Writing Strands

seven in heaven

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 12, 2011
  • Grades Used: 4th and 5th
  • Dates used: 2010/2011
I really wanted to love this, because I do love writing myself. My kids love it also, but this program did NOT work for us. I finally decided that is was way too technical for my kids. It is SO broken down (4 days on how to write a sentence) and simplified, that it actually confused my kids more. Sometimes it seemed like all this time was spent on very specific skills, then BOOM they had to write something on thier own that I did not feel they were prepared for. I got level 4 for this year and when I got it out, I could tell they were dreading it. I am now looking for another program, sadly.

momma2five

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 19, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd through 8th
  • Dates used: 2006-present
This is the coolest writing program! Some get so bogged down and boring, Writing Strands doesn't. It's humorous, it's quick, it's thorough. It provides structure but it also opens up plenty of opportunities for kids to have to come up with their own concepts. That to me, in a nut shell, is what writing is all about. Sometimes you have to write something very specific (even if it is about something you dislike) and sometimes you have to write something with very open ended direction. Both concepts present their own challenges and both must be mastered.

Lots of great concepts are taught in each of the levels.

Em & D's Momma

• Reviewed on Wednesday, November 19, 2008
  • Grades Used: 4th...
  • Dates used: 2008 -
We've enjoyed using Writing Strands and bought it upon the recommendation of My Father's World.

Unfortunately, MFW didn't last with our family... but WS did!

My 9 yr. old is a great reader with a good vocabulary but simply did not "get" writing. We started with WS3 in September and it quickly became her favorite "subject."

The series, beginning at level 3, can be used with multiple ages and can easily be tweaked to match the needs of the child - i.e., if your child doesn't want to write about ducks, have him write about fish. :)

We use this in conjunction with Primary/Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl - using WS3 two or three times a week and PLL the other days.

Recommended.

seemaravi

• Reviewed on Friday, February 29, 2008
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
i, personally, LOVE this curriculum. we r doing level 3.i like that it teaches so many different kinds of writing (descriptive,informitive,etc.) i love that it is so detail-oriented. My son's writing has improved alot in the past 6 months:) We STRONGLY encourage this curriculum.