Spelling Workout

kaybee

• Reviewed on Friday, May 25, 2012
  • Grades Used: K/1st and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
My 2nd grader worked through Spelling workout B and part of C this year. It is a lot of 'busy work', so to speak - but it's relatively simple, and I think doing a page each day reinforces the words in their brain. :) We do 1 page each Monday-Thursday and a test on Friday. I never bought the teacher manuals up to this point - I do have one for D that a friend gave me, so I may look through that next year when he's doing it to see if it adds anything helpful.
My K/1st grader just started Spelling workout A about halfway through the year. He says spelling is one of his favorite subjects ;) - it's simple, and doing worksheets gives him extra (much needed!) handwriting practice. In the first week, he was missing a lot on his spelling test (like 4-6 out of 6!) but now he's starting to pick up on how spelling works more and is doing much better.
Overall, I think SW is straightforward, and that it works. Both boys will be using it again next year.

BPenna

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 28, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st, 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
My son struggled with spelling and at first found these very tedious and boring. Now I am finding them useful for supplementing AAS, which really helped us. I plan to use some of the lessons as refresher course over the summer. Like the other reviewers, I tried Spelling Workout on recommendation of Well-Trained Mind and found they didn't do the job.

fdr

• Reviewed on Friday, October 2, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009
I bought this book on the recommendation of some other homeschoolers that I know. I wasn't too excited about it when I first got the book, but I figured that we could use while I look for something else. As time has gone on, I've grown to like it less and less.
Each section contains works that have something in common, perhaps the way their long e is built. A little blurb tells the student what the relationship is, but that is as far as the program goes to building an understanding of phonics and consequently how to build words in English. I've reviewed these rules with my kids and they haven't understood them because the program doesn't make them practice them. The worksheets all have the words in a list directly on them, so the child simply has to copy the word instead of exercise his/her spelling abilities.
This program is busy work, not really what I had in mind when I went searching for a spelling curriculum. The kids really like to do the worksheets, but they aren't learning how to spell from them.

ArwenA

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 8, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd-4th
  • Dates used: 2006-2008
Even though my daughter is a natural speller I've found SWO to be a success. We work a level above her grade so that the work isn't too easy. The activities help to enhance the lessons and teach in a fun way.
I've found no need for the teacher's guide at these levels as I now how to spell the words and can make the curriculum suite our schedule and speed at which we work through the lessons.