons as well but this is the one that I CAN CHANGE....his environment.

All this to say....I am currently researching curriculum to make a prayerful decision and know what I am getting into before I do and to get an idea of whats out there. I had to sign up for and into this discussion from my own personal experience as a child.
When I was 12yo my mother moved my sister and I across the country to another state. When enrolling in public school there we were completely bored and felt like we weren't getting a good education. My mother couldn't home school as she was the only provider for our family.

At any rate, she found private christian schooling to be a fit for us. The school used ACE and we were in that curriculum for three years. We then moved back to our home state. I see why people say you can be at different grade levels because you do go at your own pace. My sister and I had the opportunity to excel beyond our expected level in some areas and take our time in areas we found harder to grasp.

My mother could not afford to send us back to private school nor was homeschooling an option for us. But to the folks out there that think that the program is not good enough or under par???? When we got back to Texas, the public school was disappointed that we were at "different levels" and almost scolded my mother for it.... They demanded assessment to see which grade we "fit" into and I really think they expected the worst....

The good news is that BOTH my sister and I tested one grade ahead of our peers at the same age and actually skipped up a grade in public school after only three years of doing Paces!!!! We both graduated public high school a grade ahead of the friends we left to move away three years before! I WILL be considering ACE in my planning. Though Perhaps it isn't a fit for everyone....I am sure there are plenty of other programs I can supplement into my kids education if needed. GOD IS GOOD!

cjvicker

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 26, 2013
  • Grades Used: K/1st
  • Dates used: 2013
My daughter started with ACE's preschool K4 curriculum last year and it worked very well to teach phonics and writing, so we decided to keep using ACE. This year I used ABC's with Ace and Christi, the 12 week reading program. My daughter was starting K, and although this program moves on to 1st grade curriculum after the 12 week program, this was the perfect fit for her age/ability.
My daughter has some special needs that fall into the speech category, with physical and comprehension/expressive language problems, but you wouldn't know it with how well she did with this program. She loves worksheets, but if your child does not, this may not be a good option, as there are about 8 sheets/lesson and 4 lessons/week. The lessons reviewed everything at the end of each week, which was a bit redundant for us, but was valuable. After only 12 weeks, she is reading BOB books easily, catching on to sight words without much effort on my part, is doing 100% better in reading comprehension, and has all of her phonics down. This was NOT something that medical professionals thought my daughter would be able to do at this age, so we are VERY pleased with this curriculum. On the con side, we did not purchase the animal science or math PACES (used MUS and Lesson Pathways for those) because, from our K4 experience, it was very, very basic and boring for my daughter. Also, the Bible lessons had a verse to be memorized every day, which is way too much for a Kinder. I would have liked a general Bible lesson every week, with each day delving into the character concept more and more. But overall, K4 and ABC's with Ace worked very well for my 5-year-old!!

Pikkewyn

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 29, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4th-7th
  • Dates used: 2008-2013
I attended an ACE school from 5th to 10th grade and I really liked ACE. I was a motivated learner and I really enjoyed working at my own pace. Although I did not appreciate it then, I later began to appreciate ACE's emphasis on Christ-centered learning and Scripture memorization.

When we started homeschooling my son, we kind of decided to do it at the last minute when my job situation changed. I know that is not a good way to get started, but I did not want to put it off another year because my son was beginning to struggle in the public school environment. Because I had so little time to research curricula, I decided to go with what was familiar and what had worked for me. Well, my son is a different person, of course. He did okay with the PACES at first, but became bored with them quickly. He really began falling behind and although I tried to supplement his learning, it was sometimes difficult to find online materials and videos to match a particular objective. Not only that, but doing both was taking a lot of time and I found that my son was getting more out of online sources than from the PACES. I realized that the PACES just were not that effective for the way his brain was wired.

There are several advantages to the ACE program, though:

1. Ease of use. It is very easy to get started with the program. Simply order the PACES and Score Keys that you need. If you are not sure where your child is academically, they have online testing to get you started and fill in any learning gaps.

2. The materials are very inexpensive compared to other curricula. For one, you do not have to order an entire year's curriculum. If you are on a tight budget, you can buy the PACES and Score Keys that you need. Sometimes you can find used Score Keys or even PACES for sale online or through a used curriculum store.

3. Private school option. If you are worried about record keeping or your state is very picky about homeschooling or even if you are homeschooling in another country, you can enroll your child in their private school. I doesn't seem like it was very expensive, but the drawback is that you are limited to ACE curriculum for all subjects. You can't use Abeka for another subject for example. I am also not sure how much support is available for a struggling learner.

If you are just getting started and need a curriculum just to have something, then ACE is a good option. It is also good if you are homeschooling temporarily, such as if you have a sick child or are travelling. Because the cost is so low, it's worth trying, but it is not for everyone.

kykids101

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013
I grew up with abeka, and used it almost my entire childhood. I just assumed that is what we would do with our son. After we both struggled and muddled through 1st grade with abeka, I decided we really needed to make a switch to something else. My friend talked me into trying ACE, and I'm so thankful and grateful she did. Though, it didn't take much convincing. Her daughter is in college with a college scholarship, and is a model for ACE graduates!!! I'm so thankful she talked me into trying the ACE curriculum... No more searching and hunting for books and charts, no more trying to figure out where things were in the myriad of books for just one subject... Instead, ACE gave us everything we need in one book. I put the books we are currently working on in a thin folder, and off we go to the park, library, museums, and such. Its so nice to not have to stay in the house all day. We can take this curriculum anywhere we go. Its so compact! The greatest thing I love about the curriculum is that it has Bible verses and related subjects in every class he is taking. He is being filled academically and spiritually at the same time. I'm so thankful for ACE...! It has literally changed both of our lives! School is no longer a struggle... Its a blessing, and my son is loving school...! The difference is night and day in every aspect....! He is on target for his grade, its accredited, and we are thrilled...!
12345678910...