Spelling Workout

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 24, 2015
  • Grades Used: D
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
We used Spelling Workout D, pared with Word Study for the majority of this school year. My son enjoyed the program but he retained very little. I don't that that it necessarily the programs fault, I think my son just completed the activities without paying much attention to the words he was writing them out.

We switched to Sequential Spelling and absolutely loves it, but more importantly he is retaining knowledge. Honestly, I am surprised by how well he is doing with this program. He actually asks for spelling now... weird.

Becky Peterson

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 28, 2014
  • Dates used: 2009-2014
I have been using Spelling Workout every year since 2009.

Pros: Each lesson concentrates on a phonetic rule (digraphs, i before e). Takes about 3-4 days per week, about 10-15 minutes per day. Kids can do this independently.

Cons: Naturally good spellers can mow through this. Others miss a lot of words if they just do the exercises in the book. We dropped this for 2 yrs and tried Rod & Staff for my middle child, then tried All About Spelling, and now we are back to Spelling Workout (but supplementing spelling games and lots of writing practice of the words).

I don't consider this busy work. Spelling is daily, repetitive, and can get boring like math. But in that practice, rules are memorized and spelling can be mastered. No grown up thinks of the word 'tale' and then mentally lists all the ways to spell long 'a.' We simply spell the right word that we memorized, whether it's the tale you tell, or the tail on a cat.

My younger kids have trouble spelling, so we spend 15 minutes per day on Spelling Workout:

M: read the words, do exercise 1, write them all on a piece of paper.
T: read the words, exercise 2-3
W: write all the words once and again trying from memory. Practice saying and memorizing in syllables.
R: Quiz on all words (missed words are written two times), finish lesson. Do activity if desired. Play a game with letter tiles
F: Study, and take a spelling test. Everyone gets candy!

This works for us. Happy Spelling!

• Reviewed on Friday, May 25, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2014
We used SW for a few years and for the kid who was a natural speller, it was fine. It was busy work, but it was fine.
For the kid who wasn't a natural speller, it was a disaster. We added in more hands on stuff, I tried to do as much as I could to help him catch on to the spelling words, but overall the program just didn't cut it.

We switched out of SW completely this year. I won't be using it again in the future.

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 28, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st, 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
My son struggled with spelling and at first found these very tedious and boring. Now I am finding them useful for supplementing AAS, which really helped us. I plan to use some of the lessons as refresher course over the summer. Like the other reviewers, I tried Spelling Workout on recommendation of Well-Trained Mind and found they didn't do the job.