Teaching Textbooks

momstheteacher

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 26, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 6th, 7th
  • Dates used: 2012-present
I want to love this program.
Pros.
Instant marking
Little to no parental involvement.
Perfect for a child with Dysgraphia

Cons.
-Grade levels don't match up with most other curriculum. (grade 3 is more like grade 2, etc).
-Doesn't replace the needed parental guidance to maintain previously learned material.

My Son has used grade 6 and grade 7. While he will continue to use this program (because of his Dysgraphia, it is the only program that allows most of his work to be done on the computer), we have to supplement with another curriculum to prevent loss of material learned.

My daughter used Abeka from grades K-2. We switched to TT3, about 2/3 of the way through grade 2. While the curriculum is 'fun' for her and she likes it, she has lost a lot of the ground that Abeka covered. She is back to counting on her fingers and doesn't recall basic math facts that were standard in Abeka.

I really want to love this program. It is everyone that one would want in a math program, but for some reason it just doesn't cement the material learned in their brains the same way other curriculums do.

kezguinan

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 13, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4 & pre algebra
  • Dates used: 2012-present
First off, math is not my strong point. Needless to say, I was ecstatic that this program was going to take the teaching off my hands.

It worked for both of my children. If a concept was not understood, we just started over on that unit and repeated.

I like how they are constantly being tested daily on concepts from the whole year.

Daily grading was helpful too. It allowed me to see what they were having trouble with and if we needed to review a problem together.

I use Singaopore Math with another one of my children and even comparing both curriculums, they are just different. From what I can see, whichever math program you choose, it will have it's own curriculum. Therefore, one concept might not appear on the same year as another curriculum. I know with standardized testing, I will have to supplement due to the fact that each curriculum is different.

We will continue with Teaching Textbooks this year and am praying we all get through Algebra 1!

jennydbragg

• Reviewed on Friday, May 17, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
My daughter used the 3rd grade TT math program this year. She liked the computer instruction and I liked not having to teach math:) I thought all was going well since she was scoring 100% for most of the lessons. All the joy turned to tears though at the end of year testing. We use the Terra Nova and my daughter was not prepared for 40-50% of the questions on the test. I knew the program was "behind" but never imagined this much. My daughter had always scored very high in math but this year devastated her. I've since started her at LU#3 CLE math and we will work through the summer to get her caught up. She's learning things in the Light Unit that TT3 never even addressed. I really wish it could have worked for us. For my kids however, a computer can't replace real one on one teaching.

***UPDATE***
we just finished our testing. My daughter did the TerraNova grade 4. She aced her math!!!! I was extremely surprised since we are just finishing the 3rd grade CLE math (never got around to doing summer math:) Just wanted to share my experience with others exploring TT. For over $100 for a curriculum you would expect it to teach concepts consistent with the grade level.

Last note...to my surprise, after my daughter became familiar with the LightUnits she worked through them independently. (I grade after she is finished of course.) I spent the same amount of time with TT that I did with her workbooks.

hil

• Reviewed on Monday, January 7, 2013
  • Grades Used: 9th, 11th
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
Both my boys have struggled with math. I have struggled with teaching them because it is most certainly not my strength. I got lost in school myself in Algebra I. Teaching Textbooks has allowed me to learn the lessons along with my sons and help them through. I am now learning the math that I didn't learn in school, and my boys are doing much better. I like the fact that we can watch the videos together, review as often as needed, and see how to correctly do problems that have been completed wrong.

We plan to stick with Teaching Textbooks. They work for us!

12345678910...