Teaching Textbooks

ErinD

• Reviewed on Monday, April 18, 2016
  • Grades Used: 8th/algebra
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
I bought this algebra program for two reasons: we needed more instruction and more review. It has delivered in both respects. My son has a MUCH firmer grasp of algebra now, compared to when he was using a different math program. He's also solidified many other math concepts that he had partially forgotten (like dividing fractions and negative numbers) and the constant review of TT keeps it fresh.

It does take up a lot of his time. We're just using the book (no CD's) and it probably averages a bit more than an hour a day, but I don't think that amount of time is unreasonable at this level.

The only real complaint I have about TT is that the answer key is just answers - no solutions. I realize I'm supposed to buy the CD's for this because there is a solutions CD, but I really didn't want to spend the extra $150 just for solutions. The only time we really need more than the right answer is for the word problems, of which there are two in each lesson. It would be nice if they provided the correct equation in the answer key! But so far we have always eventually figured it out.

For a kid who needs thorough explanations and constant review, I highly recommend Teaching Textbooks.

mathisajoke

• Reviewed on Monday, March 9, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
This got me sent to ***** public school where people are literally retarded.

momstheteacher

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 26, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 6th, 7th
  • Dates used: 2012-present
I want to love this program.
Pros.
Instant marking
Little to no parental involvement.
Perfect for a child with Dysgraphia

Cons.
-Grade levels don't match up with most other curriculum. (grade 3 is more like grade 2, etc).
-Doesn't replace the needed parental guidance to maintain previously learned material.

My Son has used grade 6 and grade 7. While he will continue to use this program (because of his Dysgraphia, it is the only program that allows most of his work to be done on the computer), we have to supplement with another curriculum to prevent loss of material learned.

My daughter used Abeka from grades K-2. We switched to TT3, about 2/3 of the way through grade 2. While the curriculum is 'fun' for her and she likes it, she has lost a lot of the ground that Abeka covered. She is back to counting on her fingers and doesn't recall basic math facts that were standard in Abeka.

I really want to love this program. It is everyone that one would want in a math program, but for some reason it just doesn't cement the material learned in their brains the same way other curriculums do.

kezguinan

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 13, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4 & pre algebra
  • Dates used: 2012-present
First off, math is not my strong point. Needless to say, I was ecstatic that this program was going to take the teaching off my hands.

It worked for both of my children. If a concept was not understood, we just started over on that unit and repeated.

I like how they are constantly being tested daily on concepts from the whole year.

Daily grading was helpful too. It allowed me to see what they were having trouble with and if we needed to review a problem together.

I use Singaopore Math with another one of my children and even comparing both curriculums, they are just different. From what I can see, whichever math program you choose, it will have it's own curriculum. Therefore, one concept might not appear on the same year as another curriculum. I know with standardized testing, I will have to supplement due to the fact that each curriculum is different.

We will continue with Teaching Textbooks this year and am praying we all get through Algebra 1!
12345678910...