Christian Light Sunrise Math

JenniferB

• Reviewed on Sunday, December 15, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st-3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-Present
The first math program we tried was mastery-based. We stuck with it for over two years but had poor retention. I had to continually research concepts, my daughter's math confidence suffered and we fell behind.

After trying a partial spiral with a cramped layout we decided to try CLE after reading rave reviews.I'm so glad we did, I'm never going back.

Why do we love it? So many reasons!

This is a traditional math program. It focuses on facts, concepts, and procedures. It does include a story problem each day and includes mental math techniques, never fear. Daily flash card work and speed drills are included. Do get the addition flash cards, you can use any multiplication flash cards or app though.

I don't have to plan extra review or research large concepts that have been forgotten. We review frequently, we have great retention, we LOVE the spiral.

Great layout! Very age appropriate, pages aren't overwhelming, very clear. Children write in the books, no copying needed. I'm very happy to pay $33/level, the books are quite sturdy for the price, quality paper. Encourages independent work early on, written to students in 2nd and up. Easy to plan, just do one lesson each day.

Great teacher manual, scripted when needed, full page visuals of student pages with answers. Not too many parts - just the LUs and the TM (LUs include all needed quizzes, tests).

Best of all? I have confident children!

At the beginning of 4th my oldest begged not to do math. Maybe she wasn't ready for formal math yet (she told me). I have had NO complaints at all with CLE and we're in our second year now. I think the lack of retention frustrated her as much as it did me.

Do take the free diagnostic test (printable PDF at their site). The scope and sequence is somewhat ambitous and many children work 1-2 grades back if transferring in. With our previous experiences she placed into 2nd, but she is absolutely blossoming! CLE for everyone at our house from here on out!

frankiec

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 13, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd, 3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-present
I started my daughter in kindergarten with another math program. By the middle of first grade it became apparent that although it worked well for my son, it was not a good fit for her. Since she was already using CLE for several other subjects, I decided to try her in their math too.

She did not like it at first because there were no manipulatives or videos like the other program. However, once she got over that, it worked well and she started understanding math much better because of the spiral approach. The lessons introduce concepts in small bites each day then do review. There's also 1 minute drills to improve speed and accuracy as well as quizzes and tests. Math still may not be her favorite subject, but at least she is no longer struggling.

Next year (7th grade) my son will also do CLE for math to fill the "gap" before pre-algebra.

Temara

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2011/2012
Love this Math program.....We will be keeping it through high school. It is simple and it is simply taught. The program just adds gentle layers weeks in advance before the concept is given. By then the child already knows what is coming and has a great idea on how to do this. It is a very inexpensive program.My son actually loves forward to the 1st part of each lesson where he gets to learn something new. One thing I regret is that I did not order the flashcards with the program. I think that this is a must looking back. I did go ahead and order then with my daughter's 1st grade year and it works better for us. The bad thing is that if you have a 1 grader and a 2 grader you will have to order 2 different sets of these flashcards. They are set up to change and move with each book and cannot be used by two different grade levels. All in all we love this math program.

MichelleMyBell

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 23, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th
  • Dates used: 2010 to present
After many years of frustration with math we found Christian Light. It has been a huge blessing to my family and has worked with all of my kids. It is extremely easy to teach. All I do each day is open up the TM and do the following:

Oral Drill: At grade level 2 this includes things like count by 10's starting at 13 and stop at 103.

Speed Drill: We do the daily timed speed drills most days. Sometimes we skip them. It also includes graphing which is a fun touch for the kids.

Flashcards: I don't really do these often but it is a great system. We tend to use either the flashmaster or xtra math online.

New Concept: I go through the new concept with the child, do the sample problems with them and then they do a few problems on their own.

We Remember: This is a great section that continually reviews material they have been learning. Usually about 4-8 problems per previous concept. Because they review so much, it really gets the concepts to stick in their heads. It is a variety of different things such as clocks, addition, subtraction, fractions, geometry etc...

The first four items I listed are done with me and take about 5-10 minutes tops. The last item takes about 20 minutes and is done independently. Sometimes you may have to help them remember something or help them read a story problem but it is independent. This is great because I have 3 younger kids currently using CLE and while one is working on their Drill, Flashcards and New Concept, the others can be working on their Reveiw work.

What I love is that a hard concept is often introduced at its most basic level. Once the child is familiar with it, they continue to add layers to help build the child's mathematical understanding till they reach the most difficult concept. By the time the child gets there however, they have understood each layer so well that it is not hard for them. CLE really builds understanding.

Now I will also say that I have 2 older daughters who are also using CLE. They have both struggled with math until they started using CLE. It is wonderful because all the above applies but I will also add that CLE gradually builds a child into independence. Once they reach 4th or 5th grade, they should be working pretty much on their own. All I do is grade their quizzes and tests. They grade their own daily work so they can see where they messed up and learn from it. The TM have full copies of the workbooks in them with all the answers completely worked out for the child.

On top of all I said above, CLE is inexpensive. A whole years worth of curriculum is $33.00. The TM are $7.00 each (There are two of them in the 2nd grade level). I had a few math manipulatives that I had from previous years but some items I found helpful to also have are:
100 Chart
Ruler (both inches & centimeters)
Judy clock
Real Coins

Each years program includes 10 workbooks. Each workbook has two quizzes and 1 test included in it. The small workbooks have 16 lessons in them each.

The first book of each grade is a review book of the previous grade and if you decide to school year round or you are changing grade levels mid year because you finished the last book in that grade level, you have the option of skipping the first book of the next grade which accelerates your child's learning.