Spelling Power (Castlemoyle Books)

mom2caleb7503

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 10, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-present
We started using Spelling Power just 9 weeks ago. My DS is a young 3rd grader (turned 8 in July), so while I wanted to do the program the way it's intended, we did have to backpedal and go the route for the younger students. He is doing so well in spelling. He's always struggled, and it baffled me how/why he couldn't catch on. So far, he's made a 100 on each test except for one, and I couldn't be happier. I think his success is proof to him that HE CAN SPELL! I am very pleased with this purchase, and I can't wait to see his spelling ability continue to improve!

seven in heaven

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 7, 2011
  • Grades Used: 4th and 5th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
As a first year homeschooler of 5 children I will say this program was a lot to prepare for, but I do feel it was worth it. Once you take the time to learn how the program works, it is easy to apply. Get past the technical part, the boring video, and just start. This program appealed to me greatly because it eliminates your child's wasted time of drills, worksheets, and useless repetition of words they already know how to spell. In public school, I saw my children have to do "packets" containing lots of work/rules over words they could spell on their own anyway. My son is a strong speller so I especially like this format for him. Why waste his time writing and REwriting 25 words in a list? As for my daughter, she is a weak speller so of course this program makes sense for her, too. Long lists of words are overwhelming for her, and with Spelling Power, she is really practicing the 2-3 words (at the most) that she misses on that day's 5 minute test. It just makes sense. Expect that like all curriculum, you will need to be prepared and read how to do this. If you do not want to take the time to learn it, don't get this program. I do think it is a good stategy and worth my time.

MirandaL_99

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 21, 2010
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 3rd
  • Dates used: 2009
I couldn't understand how to use it. I read and re-read the instructions, I even called the company and she told me what to do, which is what I'd already done. I guess it would be a good guide just to use the words, but I couldn't even figure out how to determine where to start my kids! It was very complicated, all those pages to read just to figure out how to use the curriculum!!

4girlsmom

• Reviewed on Friday, November 13, 2009
  • Dates used: 2005
We have loved Spelling Power. We have used it for 4 years now. I especially like that I don't have to buy a spelling book every year. Our daughters are excellent spellers and enjoy Spelling Power.