ACE (School of Tomorrow)

cjvicker

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 26, 2013
  • Grades Used: K/1st
  • Dates used: 2013
My daughter started with ACE's preschool K4 curriculum last year and it worked very well to teach phonics and writing, so we decided to keep using ACE. This year I used ABC's with Ace and Christi, the 12 week reading program. My daughter was starting K, and although this program moves on to 1st grade curriculum after the 12 week program, this was the perfect fit for her age/ability.
My daughter has some special needs that fall into the speech category, with physical and comprehension/expressive language problems, but you wouldn't know it with how well she did with this program. She loves worksheets, but if your child does not, this may not be a good option, as there are about 8 sheets/lesson and 4 lessons/week. The lessons reviewed everything at the end of each week, which was a bit redundant for us, but was valuable. After only 12 weeks, she is reading BOB books easily, catching on to sight words without much effort on my part, is doing 100% better in reading comprehension, and has all of her phonics down. This was NOT something that medical professionals thought my daughter would be able to do at this age, so we are VERY pleased with this curriculum. On the con side, we did not purchase the animal science or math PACES (used MUS and Lesson Pathways for those) because, from our K4 experience, it was very, very basic and boring for my daughter. Also, the Bible lessons had a verse to be memorized every day, which is way too much for a Kinder. I would have liked a general Bible lesson every week, with each day delving into the character concept more and more. But overall, K4 and ABC's with Ace worked very well for my 5-year-old!!

Pikkewyn

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 29, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4th-7th
  • Dates used: 2008-2013
I attended an ACE school from 5th to 10th grade and I really liked ACE. I was a motivated learner and I really enjoyed working at my own pace. Although I did not appreciate it then, I later began to appreciate ACE's emphasis on Christ-centered learning and Scripture memorization.

When we started homeschooling my son, we kind of decided to do it at the last minute when my job situation changed. I know that is not a good way to get started, but I did not want to put it off another year because my son was beginning to struggle in the public school environment. Because I had so little time to research curricula, I decided to go with what was familiar and what had worked for me. Well, my son is a different person, of course. He did okay with the PACES at first, but became bored with them quickly. He really began falling behind and although I tried to supplement his learning, it was sometimes difficult to find online materials and videos to match a particular objective. Not only that, but doing both was taking a lot of time and I found that my son was getting more out of online sources than from the PACES. I realized that the PACES just were not that effective for the way his brain was wired.

There are several advantages to the ACE program, though:

1. Ease of use. It is very easy to get started with the program. Simply order the PACES and Score Keys that you need. If you are not sure where your child is academically, they have online testing to get you started and fill in any learning gaps.

2. The materials are very inexpensive compared to other curricula. For one, you do not have to order an entire year's curriculum. If you are on a tight budget, you can buy the PACES and Score Keys that you need. Sometimes you can find used Score Keys or even PACES for sale online or through a used curriculum store.

3. Private school option. If you are worried about record keeping or your state is very picky about homeschooling or even if you are homeschooling in another country, you can enroll your child in their private school. I doesn't seem like it was very expensive, but the drawback is that you are limited to ACE curriculum for all subjects. You can't use Abeka for another subject for example. I am also not sure how much support is available for a struggling learner.

If you are just getting started and need a curriculum just to have something, then ACE is a good option. It is also good if you are homeschooling temporarily, such as if you have a sick child or are travelling. Because the cost is so low, it's worth trying, but it is not for everyone.

kykids101

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013
I grew up with abeka, and used it almost my entire childhood. I just assumed that is what we would do with our son. After we both struggled and muddled through 1st grade with abeka, I decided we really needed to make a switch to something else. My friend talked me into trying ACE, and I'm so thankful and grateful she did. Though, it didn't take much convincing. Her daughter is in college with a college scholarship, and is a model for ACE graduates!!! I'm so thankful she talked me into trying the ACE curriculum... No more searching and hunting for books and charts, no more trying to figure out where things were in the myriad of books for just one subject... Instead, ACE gave us everything we need in one book. I put the books we are currently working on in a thin folder, and off we go to the park, library, museums, and such. Its so nice to not have to stay in the house all day. We can take this curriculum anywhere we go. Its so compact! The greatest thing I love about the curriculum is that it has Bible verses and related subjects in every class he is taking. He is being filled academically and spiritually at the same time. I'm so thankful for ACE...! It has literally changed both of our lives! School is no longer a struggle... Its a blessing, and my son is loving school...! The difference is night and day in every aspect....! He is on target for his grade, its accredited, and we are thrilled...!

SuperMaman

• Reviewed on Friday, July 26, 2013
  • Grades Used: k-5
  • Dates used: 2005-2010
At the beginning, we were very pleased with the program. Our daughter developped a desire to learn and was very proficient in her work. However, starting in grade 4, we noticed that she was slacking on her work and found out that she was utterly bored with the curriculum because it was too easy.

We now use the Monarch curriculum from AOP and she loves it. There is more hands on and we can order a complete science kit from HomeScienceTools.com that specifically made for this program and for each grade. She simply adores it.

I do not deny that ACE is a good curriculum but it was not working for our daughter. She needed something a little more "mature".
12345678910...