Christian Light Sunrise Math

MorningSong

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 31, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st-5th (100-510)
  • Dates used: 2009-2014
I’ve used CLE math 100-510 with two children. One is very good with math and the other struggles, but it has worked for both. CLE teaches incrementally with review of concepts in each lesson.

The TM is scripted for the early years. You use everyday items like beans for counting, rulers, measuring tape, yardstick, and real money, so the only extra expense was the flash cards which are used to warm-up before each lesson as well as daily speed drills. I did not time one of my children for the speed drills because it caused too much anxiety, but we still found them beneficial.

There are 10 LightUnits. Each LU introduces a new concept and your student practices that concept and then the rest of the lesson is review of previously taught material. There are two quizzes in each LU at lesson 5 and 10. This is a good indicator if your student is comprehending the material before going further, so they can review with you. Lesson 15 is followed by the end of LU test. Your child must receive an 80% or higher to progress to the next LU. One of my children had to repeat 2 LU’s because of this and it was a good thing. We used the alternate LU test in the TM and my child scored 100% the second time around. Math is foundational and CLE is good for knowing when your child has mastery of concepts or needs more time.

This is a well-organized math curriculum that teaches to the student starting the end of second grade. My son enjoyed being able to go through his math lessons on his own. My daughter needed me to sit with her more and read the new concepts with her most of the time which is fine, too. She just learns better this way. CLE still worked well for both my children.

Pros-
Can be completed independently starting the end of the 200 level and up
Constant review so old concepts are not forgotten
Well organized and routine
Plenty of room to complete all math work in the workbook
Two color pages are clean (not distracting) with lots of space to complete work

Cons-
Consumable
I feel CLE lacks in the amount of story problems offered.
There are usually only two per lesson although once in a while there will be add-on questions to the story problems, resulting in 3-4 total story problems. This is simply not enough to learn when to apply concepts and how.
My math loving child went on to a different math that most times was all word problems in a lesson and they usually required multiple steps to get the numbers required to find the answer. He was a bit overwhelmed by this. I think more practice in this area would have helped him greatly.
My other child always struggled with when to apply concepts in story problems and she would have benefitted from more practice than one or two. I need to go through the first couple with her before she can handle this process on her own and feel comfortable.

Final thoughts-
CLE is an excellent choice for many types of learners.
It is easy to use for both parent and child.
I would recommend it, but I would also add a supplement that would add word problem practice to each lesson.

citrine

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 15, 2014
  • Grades Used: 5th, 6th, began 7th
  • Dates used: 2012-present
We skipped around a lot with math. We started out with Singapore in preK, then A Beka until she started getting frustrated with the end of year "jam material at you at lightning speed... try to keep up!" that we experienced each year. We tried Horizons; but I needed a little more instruction than what they gave in the teacher's manual. We did Teaching Textbooks 6 when she tested into that level, thinking it would be good when she gets to the upper level math in high school to have the instruction and grading on the computer. I was not happy with all she had forgotten she learned by the time she was done using TT.

About that time, I saw some online discussions where other moms were frustrated with some of the same things I was frustrated with. Some people mentioned that CLE teaches directly to the student, but doesn't jam the material in at the end of the year that maybe should wait until the next year, (or at least give them more time to learn it).

After completing TT6 with good grades, I had dd take the placement test for CLE. She placed into 5th grade, so that's where we began. We school year round, so we just kept going with it and skipped 601 (which would be review for those who take a summer break or need a review).

This year, however, when she finished CLE 6, I got the bug to try Life of Fred again. We did it as a supplement in the past. She needs the spiral review that CLE has. She loves the geometry all throughout the books and the brain-teaser type of short lessons on two days in each book. We're back to CLE 7 and she loves it.

JenniferB

• Reviewed on Sunday, December 15, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st-3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-Present
The first math program we tried was mastery-based. We stuck with it for over two years but had poor retention. I had to continually research concepts, my daughter's math confidence suffered and we fell behind.

After trying a partial spiral with a cramped layout we decided to try CLE after reading rave reviews.I'm so glad we did, I'm never going back.

Why do we love it? So many reasons!

This is a traditional math program. It focuses on facts, concepts, and procedures. It does include a story problem each day and includes mental math techniques, never fear. Daily flash card work and speed drills are included. Do get the addition flash cards, you can use any multiplication flash cards or app though.

I don't have to plan extra review or research large concepts that have been forgotten. We review frequently, we have great retention, we LOVE the spiral.

Great layout! Very age appropriate, pages aren't overwhelming, very clear. Children write in the books, no copying needed. I'm very happy to pay $33/level, the books are quite sturdy for the price, quality paper. Encourages independent work early on, written to students in 2nd and up. Easy to plan, just do one lesson each day.

Great teacher manual, scripted when needed, full page visuals of student pages with answers. Not too many parts - just the LUs and the TM (LUs include all needed quizzes, tests).

Best of all? I have confident children!

At the beginning of 4th my oldest begged not to do math. Maybe she wasn't ready for formal math yet (she told me). I have had NO complaints at all with CLE and we're in our second year now. I think the lack of retention frustrated her as much as it did me.

Do take the free diagnostic test (printable PDF at their site). The scope and sequence is somewhat ambitous and many children work 1-2 grades back if transferring in. With our previous experiences she placed into 2nd, but she is absolutely blossoming! CLE for everyone at our house from here on out!

frankiec

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 13, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd, 3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-present
I started my daughter in kindergarten with another math program. By the middle of first grade it became apparent that although it worked well for my son, it was not a good fit for her. Since she was already using CLE for several other subjects, I decided to try her in their math too.

She did not like it at first because there were no manipulatives or videos like the other program. However, once she got over that, it worked well and she started understanding math much better because of the spiral approach. The lessons introduce concepts in small bites each day then do review. There's also 1 minute drills to improve speed and accuracy as well as quizzes and tests. Math still may not be her favorite subject, but at least she is no longer struggling.

Next year (7th grade) my son will also do CLE for math to fill the "gap" before pre-algebra.