Sing Spell Read & Write

Stacey828

• Reviewed on Monday, October 20, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
We used this for our 1rst grader and he loves it!! This is his first year being homeschooled so we wanted something to grab his attention and very fun so he didnt get bored. and he loves it so far!! the first 6 weeks roughly are a bit boring in my opinion and my sons.. the leson includes the same 4 pages basically that you have to do every day. a color page, cut and past, handwriting, and connect the dots.. same thing different letter. He still does well and he is very excited to move to the next book!!
i do think its over priced but i love it and do not regret it at all

MamaX3

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 22, 2011
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
We shyed away from this program because of the price, but eventually bit the bullet and gave it a try. It has made a huge difference in my Grade 2's reading level. Likes: well laid out lessons and easy to teach. My daughter thrived with this program. Dislikes: PRICE! Way, way, way overpriced!! CD's are useless. The songs are very fast paced and I didn't find that they in any way helped my DD retain anything. However, I think it might work better for my middle child, as she has a different learning style. Games are a bit too repetitive and time consuming and we started skipping them once she had mastered the concept. She did enjoy them though. This IS a time consuming curriculum. This is to be expected. We're talking about phonics, reading, writing, grammar, spelling and vocab. That takes time!! you don't have to do it all at once, and like I said, you will find you can skip things here and there. My one irritation is the spelling words. The lists are extensive and I find that the procession doesn't always match up. For example. One step will say it takes 2 days to complete...and they tell you to give 10 new words per day...but then they give 40 spelling words to teach. Not a huge deal and easy to fix...but for the price I paid, I expect perfection.

Lauri P

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 12, 2010
  • Dates used: 2003, 2006, current
I used SSRW for my first son who we later found out has Asperger's Syndrome. This worked with him because it put the 1st sounds together and then added the last sound instead of the more common word families and rhyming words. He liked the songs well enough and liked moving his race car. In fact here nearly 7 years later, he comments that we never finished it and wants to! I can still sing those songs! My younger son was listening when I was working with the older one, and he learned to read on his own. Seriously, I never formally taught him to read, and he is now reading at a higher level than the first. I did use it for awhile with #2, but the writing was too much for him and he already knew the sounds and how to put them together. So we just read the lists and had him spell them out loud at that time. Then went on with a different reading book. Our youngest son is now attempting to learn to read, or I should say I am attempting to have him learn. He is often frustrated to tears with our current curriculum . I am ready to go back to SSRW. The way you put the words together works so much better. If the songs are too fast, just sing them without the music at your own speed. Or chant or even just say them.

Christine D'Amic

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 11, 2009
  • Grades Used: First Grade
  • Dates used: February 2009
NOTE: The author is not a homeschooler - rather she has used SSRW with homeschooled children and as a classroom teacher/tutor. It has been edited to remove obvious advertising and linking to other sites. HSR Staff

Sing, Spell, Read & Write is the best reading, writing, spelling program on the market bar none. I am a reading expert working in New York City and have used the program for 16 years as a tutor (one-on-one) and a classroom teacher. The results I get are incredible.
Here are a few tips for those of you who are going to use this program and concerned perhaps that it's too much as did the previous reviewer.
1 - IF your child is catching on move them quickly through the program. You can do Steps 1, 2, 3, & 4 simultaneously. Move your child so he or she doesn't get bored!
2 - To remediate - Your child should use the games, songs and you as the teacher ought to vary your activities with your child. Don't get bogged down if your child masters a Step move them on!
3 - DO do all the spelling - and wrap your spelling around the program. Once you've reached Step 11 with your child begin written spelling tests starting with the Short A words (5 a day will do.)
Children love SSR&W, the stories are so well written and child friendly, and the workbooks are comprehensive .
If you have a child who is young, say 4 years old, you can start them reading with this program
Also, if you have a group of kids, teaching them together is fun as well. They love the games and the contest of seeing who moves ahead first.
12345678910...